Lowering?

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
ltrrtl218
Car: 2005 infinit g35

I am putting 20 inch rims on my car soon and i was thinkin about lowering it too using eibach springs. I was wondering if anyone knew some pros and cons about lowering it and if it is a good or bad idea to do it?

Rex
Car: None

Welcome to NICO, you've found a great resource for all things Nissan/Infiniti as well as a bunch of good car people .

Here's the one thread I recall discussing lowering of a G35.

zerothread?id=56712

20's seem a bit ... uh big, are you going for looks or performance?

ltrrtl218

well i was giong for a bit of both i was planning on getting 19's but this guy that was selling the wheels said that 20's are a better and he had done a lot of custom work so i assumed he knew what he was talking about. im trying to customize my car i just dont happen to know a whole lot about the tuner part of it and im trying to get informed before i buy this stuff.

Rex

That said, one thing you should be aware of is that heavy (but pretty) wheels are performance defeating. Rotating mass is a key factor in making changes. I would recommend looking for high quality forged wheels, like the 19" Rays available on the G35 coupe. Quality, lightweight >18" wheels can and will cost >$350 each, but you can get used OEM Nissan/Infiniti forged Rays for a fraction of that, just chek out ebay. For giggles ask the guy how much the wheels (alone) he's recommending weigh? Anything over 20lbs I'd walk away from. If they're close to 30lbs, I'd run.

ltrrtl218

the wheels i was looking at were Jaz Triumph wheels i think they are like around 400 a piece. i dunno if thats alot or not enough to get good wheels? i was also looking at axis penta wheels. thanks alot for this info.

Rex

A quick look says those may be lightweight and good quality, but I have no real knowledge of Jaz.

Here's what I was referring to above

They're *only* 19's, but compare the price, known fit and the inclusion of quality tires .

Here's a set in chrome, if you like that.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

I wouldn't expect better performance with 20" wheels. In fact, there is little technical reason to go to even 19" wheels from a performance standpoint. Realistically, the only real reason to go to a larger diameter wheel is to fit larger brakes. A smaller diameter wheel coupled to a taller sidewall tire is typically lighter. Especially in terms of rotational mass as there will be less of the mass of the entier tire/wheel assembly on the outer edge where it has the most rotational inertia.

However, for a street driven car, if you keep things reasonable, you're not going to notice an obscene difference. But lower profile sidewalls will transmit more of the road into the car. And a heavier overall wheel/tire assembly will feel a bit harsher as there will be more momentum for the springs and shock to control

From a looks standpoint, I don't really care for 20's. 19's look plenty big on a G and 20" tires are more expensive to replace. I would suggest though, that you look at plenty of photos of wheels of similar size and style to get a better idea of what it will look like. I've seen some Altima's with 20's and most look pretty disgusting IMO. Almost like the bling factor was the decising factor and the looks were an afterthought.

Rex

C-Kwik wrote:I wouldn't expect better performance with 20" wheels. In fact, there is little technical reason to go to even 19" wheels from a performance standpoint. Realistically, the only real reason to go to a larger diameter wheel is to fit larger brakes. A smaller diameter wheel coupled to a taller sidewall tire is typically lighter. Especially in terms of rotational mass as there will be less of the mass of the entier tire/wheel assembly on the outer edge where it has the most rotational inertia.

However, for a street driven car, if you keep things reasonable, you're not going to notice an obscene difference. But lower profile sidewalls will transmit more of the road into the car. And a heavier overall wheel/tire assembly will feel a bit harsher as there will be more momentum for the springs and shock to control

From a looks standpoint, I don't really care for 20's. 19's look plenty big on a G and 20" tires are more expensive to replace. I would suggest though, that you look at plenty of photos of wheels of similar size and style to get a better idea of what it will look like. I've seen some Altima's with 20's and most look pretty disgusting IMO. Almost like the bling factor was the decising factor and the looks were an afterthought.
That's the point I was trying to make, 20's for the sake of 20's is fine, if that's what you want. But if you're after performance, than 20's aren't the way to go.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Although, there are some pretty light 20's out there, if you';re willing to pony up the coin.

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

First off, welcome to NICO.

Secondly, personally I wouldn't go any bigger than 19. While there are some fairly lightweight 20's, the cost is a bit too extreme for me. Heck, 19's are pretty damn expensive too. Performance wise there isn't anything really to gain by going to 20.

However, with all of that said, get what you like.

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”