Lower Ball Joints Removal 1995 Nissan D-21 Extended Cab Pkup

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Dadrummer77
Car: 1995 Nissan Pickup Extended Cab D-21/Frontier 4 Wheel Drive, Automatic. V6 3.0 Vg30E.

:mad: Hey just bought 1995 Nissan Extended Cab Hardbody D-21 model. 4wheel drive automatic. Just found out when i took the truck for a oil change that the front end needed work on it, so i had the guys at the shop do my oil change and tell me what was going on with my front end why is it so sloppy?? I knew it had front end problems when i bought it but didnt think it was severe. Anyway bought new lower ball joints for it. Started working on truck today on drivers side. Got balljoint all unbolted and now cant get it out because cv joint drive axle is in the way from pulling out. Anyone know what i need to do to get old lower balljoint out without remving drive axle from hub to free up some room to pull balljoint out of control arm. Please Help!!! There is got 2 be a way to get this bvall joint out without pulling the axle away from the hub.

MaximA32

The only way to remove it is to get the axle out of the way. If it were 2wd, you would not have this issue since the 4wd hubs would not be in the way.

Dadrummer77
Car: 1995 Nissan Pickup Extended Cab D-21/Frontier 4 Wheel Drive, Automatic. V6 3.0 Vg30E.

MaximA32 wrote:The only way to remove it is to get the axle out of the way. If it were 2wd, you would not have this issue since the 4wd hubs would not be in the way.
Ok so is it really complicated to pull axle out of hub & swing axle out of the way to get the new lower balljoint in. What needs to be taken off to pull axle away from hub, the small parts that whole axle in are a looks to be a horseshoe clip and other parts in the hub,,

MaximA32

You can find the procedure here: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/hardbody/1994/FA.pdf

Just follow the procedure and you should be just fine.

Dadrummer77

Thanks everybody that responded, the truck is finally done today at 5:00pm from 8:00 am this!! We figured it out!! Pulled drive axle away from hub partially just enough to get ball joint into position!! Was a pain in the balls but once we figured out the first side we new what to do on other side!! Also replaced inner & outer tie rod ends & center sleeve with all moog & Trw parts!! Also replace drag link & center sway bar bushings that was literally gone!! Got the tie rod ends as close as we can get them!! Took measurements & transfer to new tie rod ends!! Truck still needs to go for a alignment now being everything got knocked out of whack!! Only thing I didn't get to complete was my new rotors & brake pads!! Ran out of time!! Another time for that, got the parts though already waiting 2 go!! Truck is all back together!! Did all this with jacks no lift here!! My driveway was my lift!! Thanks everyone though that responded 2 my post!! Love ya guys!!! Peace out!!

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”