Low Volume on Stereo both on replaced and new stereo?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
mppp78
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Hello all, So I have a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder where I had to crank the volume all the way up on 2nd Bose stereo this car has had in it's life so I decided to buy a new stereo (Boss) from crutch field and bought all the bypass connector parts because of the wacky amplifier system, but new system is really quiet as well? I'm not a stereo expert, but I thought either an amp and or speakers work or they don't what could be causing the low volume as the old Bose system obviously wasn't the problem so now have new stereo with same overall issue?

Thanks in advance!

R50JR
Car: 03 pathfinder le

mppp78 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:43 pm
Hello all, So I have a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder where I had to crank the volume all the way up on 2nd Bose stereo this car has had in it's life so I decided to buy a new stereo (Boss) from crutch field and bought all the bypass connector parts because of the wacky amplifier system, but new system is really quiet as well? I'm not a stereo expert, but I thought either an amp and or speakers work or they don't what could be causing the low volume as the old Bose system obviously wasn't the problem so now have new stereo with same overall issue?

Thanks in advance!
Please list the parts that you are using.

mppp78

-Boss BE7ACP-SD (stereo)
-Metra 40-NI10 Antenna Adapter (I did not hook this up or take out of packaging yet as I was just testing with my Bluetooth Apple play connection)

The following below I had crutch field harness together for me for the $25 fee.

-PAC ROEM-NIS2 Wiring Interface (I did adjust the 4 dials for all 4 speakers (2 front/2 back) to get sound but to reiterate it's just as low as when I had my Bose installed.
-Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter

Thanks in advance.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

The PAC ROEM-NIS2 Wiring Interface, the same one I installed in my '02, retains the function of the factory Bose amplifier and allows the factory speakers to be used. It is not a bypass. It is a system integration adapter. Without it, the factory 2 ohm speakers would draw too much power from your new head unit and wreck it. The Boss BE7ACP-SD, like most every other newer audio system, functions with 4 to 8 ohm speakers and cannot have 1 to 2 ohm speakers connected directly to the head unit .

From what you said about this new Boss system acting just like the last 2 old Bose head units, my best guess is that your Bose amplifier is toast. Wish I could tell you how to bench test it to be sure but all I got is my best guess on this one.

The Bose amplifier can be bypassed but you will have to replace the 4 speakers in the doors and the 2 tweeters in the front pillars. The Boss unit you have has a built-in internal amp (20 watts RMS/85 peak x 4 channels). Nothing stellar but it would be an massive improvement over what you have going on. To do this, the PAC wiring interface would have to be removed. The bypass can be done different ways. This link takes you to one way I have seen that does not involve extensive work but it is no walk in the park either. https://themochinist.tumblr.com/post/12 ... a**-if-you

If you can find a functioning Bose amplifier to replace your old one, that would be the easiest thing to do. They are all over e-bay for about $50. https://www.ebay.com/itm/294239484682

mppp78

Thank you for correcting what I thought I understood what "bypass" meant (I obviously didn't). Would you guess just the main amp in the trunk is toast or possibly ones in front doors connected to front speakers as well. Obviously I won't hold anyone to guessing, but what are your thoughts?

mdmellott

mppp78 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:40 pm
... what are your thoughts?
Yikes! I forgot about those. Never had to replace the door speakers or that pre-amp in the trunk area, so I just don't know.

mppp78

No problem, you've given me plenty of direction to work on and I'll start with one of those amps off eBay (just purchased one) and go from there. For anyone reading thread and unsure how to get to rear amp this link is a nice walkthrough - https://www.carstereoremoval.com/htm/st ... 01_03P.htm

Thanks again!

mdmellott

mppp78 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:31 pm
-Metra 40-NI10 Antenna Adapter (I did not hook this up or take out of packaging yet as I was just testing with my Bluetooth Apple play connection)
When you do get around to connecting your antenna adapter you will find only the male antenna plug can be used. The female plug is useless since there is no diversity antenna function in your Boss head unit. The male lead goes to your fender antenna and the female lead goes to your windshield antenna. Since there is no continuity between these two leads and there is no way to make use of the female connector because there is no provision for it in your Boss head unit, or any other aftermarket non-diversity antenna head units, you will lose the use of your windshield antenna. Metra used to have a model 40-NI11 adapter with no female Motorola connector but I don't see it available any more. I had the same 40-NI10 but eventually swapped it out for the 40-NI11 years ago. At that time, I brought back to life my windshield antenna, which has good reception, and crippled the fender antenna reception with a better looking solid aluminum stubby fender antenna. (I did not like the looks of the standard fender mast antenna) Adding a jumper wire into the adapter receptacle will connect both the fender and windshield antennas to your new head unit. The mast antenna has better reception than the windshield but I thought I would share what I did to rid myself of that old-school fender whip. (I tried to attach pictures of this but something has gone wrong with this site and it will not take the pics without some sort of error. Maybe it will sort itself out later and I will try again.)

mppp78

Just received my Bose ebay amp and that was it, well done! With that being said you seemed to have read my mind on the antenna being the next (hopefully final issue). So I believe I found the antenna you used Metra 40-NI11 Antenna unless the one end is a female connection and not exactly the one you bought as it shows it's not compatible for 2004 Nissan Pathfinder, but I'd wager you're correct and it will work (see link below). Thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115440170687?v ... dbfb20da75

Thanks again, Mark

mdmellott

Both the 40-NI10 and 40-NI11 will work for you just the same, plugging the male Motorola connector into your Boss. The 40-NI10 will have a female Motorola connector that serves you no purpose. You can cut that wire off or just leave it be. Metra has a better write up on it in their product description. They are both compatible with Nissans from 1987 to 2006.
http://www.metraonline.com/part/40-NI11
http://www.metraonline.com/part/40-NI10
There are two pins in the Nissan connector these adapters plug onto. One pin goes to the fender antenna and the male Motorola connector that plugs into your Boss. The other pin goes to the windshield antenna and the female Motorola connector on the 40-NI10, which cannot be used on any aftermarket head unit I have ever seen. The 40-NI11 has only the one male connector, which hooks up your fender antenna. The other pin for the windshield goes nowhere. However, I put a stripped 18ga stranded wire into the adapter socket for the Nissan connector to jumper the fender and windshield antennas together. I have a picture of this I would like to share but this NICOCLUB site is still giving me an error for some reason when I download the pic. Essentially, all I did was take that bare wire, about 1" long, bent it into a U-shape and plugged it into the two adapter socket holes, using a needle nose pliers. when you plug in the Nissan connector, the two pins will be connected together. I only did this because I got rid of my stock fender antenna and replaced it with a 4" long, stubby aluminum antenna that gets terrible reception but looks good. With the windshield antenna jumped to the fender antenna lead, my radio reception is just fine.

I'm glad to hear the replacement amplifier worked out well for you.

mppp78

Awesome thanks again for help!

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”