Love Mercedes Test drive

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

I went to this event in Hollywood Park today. For those who don't know it's basically an event where you get to drive various MBZ's on small courses.

In any case, MBZ products are great. Lacks some soul, but they definitelty know quality. I test drove a SL430 and SL500 on their bad conditions course where they had wet traction and 2 sand ridden areas. Fun stuff. Though I made my friend's wife sick and dizzy in the SL500. They drove the SL430 on their own before getting into the SL500 with me and they didn't realize the car could actually move like it did. Though it's not exactly a performance car it drove with fairly decent precision. The steering in both cars were slow, but I can't expect much from what is more of a luxury car and with it's long wheelbase.

The lines for the roadsters got very long. So I opted to test out the CLK500 coupe on their higher speed course. Not as agile around the cones as I would like but certainly acceptable. I cut very close to the cones in a slalom section. While I was able to cut it very close the feeling was vague enough that I was not confident I missed the cones until I looked in the rearview. It moved quite quickly and braking was pretty good. And even better, the people didn't yell at me this time for driving too fast.

I did take a close look at the display cars. It's what I expected to find. However, the one thing that impressed me the most was actually the new CL coupe's doors. They are somehow on a double hinge that when opened, not only moves the door out, but also forward making it very easy to get your feet out without kicking the interior panel. Or even hitting the car next to you with the door trying to squeeze your feet out. Even with the door opened only a small amount you can get your feet out pretty easy.

I'm not swayed in anyway to buy a MBZ now. Nor was I the last time I went to one of these. I go more just to drive the piss out of their cars, but there is no denying that they do make nice cars.

On another note, they did have an off-road course to show the capabilities of the ML and G-series SUVs. They use various ramps to simulate certain offroad situations. One of the drivers got onto a ramp designed to force the car on 2 opposite corner wheels. He got on it a bit wrong and was left in a rather precarious situation where the right front tire was barely on the ramp. and in all their wisdom, they didn't realize it was only hanging on because the wheel was turned sideways a little. So as they tried to manuever the vehicle, they straightened out the wheel. Kerplop. The wheel slipped off and the right side of the car hit the edge of the ramp on the way down. They eventually took both the ML320's they were using off that course.

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Sounds like fun. I think Infiniti needs to do something like that. It may be a good way to introduce Infiniti to people who are used to going the BMW or Acura route.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Sound slike fun!!

Shameless plug:Infiniti cars own MB/BMW in value and quality.

For the price of a stripped BMW530 you can get an M45 with more features, longer warranty, higehr reliability and a V8 instead of a V6!Same with MB C280 cost same as G35 which owns it in everery single category imaginable.

Fred..:D

C-Kwik

I agree Infiniti needs something like this. I mean test drives only allow you to experience so much. And sales guys are usually nervous around drivers like us. This really allows you to open the car up and let loose a bit. And it's done in a safe environment.

The last one I went to before this was a little more fun. It was centered around the New(at the time) C-Class. They brought competitors cars out as well and had them available to drive around the same course. They had a IS300, a BMW 325(I think) and an Audi A4.

louiegz
Car: 2003 BMW 330i, 2007 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

I've been to a few of the Chrysler and MB ones. They are really fun and you can see how the car performs. I highly recommend them.

rydwhite

I did one for BMW a few years ago. I had a blast.

MapleLeaf

I can tell you guys with much confidence that Mercedes builds an extremely low quality product. Yes, they rank high (if not THE highest) on technology.... but not quality.

I am a former MB service writer and technical advisor, I say this with a LOT of confidence. I can even go into specifics about each model and provide you with MAJOR technical issues which occur during, and after the warranty period. Some Benzes are ok, but, keep your fingers crossed, their engines/electronics are not Japanese.

I've been driving German cars for years, I finally got fed up and traded in my C320 Benz and BMW X5 for a '04 G35 Coupe and a '04 4Runner.

German cars are crap, too bad the image they project seem to disillusion even the smartest of buyers.... everyone is finally waking up now.

rydwhite

Always nice to hear people switching from the over-hyped German cars of Merceds and BMW to the under-hyped Infiniti. How are you liking the G35?

MapleLeaf

How am I liking the G? One word; Silk.

Except for a few things that I hope to get addressed at the first service....

1. The car seems to have developed a SLIGHT pull to the right. (I have 18's if it matters)

2. There's some kind of rattling sound from the passenger seat when it's empty and I go over a bump... it's loud.

3. The back seat leather stitching is not symmetrical, the L/R is perfect whereas the R/R seems to have been stitched by a child.

Overall I am very happy with it. I didn't get stranded with it yet, which is more than I can say for every BMW&MB I've ever owned.

rydwhite

The rattle from the passenger seat sounds like it could be the seat belt rattling against the door frame. I think that most people have this rattle and have figured someway around it. I push the passenger seat all the way back and then tilt the seat back enough that the buckle is over the shoulder. Some people have made little sleeves for the buckle and others simply fasten the seat belt.

It sounds like you just need an alignment to fix the pull to the right. I don't think that there is anything commonly wrong with the car regarding a pull.

Glad to hear that you like the car. Hopefully the dealer can address all your issues. Not too sure about the seat stitching though.

MapleLeaf

Thanks for the tip on the seatbelt. I'll definetely look into that.

I sometimes wish I had a 6MT, but during Boston rush hour traffic and heavy construction in the city, I'm very pleased with my 5AT choice. Plus, I'm lucky enough to own the G and a 4Runner without the wife complaining!

rydwhite

I know the feeling. I wanted the 6mt, but I had a 6 month wait for one and I could have the auto coupe that day. Plus I was in rush hour traffic during the week and it is nice not having to worry about the 6mt while in stop and go traffic everyday. Now though, I work where I don't really have to worry about the rush hour traffic and I wish I had the 6mt. Oh well, maybe for the next car.

C-Kwik

I thought I had responded to the seatbelt issue. I must have clicked no the wrong button.

Anyways, I have found my seatbelt rattles if the arm holding it out is folded down. If I bring it up to being horizontal, it stops rattling. That might be the issue.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”