LSD's

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
encasemyheart

The J30 LSD is 4% taller, meaning add 4% to your current top speed. If your current top speed is 155 (I believe that is the theoretical top speed with the 240sx tranny) than your new top speed will be 161mph. Not too much. Plus if you are cruising at a certain rpm on the highway, your rpm will be 4% lower at any given speed. Say you cruise at 3000rpm @ 70mph with the stocker, with the J30 you will hit 70mph at 2880rpm. Cruising at lower rpm = better gas mileage. It adds up. Plus the taller gearing will help if you go turbo, they can take advantage of taking longer to hit redline. PLUS a LSD over open will net you a MUCH better 60', and shave a significant amount off of your 1/4 mile time. Not to mention the vast difference in handling, improved traction etc. I could go on.

Honestly I can't understand why people spend $400 on a used 180sx LSD when they can spend 1/2 that on a J30 LSD that bolts right up no problem. You don't even notice the 4% taller gears daily driving, they even help if you are turbo.

LSD = most bang for the buck

240_Keyy
Car: '90 240 Fastback

well I dunno about that one man, all I know is that the LS Auto one bolts right up and works just fine. I dunno if you have to do anything else to the 300Z one to make it work. Keep in mind that shipping to houston on the LS Auto diff is right at $100, the shafts weigh about 22lbs each and the diff weighs about 80lbs, so that is some HEAVY stuff and it is expensive to ship.

matrxgotme.net
Car: road racing

So give me the be all end all of what lsd I should put in my track 240 sr20det because I do not want a weak lsd and I still want to turn it at low speeds.

Kaaz 1.5Phantom grip?????

The car does good without it but it needs much throttle control to keep traction at the optimum.

Thanks

240_Keyy
Car: '90 240 Fastback

phantom grip = poop

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

matrxgotme.net wrote:So give me the be all end all of what lsd I should put in my track 240 sr20det because I do not want a weak lsd and I still want to turn it at low speeds.

Kaaz 1.5Phantom grip?????

The car does good without it but it needs much throttle control to keep traction at the optimum.

Thanks

No such thing. Each kind has compromises. Which one best suits your needs and budget is up to you. I recently posted a brief explanation of pros and cons of each here:

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....17012

Also ready the FAQ. It has a link to the howstuffworks site that gives a little more detail. After you read that, if you have more specific questions, feel free to ask.

C-Kwik

burgy240 wrote:SO which would have the higher top speed for an SR s14.....the stock/silvia/or j30 lsd? Not worried about 1/4 mile either. thanks

This depends more on how much torque you have when you hit the drag limited top speed with each. Encasemyheart meantioned a 4% increase in available gearing, but that also translates to a 4% loss of torque at the wheels. So it is possible, that the drag-limited top speed may actually get worse with a taller diff. If you're worried about top speed, I would make sure you can actually hit redline in 5th gear before you look to a taller ratio.

matrxgotme.net

C Kwik,

A kaaz 1.5 wayA Kaaz 2 wayPhantom grip conversion

What do you think would be(forget $$$) a good product for circuit racing and lots of turns? I half to get the power down out of several tight turns where the reaer is breaking loose. What is the diff between 1.5 and 2 way lsd's

Thanks

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

"circuit racing and lots of turns" THe KAAZ 1.5 would be better if your a "green" driver, whereas a two way can provide some good benifits if your more experienced.

I would reccomend looking into a CUSCO rear end, simply because they offer many, many configuration choices....also, if your cicrut racing, "easy to turn" doesnt become an issue much with a race car.-chet

matrxgotme.net

I would not call myself a professional but I have experience on my home track. I guess I have heard alot of opinions. My car is trailored to the track and has no street life. Would I be better to say use the Phantom grip and move myself up from there as I feel more comfortable.Thanks for the help

Exar-Kun

No, you'd be better to find a LSD from another 240sx, and install that. Its fairly cheap(300-500 dollars), and will grant you a lot of smooth driving so you can get a better feel for a true LSD(more so than a PG).

I'm going to be using a VLSD form a 180sx until i can figure out which LSD setup I will get the best use out of for my road racing excursions. until then, the VLSD will retain a lot of daily driveability and ease of turning, but will kick in when I need it to (exiting a turn)-chet

C-Kwik

matrxgotme.net wrote:C Kwik,

A kaaz 1.5 wayA Kaaz 2 wayPhantom grip conversion

What do you think would be(forget $$$) a good product for circuit racing and lots of turns? I half to get the power down out of several tight turns where the reaer is breaking loose. What is the diff between 1.5 and 2 way lsd's

Thanks

#1, if you're breaking loose powering out of turns, you should focus on honing your driving skills first. Drive within your car's limits. If you don't do this, no amount of aftermarket parts will help since you are going to just exceed the limits of the parts you add on anyways. An LSD will help you to exit sooner, but is not a fix for poor driving.

#2, I'm skeptical of the Phantom Grip. Some say it works. I can see some of it's merits, but I'd limit using it for drag racing only. I think it might be too inconsistent for use on a road course. I'd opt for a Nissan VLSD rather than the phantom grip.

#3, If money is not an issue, any reason you aren't considering a Helical gear set-up? They work quite well.

I'd say a clutch type or helical will probably tackle the job well.

matrxgotme.net

So a vsld can hold up just fine you think???Some say viscous will not hold up to racing abuse.

C Kwik

Maybe I worded it wrong or something but when I am out there I push the limits and know I am looking to extend those limits.

C-Kwik

Who said that? If they are referring to durability, the viscous unit should be fine there. If they are referring to power-handling, then there may be issues with high HP applications. The Viscous unit is not a bad investment. Since it will likely already be a used unit, chances are if you decide to go with something else, you might get back what you paid for it.

matrxgotme.net

thanks

encasemyheart

Do you know about a 97 J30 VLSD? I got one today to install, most people say to install the 94-96 LSD, the shop said the 97 had a much stronger ring gear or something (I don't know differentials too well) but he said they could take alot more abuse because they were built stronger than 94-96. How true is this? And how much more can it take? I plan on no more than 380rwhp...

Exar-Kun

I have NEVER seen an r200 break, I;ve seen the axles break...but not the diffy..they may wear oput, but they dont "break", and ask the mechanic if its an R200 differential..if not, it wont work.

short story: the differentials recoomended by myself and C-kwik will be more than adequate for you unless your drag racing in excess of 500rwhp.

-chet

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”