Loud rotor brake noises

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
pignosedslut
Car: S13

Hey everyone,

I put my s13 back together and drove it today for the first time in months. I noticed the rotors were pretty loud in the back when I was driving down the street without braking. Both rear calipers aren’t seized. What could cause this? Brakes weren’t crazy hot when I pulled into my garage after.

macgiver

mac, very likely from sitting rotors can rust severe enough , and be very loud and rough. I have a car been sitting , unregistered, needs head gasket -yet still I drive 1/4 mile "round the block' every week to ten days.I'm a mechanic , I install pads and such and so I'm perfectly comfortable with it "sloughing off" when back on road full time.Some here may say in their opinion , IF that's it, that you MUST like sand/resurface the rust CLEAN from rotor surface and pads (even pad replace if worn low obviously).Especially in wet/humid environment this the most likely cause - and go and stick your fingers through wheels to touch rotor surface - see if rough RED rust buildup IS there ?? What I'm leaving you with is check this out - you may just wanna let rust problem virtually disappear with positive,moderately heavy ,semi aggressive braking that can "clean-up" on it's own. :cool:

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

"Grizzly Grinder" can resurface discs on the car.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

X2 post #2. The car sitting has rusted the discs. Simply apply the brake and slowly scrub it off, it'll go back to quiet pretty quick.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”