ludi´s ´90 S13 CA18DET

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Looking good :)

ludi
Car: ´90 Nissan S13 CA18DET

Shortly before the end of the season, the conversion to an external wastegate was implemented. A China manifold was adapted accordingly, an MV-R Tial wastegate was installed, a TIAL exhaust housing with .86 A/R was used, a new 100 cell metal catalytic converter was installed and a new downpipe was welded. The air conditioning line above the manifold was removed for the time being and the connections sealed with plugs. Here are a few pictures of the rebuild. We had initially mounted the wastegate the wrong way around - something like that just happens after 3 days of building, flexing and welding. :crazy:

The first tests went well - can pressure (0.4bar) was kept very clean. Unfortunately, with the 3-port Mac valve only a boost pressure of 1.1bar is possible. A 4-port Mac valve is already ordered. Let's see if we can push the setup a bit this season.

Best Regards, ludi

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Look at that tiny little flex pipe section! I didn't know they even made them that small.
Also, nice job on the header wrap ;)

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Looking good, as always! Thanks for keeping the updates coming.

ludi

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:28 am
Look at that tiny little flex pipe section! I didn't know they even made them that small.
Also, nice job on the header wrap ;)
From my point of view, these flexible pieces are absolutely necessary for an external wastegate so that the tube does not crack due to tension. They are also available in smaller sizes. :) The wrapping of the manifold is a scratchy affair, but we already have some practice in it. :) Thanks for the praise!
float_6969 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:23 am
Looking good, as always! Thanks for keeping the updates coming.
Thank you for the good feedback! If everything would not work so great, I would not have such good and capable friends. :)

Best Regards, ludi

ludi

At the weekend it went again a piece further. Among other things, the 4-port Mac valve, black trim strips and a belt set arrived. Shortly after the conversion to external wastegate my servo belt started to squeak and was therefore now replaced.

Then the BBS rims were again exchanged for the WEDS, but before that times a set of Kosei rims were mounted for testing and must say that I like it pretty well. Otherwise, I do not like black rims so 100%. But I will probably provide these with tires. :)

Then the 4-port valve from MAC was installed and hosed to the wastegate. Position is good and I will probably print a holder for it. Transitionally now first again mounted with cable ties - let's see how long in the end this solution remains so again. :)

Result is exactly as expected - my buddy / tuner has got the regulation very quickly clean and the boost pressure is now at 1.5bar and even after the gear changes he reaches it perfectly without overshooting. :yesnod We have now but for now not gone further, because there is a problem with the fuel supply. Shortly after the conversion has already noticed a lean mixture. He had to raise the opening times already so far that it is now obvious that my FPR makes problems. Therefore, I have now ordered a kit from BAT-Motorsport for the conversion to an AEM-FPR. Unfortunately, there is the OEM-FPR no longer new ... Should the fuel problem be solved with it, I hope that we can still go so on 1.7-1.8bar for this season. :)

Best Regards, ludi

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Good work!
Hopefully you can get the fuel issues dialed out. Keep us posted!

float_6969

I've had good luck with the NISMO adjustable FPR, but you'll have no issues with the AEM one for sure. Are you sure you're fuel pump is up to the task? I couldn't remember if that had been upgraded or not.

ludi

float_6969 wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:34 am
I've had good luck with the NISMO adjustable FPR, but you'll have no issues with the AEM one for sure. Are you sure you're fuel pump is up to the task? I couldn't remember if that had been upgraded or not.
I replaced my old 300ZX Turbo fuelpump at the start of the season with a new DW300 Fuel pump. I think the fuel pump is strong enough and I hope it not started to fail after 2000km.
PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:12 am
Good work!
Hopefully you can get the fuel issues dialed out. Keep us posted!
Thank you! Yes, I will keep you up to date. We are pretty sure, this is the issue. Otherwise I think it is no bad idea to replace suge a important part. :)

Best Regards, ludi

ludi

It went a little further again. :) To the weekend some parts arrived. Among other things, I got me an insert for the spare wheel well from the Smart. I think it's a good solution to either store something there, or in my case, cover something. Unfortunately, although the WMI tank was looking out, but it is important to me that the system is protected when I transport something in the trunk. I will then install this over the winter.

The complete parts for the conversion to an adjustable AEM-FPR have also all arrived. From my point of view super processed, inconspicuous and compact. I like it very much!

On Saturday I started early. First, a holder was made, but I would like to build (let) eventually again neater. My solution works, but is now not 100% neatly worked. Then the BDR built together.

Unfortunately, I then had big problems with the screws on the original FPR - no idea why there the engineers have considered these soft screws only with cross screw socket to provide ... In the end I had to remove the injection bar and luckily my buddy was in his hall and could help me with the screw. :)

The adapter from BAT-Motorsport is also very neatly finished and fits great.

Everything was cleaned again and then it was time to install the parts.

3bar gasoline pressure set. The adjustment was not so easy, without a suitable inch socket. :D

Was of course everything again significantly later, but buddy / tuner had in the end still time and desire to see if really the FPR was the problem with me. So we drove a lap and quickly became clear, my OEM FPR has really given up the ghost creeping and now everything was optimal again! The car now felt very good at 0.1bar less than before and we decided to leave it for now to drive so times a few.

So today off on the highway. :) I was able to record four times. 8,45s, 8,39s, 8,31s and one 8,21s. ;) That means with 0,1bar less I could reach instead of 8,37 now a 8,21s. I think with 1,75bar I should reach under 8s. The car should have had about 435hp at the moment, at the 8.2s.

Here again for comparison, although still without DBW throttle, but that had nothing to change the boost pressure characteristics:

The exhaust gas temperature has dropped by 60-70°C. The boost control now works flawlessly. I am mega satisfied

Best Regards, ludi

float_6969

Congrats! The results are, as always, great quality. 400+HP in an S13 is no small feat. I'm sure the car is quite the beast! I'd love to see some video of a few pulls.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Glad it all worked out!
And yes, we've all shared your frustration with the factory fuel pressure regulator screws before :(

ludi

float_6969 wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:24 pm
Congrats! The results are, as always, great quality. 400+HP in an S13 is no small feat. I'm sure the car is quite the beast! I'd love to see some video of a few pulls.

I hope you like it. :)

Best Regards, ludi

float_6969

Thanks for the vid! I liked and subscribed. It sounds PERFECT. Exactly how a good running CA18 should sound. Good job!

ludi

float_6969 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:10 am
Thanks for the vid! I liked and subscribed. It sounds PERFECT. Exactly how a good running CA18 should sound. Good job!
Thank you for the kind words and support! I am very pleased! Let's see how it goes now ... :)

Best Regards, ludi

ludi

According to the motto "After the season is before the season" I thought about a new intake manifold. The series intake manifold has a volume of 2.4l (30cmx9cmx9cm). Requirement for me is at the moment:

- about double volume
- good mountability
- preferably made of simple parts
- position throttle not too far from OEM position

Status now is:

Volume is about 4.2l. I am already quite satisfied with that. :) I will soon order the components for it.

Best Regards, ludi

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I'm super curious to see the gains or changes in the power from that manifold.

float_6969

Same here!

Return to “240sx General Discussion”