ludi´s ´90 S13 CA18DET

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

None of the pics work :frown:

ludi
Car: ´90 Nissan S13 CA18DET

float_6969 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:15 am
None of the pics work :frown:
No idea what happened, but my last post was also deleted. :rolleyes:

Best Regards, ludi

float_6969

And now it looks like they work. Weird. Anyway, the 3D printed inlet looks great! What glue will you use that will bond to both plastics?

ludi

I have used this glue. It is resistant up to 90°C and was very easy to process.

https://www.ministromer.de/UHU-Hart-fue ... kleber-30g

The air filter box is done and I'm happy, but I think I posted that before. :)

Best Regards, ludi

float_6969

And it seemed to actually bond to the stock air box? It must be some pretty good glue!

ludi

Both surface has to be very clean. I washed the entire air box in my bathroom. :D I think it is not really a problem to glue something on that air box.

Best Regards, ludi

ludi

The pipework is now adjusted to fit the air filter box, freshly painted and refitted.

Best Regards, ludi

float_6969

This looks so good!!!

ludi

Thank you very much! :) The front is back on and I'm almost ready for the season.... I also tried the second set of rims straight away.

Best Regards, ludi

float_6969

I do like those white wheels....

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I like the whole damn thing. Your driveway and garage makes me miss Europe.

ludi

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:40 pm
I like the whole damn thing. Your driveway and garage makes me miss Europe.
"The grass is always greener on the other side." ;) I know many people who would like to turn their backs on Germany ... You spent some time in Europe?
float_6969 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:36 pm
I do like those white wheels....
Actually, the rims are silver too, but in the photo it really looks like white. :) Thanks anyway! :)

Best Regards, ludi

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Yeah I lived in Germany for about a year. 6 months in Braunschweig and 6 months in Stuttgart (really in Gerlingen, but close enough).

ludi

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:42 pm
Yeah I lived in Germany for about a year. 6 months in Braunschweig and 6 months in Stuttgart (really in Gerlingen, but close enough).
Sounds like you work for VW and Mercedes-Benz?! :)

Short update: almost all the work for this winter has been done. The plug for the IAT mount has been printed and installed.

I also got a very high-quality cover for mounting the ignition coils. It really fits wonderfully.

Best Regards, ludi

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

ludi wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:08 pm

I was actually supposed to work for MB but they cancelled my position before I even started. Luckily Bosch picked me up. Looking back it was probably a good thing. The location of Bosch was much more my style. Local biking and hiking trails, etc. I still went in to Stuttgart fairly often though.

That's a nice 3D print for an IAT there. Any reason you're not putting it post-intercooler so it measures the air that's actually going in to the engine? IIRC, I actually welded a bung in for my miata on the cold side of the IC piping. Maybe it doesn't matter much.

ludi

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:30 pm
ludi wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:08 pm

I was actually supposed to work for MB but they cancelled my position before I even started. Luckily Bosch picked me up. Looking back it was probably a good thing. The location of Bosch was much more my style. Local biking and hiking trails, etc. I still went in to Stuttgart fairly often though.

That's a nice 3D print for an IAT there. Any reason you're not putting it post-intercooler so it measures the air that's actually going in to the engine? IIRC, I actually welded a bung in for my miata on the cold side of the IC piping. Maybe it doesn't matter much.
Yes, there are already very beautiful landscapes in the Stuttgart area. I am based in the Dresden and Berlin area. :)

For many this temperature decrease is unusual. My programmer is the intake air before the turbocharger for the boost control more important than the temperature before the throttle. This is very stable with a good charge air system (~ max 30°C above outside temp) This doesn't do much to the mixture, but this way the boost control is much better at any outside temp.

Best Regards, ludi

ludi

Almost on time for the start of the season, I drove to the car after work today to get it out of hibernation. The plan was to just check everything (oil, air pressure, wheel bolts) and then drive a few metres to see if everything works and holds. But it turned out to be a 60km trip at the end of the day. Beforehand, I connected the laptop and, surprisingly, I also had measuring instruments at hand. :chuckle: So I put the toolbox in the boot and went out onto the highway ... Unfortunately, I had a lot of problems with the measuring equipment until I realised that I should probably deactivate the Bluetooth on my smartphone because my GPS mouse kept disconnecting from my measuring phone. :rolleyes: Therefore only one really usable measurement, but in the end it was enough for now ...

Last year's measurement, which resulted in the 8.5s 100-200, was at 15°C outside temperature, about 40l fuel with the Apexi air filter.

Today it was about 7°C, the box was still completely full of fuel and I had a toolbox in the boot and it now has the OEM air filter box with printed intake snorkel with Pipercross filter mat fitted:

In 3rd gear, from 80-150, I had exactly the same time. After that I didn't shift as well as on the 8.5 run, but it was still an 8.7s.

Here the log with Apexi air filter:

And here the log with air filter box:

The time doesn't match 1:1 with the GPS measurement, because we would have to readjust the speed recording again, but it's all about the difference between the two measurements.

