LSD is clouding my mind!

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
atiffarooqi
Car: 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V

Hey i have a Limited Slip differential question that is making me confused. (Get it? LSD clouding my mind!) Anyway, I read howstuffworks and its so confusing. From what i understand, a normal diff makes the inner wheel turn slower on a turn, makes perfect sense. And a LSD prevents that unless the force of the road overpowers the wheel otherwise both wheels are forced to spin together. But this seems like it would be worse. Please clairfy somebody!!! And since we're on the topic, a locking differential just makes both or all wheels spin together no matter what right?

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

An LSD simply limits the difference in rotational speed of the wheels, so yes, a locking diff would completely stop it.

It's better because it prevents power from escaping the inside tire as easily. It really only matters with power on in turning or when accelerating on a surface that has different friction on one wheel (say it's wet) than the other (say it's dry).

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”