Low MPG and loose wiring

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
docswitzer
Car: 2014 Versa Note SL
2014 Altima 2.5l SV

Is anyone experiencing low fuel mileage on their Note? Best I can get on my 2014 Note SL is 33 mpg with 80-90% highway. Further mystery is a loose (12-pin) connector hanging in the active grille shutter area. Dealer insist no problems. Not sure how to supply picture here to illustrate what the connector looks like.

Maybe this will work?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/11616503659 ... 5184972051

ezb57e

Wow, I think your service people are really out to lunch. If nothing else the connector would physically stop the shutters from closing. Connectors should taped back, or connected.
They should do an easy check for DTCs too.
Anytime the dealer checks for DTC's, I would ask for a copy.
Some of the early cars had DTC's from this shutter system. There was a TSB that talked about checking the operation of the shutter system and correcting faults.

docswitzer
2014 Altima 2.5l SV

Conveniently they denied that there were any problems but yet still disassembled the front of my car and ran diagnostics. You guessed it, no stored codes. They said it was simply that the tape had let go, and this connector was designed for a temperature sensor on the 2015 model. WHAT? They said that they wire-tied everything back in place. They gave me a copy of the shutter operation report. Still not feeling the warm and fuzzy with Gettel Nissan here in Sarasota. 2nd time I have tried to report an issue to them and they met me with a challenging and condescending attitude. Is this typical of all Nissan service centers? I will watch my future MPG now that they have denied fixing an apparent non-existent problem. LOL
Thanks for the reply!

Just as an aside: two of my friends also have 2014 Versa Notes with the CVT and are getting 34-35 in the city.

ezb57e

That's entirely possible, and hopefully they taped the connector back where it should be. Some cars have problems with the shutters binding, but then there are DTC/MILs also.
I'm slightly impressed that they took off the fascia without any DTCs.
In the absence of that, there is probably nothing wrong with you car.
You may be experiencing "reality" as far as fuel mileage. You have to admit that 33 mpg is not too shabby.
Keep your tires pumped up, watch the top speeds.
ezb

docswitzer
2014 Altima 2.5l SV

Believe me, it's the arrogance and attitude of the dealership more than the mileage issue. I don't think they would have disassembled the front like that if they were that sure nothing was wrong. Aside from the dealership, I still love the way the car drives and handles and the visibility is great.

Thanks again ezb!

ezb57e

Yeah, there are all kinds in this world, and car folks are among them.
Hope it all works out.
Keep the oil changed in that Note!

docswitzer
2014 Altima 2.5l SV

Will update MPG results after the next couple of tanks full. First oil change due in less than 900 miles, at an alternate dealership from purchase of course.

trdmrk86
Car: Nissan Versa

Dealer attitudes and complaints are so common. Being my first new car in my mid 30's, I have never valued a warranty from dealers, as they always seem to make excuses to get out of repairs. It's not just you.

Anyhow, Your MPG sounds pretty good and on par with mine. My mileage went up slightly after the first oil change. I imagine as the engine breaks it will get better and better. The clean oil will help to. Keep in mind you will never see the advertised MPG's in any car. Those factory highway numbers are obtained at 55 mph in a test facility with perfect conditions. Thats not real life at all. I do up to 50-55 in parts of the city, and 75 on the highway. I have noticed the wind direction, and things like "drafting" other cars makes a noticeable difference as well.

docswitzer
2014 Altima 2.5l SV

I've been experimenting with staying around 68-74 mph and have the mileage up to 35mpg. Coming up on 8k miles. One thing that puzzles me is my dealer gives 2-free oil changes, but they use conventional 5w-30. Has anyone noticed a difference with synthetic or synthetic blends?

lne937s
Car: 2012 Nissan Juke SL AWD

docswitzer wrote:I've been experimenting with staying around 68-74 mph and have the mileage up to 35mpg. Coming up on 8k miles. One thing that puzzles me is my dealer gives 2-free oil changes, but they use conventional 5w-30. Has anyone noticed a difference with synthetic or synthetic blends?
The greatest importance of synthetic oil is that it increases the chemical stability and reduces volatility of the hydrocarbons in your oil (most often by adding a double bond at one end). As lighter/thinner hydrocarbons tend to be more volatile, synthetics allow you to use a thinner grade of oil. Just like running through air versus running through water, a lower viscosity oil will improve fuel efficiency. And it means that your oil will not thicken as much over time from lighter hydrocarbons burning off.

If you switch from a GF-5 rated conventional oil to a full synthetic of the same grade, the difference will be negligible when new and a fraction of a percent improvement at the end of the oil's life. The fuel saved by this tends to be less than the cost differential, but it is a measurable improvement in fuel economy(unlike HHO, CAI, fuel line magnets, vortex generators, etc.).

Switching to 0W20 full synthetic will make a measurable difference of a percent or two that justifies the increased oil cost, but your engine needs to be able to handle it. Typically, thinner oil requires smoother engine finishes, tighter tolerances, special coatings, etc. If you have a new Altima, Sentra, or Rogue that was designed for 0W20, then you should use it. Nissan recommends 5W30 HR16DE . You may be able to get away with 0W20, as it will still improve fuel economy in engines not designed around it. However, if you are going to try something outside of the manufacturer's recommendation, you should be careful, check your oil levels regularly, do oil analysis to measure wear, listen for valve clatter, etc... may not be worth the risk/work.

http://www.swri.org/3pubs/brochure/ae/p ... nceVID.pdf

docswitzer
2014 Altima 2.5l SV

Appreciate the link and input, Ine937s! I could not get a straight answer from the dealership. Driving 300-500 miles/week, so oil changes will be happening regularly, and conventional should suffice. Thanks again!

lne937s
Car: 2012 Nissan Juke SL AWD

Glad I could help. Just make sure it is ILSAC GF-5 rated (most major brands are). If the synthetic/blend is on sale and there is not much difference in cost, it might work out in your favor and won't hurt anything to switch back and forth. But you should be fine with conventional, changing the oil every other month.

However, with that many miles, make sure you are paying attention to your CVT. I would recommend a drain and fill with the correct CVT fluid about once a year with the amount of miles you are putting up. Unlike a flush, this is something you can do easily yourself and it eliminates the possibility of residual ATF contamination from the flush equipment. Just measure the amount you get out and put the same amount in (checking the level properly and topping off if necessary)-- these transmissions are sensitive to fluid level.

docswitzer
2014 Altima 2.5l SV

The CVT on our 2.5L Altima SV behaves completely different from the Versa, and I have noted slippage in the Versa. There is no "dipstick" or "level window" on the Versa CVT, but the dealer insist everything is normal. I can only "try" to keep them honest (yeah, good luck) LOL.

Thanks!

Return to “Versa General Chat”