low tire pressure with temp. change

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
rogue_mn
Car: Nissan Rogue

I am wondering if anyone else is having a problem with the low tire pressure warning light & low tire pressure in general with temperature changes. I live in MN and have had my Rogue S AWD since October. I started having this problem last month. 4 times the light has come on and at least one tire has been low. Seems odd that the tire pressure would be so sensitive on a new vehicle.

exeunt
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD Phantom Pearl

I've got my Rogue in Canada, where we've been seeing fluctuations between 13C and -20C. No issues with tire pressure here.

REDDOG

As a rule of thumb a tire will lose about 1 psi for every 10F of temperature drop. Obviously the reverse should also be true or you could have a slow tire leak.

blaruffa

I haven't seen this in my Rogue, but I have in my Nissan Quest with TPMS. I switched to Nitrogen this winter and the issue has gone away, due to the fact that nitrogen is less effected by the temp changes.

Iridiman
Car: 2008 Rogue Iridium Graphite loaded, 1996 BMW Z3 and 2001 M Roadster

Sorry nitrogen and dry air (78% nitrogen) change volume the same as temperature varies. Hard to document a benefit for nitrogen except for aircraft tires. See this link:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/070216.html

BrianV
Car: 07 G35S 6MT, 02 MDX-T AWD

Here in Austin, TX where we go from 100F in the Summer to the 30s-40s in the winter, generally once per year, when the cold front comes in, my TPMS goes off. It just happens since I can basically lose 5 PSI overnight when we have a 40-50 degree temp swing overnight.

Just put more air in it and it should hold for the entire winter. If you're constantly filling it up with air in the winter, then I'd start looking for leaks (good sign of that is if it is only happening on 1 tire).

libertylady

This is so weird...I have had my Rogue since Nov. 2007and today Feb. 11, 2008 I noticed my tire pressure light go on. I checked my tires and they were all low. I only have 1000 miles on my car. What's with that. Has anyone found a problem with their tire?Susan

calmssea
Car: ROGUE

I also see my tire light come up quite frequently and in fact the tire loses pressure. I am in LA and the temp diff do exist, but never seen anything like this before..

Took it to the dealer and checked if there was anything with the wheels but nothing came up (or they eye checked only).

ASAF I can see, not much damage is visible, and unfortunately I can't tell much from that.

So my solution...get it to a gas station, fill the air a bit higher than on manual, drive for a few weeks, and fill again..until there is a definite leak detected..

I have 3K on ODO, and driving since last Nov.

Return to “Rogue Forum”