Lost some brake fluid

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
mikewill53
Car: 2011 Infiniti M30d

Hi
Just a quick question I changed the brakes on my M30 and had to remove the calipers.. this resulted in some brake fluid being lost. Can I just top it up or is it more serious?
Thanks
Mike

crrraaig
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x
2011 BMW x5 xDrive35i
2006 BMW 330xi
1999 Mazda Miata MX-5
1990 Ford Taurus SHO
1973 Norton Commando 750
1972 Triumph Bonneville 750
1966 Volvo 1800S

It's your brakes man! Brakes are the one area on a car that I don't get to have a beer until after the job is done! :chuckle:

Of course, that was back when beer wasn't being rationed like TP.

So you had to take the brake line off the caliper? Anytime you open that system up, air is going to get in there. Air compresses nicely and does bad things to the ability of your brakes to work as intended. There is also water in air, which I wouldn't want in my lines but I don't think the water is as big a deal as the loss of braking power that happens when that compressible bubble of air gets in the line.

So, with air in the lines, you can't stop in as short a distance - not a big deal until it is, and then it is a very big deal indeed.

Bleed those brakes. :)

On this topic, does anyone here have experience with the "Motive Products, European Power Brake Bleeder" on Amazon? I've been thinking about flushing the lines on my fleet and this makes it look very easy to pour through gallons of brake fluid all by myself.

kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

The one that I bought is this: "PMD Products Pneumatic Brake Fluid Bleeder w/ 4 Master Cylinder Adapters 90-120 PSI". It requires an air compressor and works great for me.

Yoda's Master
Car: 2012 M56
2009 370z

crrraaig wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:36 am
It's your brakes man! Brakes are the one area on a car that I don't get to have a beer until after the job is done! :chuckle:

Of course, that was back when beer wasn't being rationed like TP.

So you had to take the brake line off the caliper? Anytime you open that system up, air is going to get in there. Air compresses nicely and does bad things to the ability of your brakes to work as intended. There is also water in air, which I wouldn't want in my lines but I don't think the water is as big a deal as the loss of braking power that happens when that compressible bubble of air gets in the line.

So, with air in the lines, you can't stop in as short a distance - not a big deal until it is, and then it is a very big deal indeed.

Bleed those brakes. :)

On this topic, does anyone here have experience with the "Motive Products, European Power Brake Bleeder" on Amazon? I've been thinking about flushing the lines on my fleet and this makes it look very easy to pour through gallons of brake fluid all by myself.
I have motive and it works great. You just have to make sure you bleed it in the order the FSM specifies and not far to near. Far to near doesn't work and it messes with your booster. Take it from someone who thought traditional bleeding was just as good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJ5DZE2/

mikewill53
Car: 2011 Infiniti M30d

Thanks for the reply, I'll bleed them
Regards
Mike

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”