lowering car

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
solid

Hey, i want to lower my car and i was just wondering if i lower it will the rear wheels be effected by it like how the fronts are?

maxpower
Car: WRX

why lower it when you can go up?

http://e30m3performance.com/my...l.htm

also, check this out.. http://groups.google.com/group...%3Dwg

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

solid wrote:Hey, i want to lower my car and i was just wondering if i lower it will the rear wheels be effected by it like how the fronts are?

what :confused:

bp2ooo

solid wrote:Hey, i want to lower my car and i was just wondering if i lower it will the rear wheels be effected by it like how the fronts are?

wow ive tried reading this a couple times, and still dont get it. Why would you go through all the hassle of bringing it up when you can get springs for 200 bucks.

solid

sorry, what i mean is when you lower your car i know that iner part of your front tires get bald faster then the outside, and ive seen pictures lowered cars where both front and rear at slanted out wards making the iner tires bald. So i was just wondering if i lower my car more then it is now 1.5" is it going to do anything to my back tires?

kickertu

its called camber newb... when you lower your car your front camber gets a little off... all you need is a camber kit..

solid

i know its called camber, and i know they have camber kits but since im not going to lower my so low i dont want to have to spend more money. And im not a newb i have the papers of automotive training to show it. Im pretty sure almost everyone knows what camber is, you probably dont even know what caster is, dont go look up the word now and come back and say you know what it is. (people are so mean these days):)

kickertu

yes i know what caster is... and even if you lower your car an inch, you will through off the camber... it just wont be enough to see... my old car was lowered an 1.5" and i couldnt see any difference in the camber, but i took it to my buddie at les schwab, and he said that it was off like half a degree... so i did a camber kit anyway.. if you are going to lower it, i would get a camber kit too... tires are way to expensive to have rub wrong

PiNoYcLaSs

Lets not go around calling people names. People come to the boards for help. We should give help. Sounds easy right? oh yea... throw not through solid. =P

daniel240
Car: cars/motocross

i lowered mine 2in front and back and the camber was off quit a bit, but it should be adjustable. i took it to a tire place and they maxed out my adjusters and got it back almost to stock, so i have very little wear on the inside.

solid

thanks for the help. The only problem with the camber kit is that i dont have that much money to pay someone to install it, i heard it takes a while and so i dont really have much of a way but to bring it to the shop like daniel did. Again i thanks for the help.

solid

Ok one more question. I want to drop my car 2 inches just like daniel did, if i was looking at the camber kits and im not sure which one to get seeing how they come to only a certian degree, can you guys help me out and tell me how many degrees i actually need?

dreamsOfSkylines

Camber kit seems vague. Adjustable control arms are the best way to go, and the most expensive. Then they have eccentric bushings (pretty cheap). They also have camber plates, but I know jack about these. Anyone want to add on?

Tai Mai Shu

Shouldn't need more than 2 degrees for else your suspension is *****ed. And dont forget a little negitive camber is good, in turns and such.

solid

So do you think 1 degree is good enough? Because some guy said he can sell me a kit for 60 bucks but it only goes up to 1.

Tai Mai Shu

If its the front wheels there is a bolt you can adjust your camber yourself for free, if for the back I would recomend ball piller mounts. but im one for teh drifts

solid

how do i do it for the fronts?

Daves240
Car: Solo2, Solo Trials, Ice hockey

For the fronts, I'd recommend camber plates- they replace the factory upper mounts, they are slotted to allow camber adjustment(some allow caster also). They also give you an extra ~.5" of suspension travel because it gets rid of the thick factory bearing. The other options for the front is a camber bolt, its basically a cam that replaces the top bolt on your strut and allows for the top of the spindle to be moved in realtion to the strut. Last is the option of an adjustable lower control arm, but they are costly ($600ish for Cusco), I have heard that a S14 arm is longer, I am going to explore that option for widening the track and gaining camber.

For the rears, there is a stock factory adjustment. There are eccentric bushings you can get (Whiteline) and also an adjustable rear upper arm (Cusco, Battle Version). Another good idea is to get some pillow ball mounts for the rear, that would allow you to gain some suspension travel.

Goodluck,

David J.'89 240sx

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”