Loss of Power going uphill -- CVT?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
rivers17

Hey guys -

Looking for some help on this one. 2009 Rogue S with 59K. No issues with it the last 3 years until yesterday!

After about 800 miles in 4 days, lots of driving at highway speeds, right near end of drive I noticed a loss of power. I was at highway speeds.. roughly 70 and hit accelerator to go uphill. BUT no response, I had the pedal to the floor and the car actually lost speed going uphill. This happened for the last hour of the ride every time I hit an incline. Got off highway at a stop light, had to hit gas to floor and nothing happened then it jumped and was fine. After that driving, heard a lot of whirring from car... CVT? Drove it around a bit today... no issues/cant replicate.

Any ideas? I was actually about to trade it in this Fall/Winter so the timing isnt too great on this. Bringing to dealer this weekend.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Ryan

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

tranny needs attention. it hit limp mode for some reason.

Black B15

rivers17 wrote:Hey guys -

Looking for some help on this one. 2009 Rogue S with 59K. No issues with it the last 3 years until yesterday!

After about 800 miles in 4 days, lots of driving at highway speeds, right near end of drive I noticed a loss of power. I was at highway speeds.. roughly 70 and hit accelerator to go uphill. BUT no response, I had the pedal to the floor and the car actually lost speed going uphill. This happened for the last hour of the ride every time I hit an incline. Got off highway at a stop light, had to hit gas to floor and nothing happened then it jumped and was fine. After that driving, heard a lot of whirring from car... CVT? Drove it around a bit today... no issues/cant replicate.

Any ideas? I was actually about to trade it in this Fall/Winter so the timing isnt too great on this. Bringing to dealer this weekend.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Ryan
I am having almost the exact same issue. I scheduled an appointment with Nissan for Monday, and I would recommend you do the same while you are still under warranty.

rivers17

Dealer took a look today.... new transmission needed. Install is tomorrow/Monday.
1!
Thanks for the tips guys. And Black B15 - go get yours checked asap

Black B15

That is fantastic news! Definitely getting mine looked at on Monday at 7 am.

kilogram
Car: 2010 Rogue Krom
2004 350Z performance

I had the fluid flushed last week after having similar problems and they haven't returned. That was at 47k. The Nissan guy here in Denver said they have a lot of issues with Rogue CVTs overheating in the mountains- they just weren't made for that kind of abuse. Similar things could understandably happen on hot days and long trips.

Seems the best fix would be to install a larger, adequate transmission cooler, since the issue is largely related to the fluid overheating. It would be a lot cheaper than replacing transmissions over and over again.

We're going on a road trip Saturday through the mountains out to San Diego. I'm not worried with the new fluid, and if it does happen you just stop for a while and let it cool off and it works again. We actually contemplated ditching the Rogue for a CX-9 before the trip. I guess we'll see if that would have been the right move.

dgms240
Car: '90 s13 hatch ka24det

Had the same issue on my wife's rogue on a road trip. Luckily it was on the return trip. Took it to the dealer the next day and they had to replace the transmission. It was all under warranty, so I'd def recommend anyone else with this issue taking it in asap. This happened around 70k.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Someone remind me WHY Nissan keeps pushing CvT's?

DTASFAB

Because they need a way to improve gas mileage to satisfy our fearless leaders in D.C. without investing in new engine technology like Mazda did.

dgms240
Car: '90 s13 hatch ka24det

Wife's car did it again a couple weeks ago, on the second transmission!!!!! As in one with less than 20,000 miles! Took it to the dealer and was told the fluid level was off. Apparently there is a sensor that will put the car in limp mode if the cvt fluid level is off. They fixed the fluid level, and it's been fine so far.

texas girl
Car: 2009 Rogue

I have a 2009 Rogue and I have started have the same problems discussed on this board. Driving at highway speed, 70-75 mph, and the vehicle won't accelerate. It's happened twice on the highway and once after I exited the highway, stopped at a stop sign and pushed the accelarator and nothing happened. Eventually the vehicle jumped and drove normally. I took it to the dealership and they're telling me the cvt needs to be replaced and the warranty has expired and the cost is around $4000.00. I called Nissan consumer affairs and expained my issue, they're all acting as though this is new and they know nothing about this problem but based on what I'm reading, this is a common problem. The Nissan rep is referring my issue to a regional engineer who is supposed to contact the dealership and get back with me. I think everyone who is experiencing this problem should contact Nissan consumer affairs and the National Safety Board. The more complaints they get, the greater the chance Nissan will have to address the issue and stop hiding behind the "we don't know anything about this issue". The phone number of Nissan Consumer Affairs 800-647-7261. Does anyone have a phone number for the National Safety Board or any other regulatory agency to report this to?

