Lowering springs and what?

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Zero to 300
Car: 90 300zx N/A to TT

So i'm looking to lower my z32 and just looking to go with some tien s-tech lowering springs, but i really only want to do that and not everything else. I'm just trying to figure out if i NEED anything to go with those springs to say not ruin my tires or anything like that? i know to get an alignment afterwards but do i need any other parts?

I mean i'm not honestly going for all out better handling and performance more going for look and style at the moment, i know buying complete suspension sets and adjustable everything is best.

Also are those springs a good bang for the buck? i don't know a lot about suspension but have heard good things about tien springs and that it would be a good buy.

Thanks

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

Going with Tien is a great move. Replacing your springs without replacing your shocks is not. For the best performance, and limited wear and tear on your car, you should do both.

es.biggs
Car: 1990 300ZX 5sp NA

If you want to keep your factory camber specs, you will need to buy some extra parts. If you don't mind some extra camber wear on the inside, then just go with the 300degree kit. It will help a LITTLE, and it's cheap. But you will eat through tires faster, and you won't be able to get your alignment right, to Nissan factory specs.

Zero to 300

Ah alright cool, yeah not really looking to spend a whole lot just to get a new look and lowering it.

Might spring for some better than stock shocks. And if i do that will i need new control arms and tension rods, toe rods, traction rods, etc....?

DankZX
Car: 1991 N/A 300ZX: Few Mods
1996 Sentra GXE

the big ones would be front and rear upper adjustable camber arms, and adjustable tension rods as the stock boots usually leak anyways, and that should be it. Best place to get them would be powertrix.com or splparts.com

gnozahs

Zero to 300 wrote:Ah alright cool, yeah not really looking to spend a whole lot just to get a new look and lowering it.

Might spring for some better than stock shocks. And if i do that will i need new control arms and tension rods, toe rods, traction rods, etc....?
If you get new aftermarket shocks, you will not need to get new Front upper control arms, tension rods, or Rear upper control arms. You can just get the springs and shocks but you will get some camber from the drop and this will lead to camber wear on your tires.

Zero to 300

Ah so getting shocks would mean i buy like the springs and the 300 degree front camber kit and rear adjustable upper camber arms or rear adjustable upper control arms? also i know my right rear camber arm is bent a little so the new rear camber arms would be what i would do.

BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

Rear upper arms. These are the best: http://splparts.com/store/product-info.php?pid6.html

And the Powertrix are a close second. I actually use the Powertrix now, and they're great. Eventually I'll upgrade to SPL stuff in the rear when I have more expendable income.

http://www.powertrix.com/agoracart55/ag ... Suspension

Ba11erz
Car: 90' 300ZXtt
Stage IX
502RWHP 93 pump (May 2011 Tune by SZ)
VH45DE Swap in progress

Zero to 300 wrote:Ah alright cool, yeah not really looking to spend a whole lot just to get a new look and lowering it.

The short answer is yes. Once you go down the path of changing the geometric setup of stock suspension (including wheel/rim size) you'll need to purchase other performance suspension parts to keep your Z planted. Just lowering your ride will most certainly throw off camber and put stress on your front setup. It will look good closer to the ground however; the weaker bushing and tie-rods (front and rear) will be pushed to their limits. The good news is that most aftermarket parts are much cheaper, mass produced, and offer better strength and stability relative to handling. So essentially you can lower your ride and use aftermarket parts to compensate for the new ride height. The 300Degree camber kit mentioned earlier can return your camber back to stock configuration from a .8" drop or slightly lower (up to 1.5").

How low were you thinking of going?

With lowering springs and a 300Degree camber kit should suffice but your ride and handling may be unpredictable. Consider upgrading the struts, tension rods in front, and camber arms (f & r) if you want a more aggressive feel.

I upgraded my suspension to the Eibach/KYB Pro Suspension kit and I have to say I was more than satisfied. The handling was immediately noticed and driving around curvy roads improved overall with a more planted feel and less chassis roll. I made other changes like sway bars (f & r) but that was not as noticeable after I completely upgraded the stock struts and lowered it .8".

With suspension you have to pay close attention to components that meet [your] particular driving style. You can blow your wad on over-the-top high end TIEN components (the best of the best IMHO) or find the right components to fit your desires and I'm sensing just dropping it for show. Just keep in mind you lose some drivability should you decide to drop only without compensating for the other significant components: camber, tension, and strut adjustability…in addition to tire wear.
Update this thread and let us know how you decided. Good luck!

Zero to 300

I am currently just wanting to drop it a little and get some increased handling performance out of it. I guess what i'm trying to figure out is if i buy lowering springs, should i end up getting f & r camber kits and new struts, thinking about KYB struts either gr-2, or AGX, and the 300degree camber kit? i mean i'm not really wanting to spend a whole lot but at the same time i want to do it right and not mess anything up or keep having issues because i didn't do it right.

Would it be suggested that i buy some bushing kits and stuff like that, or would that be something in like a new arm or set up kit, like control arms come with bushing kits and wouldn't suggest replacing the bushings without replacing the entire arm?

I can tell my suspension is becoming worn out as well, which is why i'm focusing on what i can do, my 300 is by no means a daily and plan to do some(like one or two) autocross and PDX events this year, so i'm kinda half and half on comfort and performance, the car handles fantastic as is, curvy roads are a breeze even at high speeds.

My current set up is a 2+0, bone stock except for the na body and i dropped a tt engine and tranny in it, but stock wheels, suspension, brakes yada yada. Eventually all will receive an upgrade but one at a time. My main concern is getting something that is capable of handling all my upgrades which means i'm not rebuying parts to compensate for new stuff.

Dom Sacco
Car: '91 Z32 NA Slicktop 2+0

I'm at stock ride height right now as well and I plan on dropping about an inch along with getting rear upper control arms to even the camber back out. Do you recommend aftermarket shocks as well with just an inch drop?

es.biggs
Car: 1990 300ZX 5sp NA

Lowering springs are stiffer than stock springs, and they need stiffer dampening to counter them - aftermarket struts are ALWAYS recommended with stiffer springs. Not just any aftermarket struts either - plenty of aftermarket companies make oem replacements as well as performance struts.

Daspyda

I upgraded my suspension to the Eibach/KYB Pro Suspension kit and I have to say I was more than satisfied. The handling was immediately noticed and driving around curvy roads improved overall with a more planted feel and less chassis roll. I made other changes like sway bars (f & r) but that was not as noticeable after I completely upgraded the stock struts and lowered it .8".

With suspension you have to pay close attention to components that meet [your] particular driving style. You can blow your wad on over-the-top high end TIEN components (the best of the best IMHO) or find the right components to fit your desires and I'm sensing just dropping it for show. Just keep in mind you lose some drivability should you decide to drop only without compensating for the other significant components: camber, tension, and strut adjustability…in addition to tire wear.
Update this thread and let us know how you decided. Good luck!
I've used Eibach on an MR2 Spyder with stock struts with success as the drop is modest. Have you changed any components?

Daspyda

I found some H&R springs which lower f&r by .08".

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”