Low Fuel Light on 2011 Nissan Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
MH86
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue S AWD

I've had my Rogue for 4 months, and the only time I waited for the low fuel warning, it didn't light up until 28 miles to empty. After driving only 5 miles, I filled up with 15.2 gallons.

This week I had the TSB on the fuel gauge addressed so I figured the low fuel light would turn on at 45-miles to empty like most cars do. Today, I had 40 miles remaining and saw no fuel warning. I went to the gas station and filled up with 15.1 gallons.

To all the other 2011 Rogue owners out there: at how many miles to empty does your low fuel light illuminate?

(Yes, I know that running low on fuel is bad for the pump; I just want to know if my low fuel light is broken).

Thanks.

TaiLuu
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano LE AWD
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum

The light goes on for me around 25 miles to empty. So a little more than a gallon there.
I don't mind it. It usually gets annoying having it go off early. And after 15 miles to empty left the computer stops reading it. that's when it gets dangerous.
When I fill the car to full it goes up to 300 miles. It use to be 400. I get 21.0 mpg too.
I'm actually gonna start using my math to calculate the mte because I don't think mine is right.

MH86

TaiLuu wrote:The light goes on for me around 25 miles to empty. So a little more than a gallon there.
I don't mind it. It usually gets annoying having it go off early. And after 15 miles to empty left the computer stops reading it. that's when it gets dangerous.
When I fill the car to full it goes up to 300 miles. It use to be 400. I get 21.0 mpg too.
I'm actually gonna start using my math to calculate the mte because I don't think mine is right.
It sounds like you're at least getting a warning when you have a gallon left. Given that the Rogue's tank holds 15.9 gallons, I feel like I should've gotten some sort of warning after running the tank down to the last 0.8 gallons.

I have to go back to the Nissan dealer later this week anyway because the "Check Engine" light is on; I guess I'll ask them about the fuel gauge/low fuel light when I'm there.

zengshengliu
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

Actually I believe the Rogue can hold more than 15.9 gallons of gas. I once run into the last bar of gas and when I get to the gas station, I managed to put in 16.2 or 16.3 gallons of gas, and I am sure the tank still got more gas in it.
And I dont know why your light come on so late. Mine came on around 50 miles to go(2 bars) and the dte will show ------ (unavailable) when it get to around 30 miles dte

MH86

zengshengliu wrote:Actually I believe the Rogue can hold more than 15.9 gallons of gas. I once run into the last bar of gas and when I get to the gas station, I managed to put in 16.2 or 16.3 gallons of gas, and I am sure the tank still got more gas in it.
And I dont know why your light come on so late. Mine came on around 50 miles to go(2 bars) and the dte will show ------ (unavailable) when it get to around 30 miles dte
I've heard about the Rogue holding possibly holding more than 15.9 gallons of gas before. I'm just annoyed about the "low fuel" light because it's behaving more like the "out of fuel" light. I haven't run out of gas because of it, but I can totally see the typically clueless driver running out of gas because they saw the low fuel light go on and though they still had at least 40 miles to get to the gas station. I'm definitely gonna ask the dealer about that.

zengshengliu
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

That really have something to do with your driving style.
For me, if I drive rough, I get around 19-20 mpg. The light will come on when it is closed to 30 miles dte because you are using more fuel on that trip.
If I drive smooth, and get around 25-26 mpg, the light come on early (around 45 miles dte) because the same amount of fuel left can last longer.
So it really depend on the driving style and also the weather(temperature)
But if you are getting around 25-26 mpg and the light still come on when it is like 20 miles dte, then you should definitely get it check out

MH86

zengshengliu wrote:That really have something to do with your driving style.
For me, if I drive rough, I get around 19-20 mpg. The light will come on when it is closed to 30 miles dte because you are using more fuel on that trip.
If I drive smooth, and get around 25-26 mpg, the light come on early (around 45 miles dte) because the same amount of fuel left can last longer.
So it really depend on the driving style and also the weather(temperature)
But if you are getting around 25-26 mpg and the light still come on when it is like 20 miles dte, then you should definitely get it check out
I typically get 24-26 mpg, so I can't imagine my DTE computer is acting normal. I actually have to go back to the dealer tomorrow because the "check engine" light is now on, so I'll ask them about the DTE (even though I feel like they'll just tell me it's "normal operation").

MH86

UPDATE: The "check engine" light was caused by a loose gasket, which of course was fixed under warranty. I asked about the DTE/low fuel light, and of course I was told that it's "operating normally."

Now yesterday, my DTE said "37 miles to empty" and still no "low fuel" warning. I went to the gas station and the car ended up taking 14.84 gallons. If the tank only held 15.9 gallons, that would mean that I barely had a gallon left. But if the tank held 17.2 gallons (which is apparently listed for Rogues in Mexico), that would mean I had a little more than 2 gallons left, which would make more sense. FYI, I had traveled 387 miles on that tank, so I got 26 MPG.

Anyone else out there with a 2011 Rogue (specifically a Rogue and specifically a 2011), please post if you've had a low fuel warning, how many miles to empty were left, and how much fuel you actually had remaining.

Thanks

TaiLuu
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano LE AWD
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum

I've never filled to the top. There's rumors going around that a full tank is bad for your car.
and plus; 5 Gallons liquid = 50lb, so your carrying an extra 150lb + of weigh on your Rogue. Which will effect handling, Power output, and braking.
I usually carry 5 - 9 gallons of gasoline.

Return to “Rogue Forum”