Low beam Headlights don't work on Pathfinder

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
fciavarra
Car: 2008 Nissan Pathfinder

Ok, Here is the situation.
Both low beam headlights DO NOT WORK but the High beams DO WORK. I tried obviously checking the bulbs. They are fine. THen I check for power getting to the bulbs and there isn't any. I checked all the Fuses and they are fine. Then I replaced the control switch on the steering column and still same results. SO, What is going on? I just got it back from the shop that was working on it and I think they screwed something up. Seems like there is also an issue with the Air bags too because it continually flashes. I called them and told them they need to fix it but it's a hike out there and they take forever. I'm just all around sick of them so I want to figure it out my self. Any ideas here?? Seems like and electrical problem somewhere? but why only the Low BEams?
ANybody know what this could be?????? Please help me out. :wtf2:

atraudes
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4 4WD

Check the relay. The easiest way to do that is swap it with another relay of the same type.

If you have fog lights, you can verify that the switch on the steering column works by seeing if the fog lights go on and off with the light switch. I'm pretty sure they don't turn on unless the headlight and fog light switches are flipped on.

atraudes

And welcome to the forum! I just saw this was your first post.

As far as the airbag light, try the below steps, courtesy of Nickoli415 (http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/armada/2 ... light.html)

1. Turn the key from off to on.
2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.
3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)
4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.
5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.
6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

Sorry to hear about the mechanic; that's a crummy situation to be in!

fciavarra

I didn't think to check the relay. Thanks for the reply! So basically the airbags need reset in the system?

atraudes

That's what it sounds like, yeah. It looks to be a common Nissan symptom after tinkering with the electrical system in a way that somehow affects the airbag system.

fciavarra

OK, I tried switching out the relay with similar relays on the panel (At least the 2 I think it could be) and it didn't work. Still no headlights. I also tried the airbag reset and I didn't get any results either. I have no idea what this could be...

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

Do you have daytime running lights on your Pathfinder? There is a control module for the daytime running lights that can fail and cause your low beam lights to not work.

miamiheat3332
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE - 2006 BMW X5 4.8is - 2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport

Its probably the body control module. Mine had same issue last year.

Its located under the steering wheel where your knees go, need to remove that plastic underside from dash. Itll be a square box closest mounted to the left. I bought a used one on ebay from a qx4. 2 plugs that you need to remove from old one, plug into new and remount it.

I believe i had to also reprogram my keyless entry fobs but that takes 30-40 sec a fob. You can do a search and find the procedure on here most likely.

miamiheat3332
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE - 2006 BMW X5 4.8is - 2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport

I also just read on your post that you replaced the steering wheel switch, i did the same but it was the body control module, also did the swapping relays- no go.

Edit: also just seen you have a 08 path. I dont know much about those but know the r50 in and out, its probably same thing, but youd need to do some research if its located in the same area.

fciavarra

UPDATE: Ok, So I took it to the dealership to have them run the diagnostics on it. They are saying that the IPDM/ER Intelligent Power Distribution Module Engine Room has a bad circuit inside of it and needs replaced. The flashing airbag sensor is a bad air bag sensor that needs replaced. They quoted me over $1,000 for this including parts and 4 hours labor. Plus a $89 diagnostics fee. I am going to order the IPDM and install it myself. I will let you know how it turns out.

fciavarra

Kompresshun wrote:Do you have daytime running lights on your Pathfinder? There is a control module for the daytime running lights that can fail and cause your low beam lights to not work.
I do not have daytime running lights.

fciavarra

UPDATE: I found the IPDM/ER for my vehicle in stock at one of the Nissan Dealers. FYI - The replacement was COMPLETELY different looking and arranged differently also was black instead of white. The dealer and I checked it several times and it had a different part number. He went back and asked the technicians and they said that Nissan changed the IMPD but it was the correct one. I replace the old one with the new one and BAM! we have low beam headlights again! PROBLEM SOLVED! I thin this seems to be a common problem. Hopefully this can help someone else out there with this same issue.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

What did it end up costing you? (if you don't mind sharing). Thx.

fciavarra

It cost me $89 from Nissan for the diagnostics and $190 for the new IPDM.

