Lost engine power, stranded - where is the....

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
kgaskins
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan

all of a sudden engine power went to nothing, then stopped. Left us stranded. Towed to house, checked oit next morning, nothing. had to add 4 quartz. Engine started, but now knocking noise. Knocking went away, I thought WHEW! That was close. I spoke to soon. I started to drive down to get the engine flushed when , boom, same thing. started to loose engine power, then stalled. Stranded yet again. But this time, when it cooled down, NOTE THE TEMP GAUGE WAS FINE) started right up and drove ti home. Still asame issues.

Two people with two different answers..

1. lower bearings gone. must pull engine to rebuild2. could be timing off, timing chain broke tooth, etc. must rebuild engine.

my 03 has zero leaks, but man she sure does burn a lot of oil. just had to add that. I've run full synthetic in her and changed oil regularly.

Question 1: Does anyone have step by step directions on engine swaps?Question 2: Does anyone have a video of engine swaps?Question 3: Can I put a newer model G35 engine in my 03 Sedan with no mods?Question 4: I can't believe how quickly it went down, and with out warning! ok, that is more of a statement.

I appreciate any help I could get from you guys. My wife and I were laidoff from our jobs, and now this! Please no opinions, just real facts with information. We have to get this thing back on the road. We just fixed the stupid radio/HVAC dash electrical crap that SHOULD BE A RECALL! After three OEM radio replacements, we decided to replace the unit with aftermarket! SHOULD HAVE DONE THAT A LONG TIME AGO! This fixed all the electrical problems.

My current G35 has a few aftermarket mods: Plenum spacer, AEM cold Air Intake, Complete cat back Stillin dual exhaust. slotted/drilled roters, etc., etc.,

SERVQ
Car: 2002 Nissan Sentra VQ'd

kgaskins wrote:all of a sudden engine power went to nothing, then stopped. Left us stranded. Towed to house, checked oit next morning, nothing. had to add 4 quartz. Engine started, but now knocking noise. Knocking went away, I thought WHEW! That was close. I spoke to soon. I started to drive down to get the engine flushed when , boom, same thing. started to loose engine power, then stalled. Stranded yet again. But this time, when it cooled down, NOTE THE TEMP GAUGE WAS FINE) started right up and drove ti home. Still asame issues.

Two people with two different answers..

1. lower bearings gone. must pull engine to rebuild2. could be timing off, timing chain broke tooth, etc. must rebuild engine.

my 03 has zero leaks, but man she sure does burn a lot of oil. just had to add that. I've run full synthetic in her and changed oil regularly.

Question 1: Does anyone have step by step directions on engine swaps?Question 2: Does anyone have a video of engine swaps?Question 3: Can I put a newer model G35 engine in my 03 Sedan with no mods?Question 4: I can't believe how quickly it went down, and with out warning! ok, that is more of a statement.

I appreciate any help I could get from you guys. My wife and I were laidoff from our jobs, and now this! Please no opinions, just real facts with information. We have to get this thing back on the road. We just fixed the stupid radio/HVAC dash electrical crap that SHOULD BE A RECALL! After three OEM radio replacements, we decided to replace the unit with aftermarket! SHOULD HAVE DONE THAT A LONG TIME AGO! This fixed all the electrical problems.

My current G35 has a few aftermarket mods: Plenum spacer, AEM cold Air Intake, Complete cat back Stillin dual exhaust. slotted/drilled roters, etc., etc.,
when it shut down the second time did you have oil?you need to check your oil pressure. oil sending unit is right above the oil pan on the irght bank side(good area to tap in). it has a three pin connector I believe. you may still be able to save the motor if you haven't driven too long on low oil pressure. a VQ shouldn't drop below 20psi(at operating temp). usually a nissan will leave you stranding because of a sensor or something electrical. when you say knocking, it sounds like something mechanical and a lot more serious. hopefully not a spun rod bearing... good luck
Modified by SERVQ at 9:19 PM 10/27/2009

dradisic

I think I have the same problem as kgaskin. My radio/HVAC don't work, no control over it, buttons on the dash don't work. I have a 2003 G35 Sedan. Can you please tell me what you had to change. Thanks for your help.

kgaskins

dradisic wrote:I think I have the same problem as kgaskin. My radio/HVAC don't work, no control over it, buttons on the dash don't work. I have a 2003 G35 Sedan. Can you please tell me what you had to change. Thanks for your help.
The interior piece that houses the HVAC/Radio was replaced for about $250.00, then I replaced the garbage head unit with an aftermarket double din DVD etc...what a difference. I wish I had done this a long time ago. I wasnt sure at first, but the stereo shop knew all about the problems and knew exactly what to get for me. All in all, under a grand, a top notch head unit and all my HVAC back in control.

dradisic

Thanks for your message that you posted. I've been having this problem for the past year on and off and didn't know what to do, was going nuts. I ended up changing the radio like you said with an after market one, plus you need the kit with the controls for HVAC and everything works now. Ended up losing my factory GPS because it didn't fit with the new kit, interference on the clearance, shame but at least my heating and new radio works like it should. Thanks again for your time.

kgaskins

dradisic wrote:Thanks for your message that you posted. I've been having this problem for the past year on and off and didn't know what to do, was going nuts. I ended up changing the radio like you said with an after market one, plus you need the kit with the controls for HVAC and everything works now. Ended up losing my factory GPS because it didn't fit with the new kit, interference on the clearance, shame but at least my heating and new radio works like it should. Thanks again for your time.
No problem. I am glad it worked out. If you really want the GPS, try the aftermarket units with DVD/GPS built in. They work wonderfully. Best of luck! I think Infinity should step up to the plate and pay everyone for this obvious "recall" item! Its a safety issue when you cant use your HVAC controls...example the windows could fog up etc etc....

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”