Lucas Fuel injector cleaning

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
obstacle
Car: 2010 Altima Coupe 2.5 MT Winter Frost

Will Lucas' non-solvent fuel injector cleaning damage my 2010 altima coupe?

According to the nissan manual's fuel additive section...
"NISSAN does not recommend the use of any aftermarket fuel additives (for example, fuel injector cleaner, octane booster, intake valve deposit removers, etc.) which are sold commercially. Many of these additives intended for gum, varnish or deposit removal may contain active solvents or similar ingredients that can be harmful to the fuel system and engine."

Will it damade my A/C? I'm pretty sure it wont cause its non-solvent & the manual states SOLVENTS will damage, but just want better clarification.

Features include:
*A great tune up in a bottle
*Cleans and lubricates the fuel system
*Neutralizes low sulfur fuel problems
*Increases power and miles per gallon by burning excess exhaust emissions
*Increases the life of pumps and injectors

Apparently you add in 3 oz. after filling up your tank with every other fill-up.

I have a full 32 oz. bottle of this stuff that my friend gave me to try and says it works great for mpg, feul injector cleaning, etc.

More info here!

speedeast
Car: 1990 240sx VH45 FB & 1993 300zx

I love my Lucas. Your car will be fine. I use about 6 oz per full tank of gas.

obstacle

really?? too late anyway cause i put some in this morning ha.

thanks!

speedeast

Lucas is a good measure to take with every fill up. It's lubrication of the upper-cylinder is crucial in our engines. We used to have leaded fuels and the lead in the fuel served as a lubricant. Now it's necessary to take measures to ensure the life of the engine. My fuel mileage is great on Lucas. My car is rated 19/25, I get 23/30.

obstacle

practically most modern-day daily drivers should use this stuff. In 2 round trips to work and home (2 different occassions), I actually noticed better mileage instantly! I filled up before both 2 round trips (55 miles each) and the gas needle only moved to the first half way mark of the first gauge interval...if that makes sense.

beeristasty
Car: 07 Altima 3.5 SE

obstacle wrote:practically most modern-day daily drivers should use this stuff. In 2 round trips to work and home (2 different occassions), I actually noticed better mileage instantly! I filled up before both 2 round trips (55 miles each) and the gas needle only moved to the first half way mark of the first gauge interval...if that makes sense.
:squint:
This is anecdotal... how many gallons did you fill up with? And how many gallons did this trip take before using the FI cleaner? If you don't have that info, how much did the mileage change across a typical tank of fuel?

QR25DE
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 2.5L 6MT Turbo

Fuel injector cleaner is not going to give you better gas mileage.

speedeast

Upper cylinder lubricant will.

mrodrig2
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S CVT

speedeast wrote: My car is rated 19/25, I get 23/30.
I can do that just by changing my pedal behavior, without any fuel additives.

speedeast

Congratulations. I can get up to 32 on the highway with my pedal discipline.

mrodrig2

In other words, your fuel injector cleaner usage has no significant effect on gas mileage...

speedeast

No, that would be changing what I said.

obstacle

beeristasty wrote: :squint:
This is anecdotal... how many gallons did you fill up with? And how many gallons did this trip take before using the FI cleaner? If you don't have that info, how much did the mileage change across a typical tank of fuel?
i filled it up (20 gallons).
1 way trip home to work=approx. 28 miles.
round trip=56 miles.
my car's mpg city/highway is about 23/32 (mpg comined is 26). (http://www.fueleconomy.net/feg/noframes/29843.shtml)

so i'd say it took me approximately a little more than one gallon (give or take) one-way before the F1 cleaner.

I didnt systematically calculate anything after I put the F1 cleaner in, but since last wednesday when I made this post I still have yet to require a trip to get gas.

I've driven the same route (from home to work & work to home) on 5 different occasions (roundtrip) since last wednesday and usually need to fill up again after 5 trips (round trip).

However, after using F1, i'll most likely hit the red on my gas gauge this fri (dec 31) if not sat (jan 1) after taking another round trip drive to work on thurs.

I've personally felt like it has helped somewhat, but dont mark my words.

^^the above "analysis" is obviously limited in many respects, but this is as best as I can describe what I have seen the cleaner do for me.

Yes, i'm aware that mph have much to do with one's fuel consumption, but even if all of what I "claim" to be fuel savings is hodgepodge, it doesnt hurt using it in your car since it aids in other aspects of engine cleaning.

mrodrig2

Whatever floats your boat man, it's personal preference... although I personally think you are just rationalizing your purchase. IMO, I'd rather use the money to buy that gallon of gas rather than the fuel injector cleaner. Most modern cars last long enough with just regular maintenance that any 'extra' longevity 'gained' by aftermarket additives is insignificant relative to their overall lifetime in the first place.

QR25DE
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 2.5L 6MT Turbo

mrodrig2 wrote:Whatever floats your boat man, it's personal preference... although I personally think you are just rationalizing your purchase. IMO, I'd rather use the money to buy that gallon of gas rather than the fuel injector cleaner. Most modern cars last long enough with just regular maintenance that any 'extra' longevity 'gained' by aftermarket additives is insignificant relative to their overall lifetime in the first place.
amen.

obstacle

^^^no purchase was necessary. i got a bottle of this stuff fo' freee from a friend so I had nothing to lose.

all in all, i def would only buy this thing like maybe once every 5 years or so.

wade001
Car: 2009 Altima coupe 2.5s mt

Most modern cars dont need injector cleaner anywhere close to when they were purchased. injector cleaner works by getting carbon buildup out of the car's engine. most gas is of good quality and this wont happen for many miles. doing this often or before like 60k miles is a waste of money. but at that point you want to get an actual "injector cleaning" job. the fuel additive is just a diluted amount of that and is not good for the fuel system.

Return to “Altima General Discussions”