mproctor90
Car: 2013 pathfinder

Hey guys I’m new to the forum and I’m kind of having a hard time navigating it so forgive me if the answer is somewhere on another thread. Anyways I’m having this same headlight issue with my 2013 pathfinder. I saw that someone said it’s the body control module and someone else said it’s the ipdm. What I’m wondering is are those the same thing and people are just referring to them by different names or are they 2 separate parts. I’m assuming they are different. I looked and looked and couldn’t find a relay labeled for low beam headlights. I found a high beam one which seemed odd. Would that maybe be the low beam one also? My fog lights and high beams work. I also don’t have any daytime running lights. Any info would be super appreciated. Thanks guys.

wb4lbg

mproctor90 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:38 am
Hey guys I’m new to the forum and I’m kind of having a hard time navigating it so forgive me if the answer is somewhere on another thread. Anyways I’m having this same headlight issue with my 2013 pathfinder. I saw that someone said it’s the body control module and someone else said it’s the ipdm. What I’m wondering is are those the same thing and people are just referring to them by different names or are they 2 separate parts. I’m assuming they are different. I looked and looked and couldn’t find a relay labeled for low beam headlights. I found a high beam one which seemed odd. Would that maybe be the low beam one also? My fog lights and high beams work. I also don’t have any daytime running lights. Any info would be super appreciated. Thanks guys.
Did you resolve your issue with your low beams? I have the exact problem with my 2013 Pathfinder. If you replaced the IPDM, what did it cost and where did you get it? I called my local dealer for the IPDM and he wanted over $1200 for it.

wb4lbg

Update on my Low beam issue. It turned out to be the H11 bulbs. They were both burned out. I'm nearly 100% sure they both went at the same time because I park in a garage and I've very conscious of looking at the wall in front of me when I start to back out. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed it if I had one out.

Anybody ever lost both lamps at the same time? I sure am glad that's all it turned out to be.

AlanAZ
Car: 2003 QX4 rwd

wb4lbg wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:29 pm
Anybody ever lost both lamps at the same time?
Me. In my ex-wife's Mercedes, ~5 yrs old at the time. They came on for a fraction of a second, and then both gone. Drove home with the fog lights on, and replaced them the next day. All other times, just one failed at a time.

Fwiw: I recently replaced the H11 bulbs in a friend's Toyota Solara with Philips X-tremeVision +100% bulbs, huge difference. Often the "100% better" is wildly optimistic, but in this case, pretty accurate, both for light output and distance. The older factory bulbs I pulled out were also Philips, and I like that the new bulbs are designed and made in Germany.

jjj464
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Hello all, I've been pretty lucky so far with my 2001 Pathfinder (USA) (love the standard tranny) - but probably time to get acquainted with this forum.

Like some of the above, both low beams out but both high beams function. I have DTRL's and they work but there is no control module next to the battery. I have fog lights and they both work. The switch will turn the fog lights on and off (both the dedicated fog light control and they turn on and off depending on the main control) but switch does nothing for the low beams. I verified the fuses are good. I tried the "push the door button ten times" diagnostic test but that must not work on this model.

It seems unlikely that two relays or even two bulbs would go out low beams only at the same time? So the switch or am I seeing that there may be some sort of other control module under the steering column?

Thanks for you help!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

There's generally only one low beam relay, but it drives two fuses for left and right. If there's no power on the low beam wires then chances are the relay is faulty. However, 2 burnt bulbs happens more frequently than you think. People often don't notice one side being out until the other fails and they're driving in the dark. That depends how attentive you are.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

jjj464 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:12 pm

Like some of the above, both low beams out but both high beams function. I have DTRL's and they work but there is no control module next to the battery. I have fog lights and they both work. The switch will turn the fog lights on and off (both the dedicated fog light control and they turn on and off depending on the main control) but switch does nothing for the low beams. I verified the fuses are good. I tried the "push the door button ten times" diagnostic test but that must not work on this model.

It seems unlikely that two relays or even two bulbs would go out low beams only at the same time? So the switch or am I seeing that there may be some sort of other control module under the steering column?

Thanks for you help!
If you have DRL's then there has to be a DRL module. It's beige in color and sits on the inside of the passenger side fender (under the hood), next to the battery.

Here's a link to an older thread with lots of information. Good luck.

headlight-works-on-high-beam-but-not-on ... l%20module

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”