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

texas girl wrote:I have a 2009 Rogue and I have started have the same problems discussed on this board. Driving at highway speed, 70-75 mph, and the vehicle won't accelerate. It's happened twice on the highway and once after I exited the highway, stopped at a stop sign and pushed the accelarator and nothing happened. Eventually the vehicle jumped and drove normally. I took it to the dealership and they're telling me the cvt needs to be replaced and the warranty has expired and the cost is around $4000.00. I called Nissan consumer affairs and expained my issue, they're all acting as though this is new and they know nothing about this problem but based on what I'm reading, this is a common problem. The Nissan rep is referring my issue to a regional engineer who is supposed to contact the dealership and get back with me. I think everyone who is experiencing this problem should contact Nissan consumer affairs and the National Safety Board. The more complaints they get, the greater the chance Nissan will have to address the issue and stop hiding behind the "we don't know anything about this issue". The phone number of Nissan Consumer Affairs 800-647-7261. Does anyone have a phone number for the National Safety Board or any other regulatory agency to report this to?
Take it to another dealer. You have a 2009 Rogue, which has a 120,00 mile warranty for the CVT transmission. You should not have to pay anything. Unless of course you are over 120,000 miles.
http://www.nissanassist.com/faqs.php
Q2.
What are the new terms of the extended warranty?
A.
To provide customers with additional assurance regarding their overall cost of ownership we have doubled the warranty period for the transmission in all Model Year 2003 to 2010 Nissan models with a CVT. The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended at no cost, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first.

This extension is effective immediately and requires no action on the customer's part. The remainder of the powertrain warranty coverage for components other than the transmission remains unchanged, at 5 years/60,000 miles, and your basic warranty coverage also remains unchanged. All other warranty terms, limitations and conditions otherwise apply.

bigmo93
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL
Rear Spoiler
Chrome Front Grille
Stickerbombed

brought my 2008 rogue into the dealership about a month ago and told me my car was running great which was a bunch of bs. i waited another month and was still hearing the whining noise then brought it to the dealership where i bought my car and immediately told me that i needed a new transmission. they installed it no problem. A week later i get new tires, on my way back i was on the highway and my traction control light and vdc light turned on and was a little concerned but then i restarted my car and turned off. Yesterday i was driving to work and they turned on again. I was going up a hill and the car completely stopped accelerating. brought it back to the dealership today waiting to hear back from them tomorrow. The car just hit 70,000 miles. its really sad because i absolutely love the car but its just keeps breaking. Im really considering getting rid of it because im worried whats going to happen when it hits 100,000 miles. The guy at the service desk even told me that the tranny is probably going to go again and told me to bring it in before 120,000 miles. Nissan has a lot of work to do.

toddsda
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

My wife's 2008 has the same problem. Nissan installed a rebuilt transmission and fixed the problem for a while. Later on, the same thing happened, so they installed a new transmission. About 20,000 miles later it's happening again, but Nissan says the new transmission only had a 12,000 mile warranty, so now we don't know what to do.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

toddsda wrote:My wife's 2008 has the same problem. Nissan installed a rebuilt transmission and fixed the problem for a while. Later on, the same thing happened, so they installed a new transmission. About 20,000 miles later it's happening again, but Nissan says the new transmission only had a 12,000 mile warranty, so now we don't know what to do.
tell them your lawyer is planning a class action lawsuit if your problem is not repaired. tell them the internet is FILLED with CVT problems, and willing participants.

atg

2015 rogue, same problem today, wife driving 65 and suddenly could not accelerate. Car temporarily lost power then regained it again gradually over several minutes. This was driving Santa Barbara to LA. Car has less than 20k miles. No lights came on in the dash when this happened. Will have her take to dealership tomorrow. She is a doctor and cannot drive sketchy equipment, so this one will have to go I think. Amazing it has been happening for at least four years and is still a problem on new cars. It was warm today out there so overheating fluid could have been an issue. Has never done this in town. Karl in LA

ahking
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I have a 2015 Rogue as well, and have been having similar issue as far as maintaining acceleration while going uphill/mountain roads. I took mine to the dealership, and they said that the computers reported no issues... I told them to drive it, to test it, and they said that they could not replicate the issue I described. Normal driving, to and from work never gives me issues. It's when I get on I-70 in Colorado, or any mountain road and try to keep up with traffic.
Finding the exact description of my issue coming from someone else is sort of a relief, but at the same time, what do I do? It is still covered under warranty, but they won't fix what the computer says isn't broken. I LOVE my car, but I need it to work, all the time. Suggestions??

FantomLightning
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue Select AWD w/ Convenience Package.
Graphite Blue

Ahking how many miles does your Rogue have on it? Normal procedure would be to have a CVT flush done to replace all the old fluid. That should allow the CVT to cool more efficiently, another question is have you ever been in an accident that required the replacement of the radiator?

Bishwo370
Car: 2013 Nissan Sentra

I guess, I have same issue.
I have nissan Sentra 2013, I took it second hand, I have already drove more than 4000km, yesterday while driving, Suddenly, Acceleration is not working or very slight acceleration while pressing very hard, RPM meter showing 3000 but no pickup at all. Only difference while it is during normal drive is I saw Sport light turned on in the display. But I know this car don't have sports mode, it is a basic model.

After parking safely, I turned off the Engine and turned on again after 10 second then it is normally working.

What may be happened? I got this situation twice till now. once last month and once yesterday.

Thanks & regards.

Return to “Rogue Forum”