The intake air has also been very stable, although I don't want to form a final opinion about that yet. I think I might move the sensor again to the same place as with the Apexi air filter, so that it sits directly in the air flow again. Now it sits in a corner not surrounded by airflow, where the resonance body normally sits. :/

Anyway, I'm very happy with the first result on this. :) The car also ran really flawlessly otherwise. Let's see how it goes now. :D

A few more pictures - I think I have to try a bit harder again...

Best Regards, ludi

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I love it when shakedown runs turn into longer than expected road trips :)
Keep up the good work!

ludi

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:40 pm
I love it when shakedown runs turn into longer than expected road trips :)
Keep up the good work!
You're right about that. It was a real pleasure to be on the road with the car again.

I'll keep at it - thank you! :)

Best Regards, ludi

float_6969

I'm DYING for a long, aimless drive again. They salt the roads all winter here, so once the salt goes down, I won't drive the S14 until they we get a good rain to wash it all off. The car looks amazing. Congrats.

ludi

float_6969 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:39 am
I'm DYING for a long, aimless drive again. They salt the roads all winter here, so once the salt goes down, I won't drive the S14 until they we get a good rain to wash it all off. The car looks amazing. Congrats.
Hey, that's how we feel here too, after a long winter. This year, however, the snow has stayed away. Thanks for the kind words! :)

The next step is to optimise the intake and exhaust side, as in our opinion the setup is very much at the limit. For this, the first parts came and the first parts were machined. Furthermore, I want to build everything as invisible as possible.

Best Regards, ludi

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Those are some good looking pieces, and what a nice smooth gasket surface you have there ;)

ludi

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:45 pm
Those are some good looking pieces, and what a nice smooth gasket surface you have there ;)
Yeah, my buddy did a really great job with that. I hope it all works out and fits the way I want it to.

I continued with the small stuff ... After almost 2 years of searching, I finally found an original DIN slot for the SX ... . Unfortunately, my cover got a piece cut off by the previous owner. I still have one in relatively good condition, but it needs to be repainted. But I already like it a lot more than before. :) And finally a storage compartment again.

Afterwards, I took advantage of the excellent weather and drove around a bit.

"Läuft und säuft." - German for Runs and drinks. :chuckle:

Best Regards, ludi

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Läuft und säuft, aber immer sauber ;)

ludi

Maybe a quick update. Shortly after the start of the season, I broke down for the first time: The reason was the abandonment of the Z32 fuel pump, which has now really done its job. This was followed by the conversion to a DW300 fuel pump, which should be sufficient for all reasonable performance goals at the CA.

Unfortunately, the Sparco rims were too wide and it has grinded. I have then but relatively spontaneously found a better fitting rim set, which is also much lighter than the BBS rims: WEDS TC-05 in 8x17 ET32. :)

Then there was an update for performance: Audi S4 B5 DBW throttle body with 350Z gas pedal. :) The throttle has 70mm diameter and is thus maximum possible size for the original intake manifold.

Best Regards, ludi

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Interesting. Did you notice any differences from the throttle body swap?

Also I too run a DW300 fuel pump. It makes some funny noises sometimes but it's never left me stranded.

ludi

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:09 pm
Interesting. Did you notice any differences from the throttle body swap?
So far, I consider the conversion a real step forward and I am very happy with it. The first objective and subjective impressions:

- Pedal feel like with the OEM throttle (before that I was a bit afraid that it might feel too digital).
- Driving already almost as before - here gibts still small control difficulties, but only in certain load cases really noticeable.
- the engine wanted more fuel :)
- at AFR 11,8 an EV load of 74% with 890 EV (+WMI)
- 100-200 in 4th gear 10.2s.
- Felt the torque increased a lot in 4th gear
- Overshoot from boost seems to have become less
- Response from the turbocharger has probably not become worse

But it still needs some time to report a final opinion. But the stock throttle body was way too small, with 52mm diameter - my piping is 60mm inside. Therefore, this now fits better in theory, considering the flap to it as well.

Best Regards, ludi

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Great outcome and beautiful car! :shifter:

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Nice work. I love to see people sticking to these projects throughout the years. It's sure come a long way since you began.

ludi

PalmerWMD wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:09 pm
Great outcome and beautiful car! :shifter:
NukeKS14 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:37 am
Nice work. I love to see people sticking to these projects throughout the years. It's sure come a long way since you began.
Thank you very much for the positive feedback. :)

Since the car already had a scratch on the passenger side since purchase and my front was also not nicely painted anymore, it was time for a refresh. I had 11 years ago also not given me a lot of effort to adapt the front to the intercooler. Therefore, it was time for a new front. Actually, it should be a preface front again, but I would have had to make an opening there again on the side where my oil cooler sits. In addition, I have more ground clearance with the facelift front. I also find the facelift front more mature ... Very difficult for me. But the optics really seem to divide opinions. :)

Best Regards, ludi

Return to “240sx General Discussion”