Losing coolant in freezing weather startups...headgasket?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
98_Q45

Ever since I’ve moved the Q to a colder climate, I’ve noticed I’ve been periodically winding up to an empty coolant reservoir. For the most part, I’ve not needed to add much coolant over the year I’ve had it. Occasionally I would need to top up, but no visual leaks otherwise.

But this is just another cold weather startup issue I’m having. Cabin fills with fuel smell, and noticing in freezing temps even seeing steam coming from the hood near the windshield after driving short distance. After topping up and a road trip, I do not have to add any coolant.

Someone told me it’s a sign of headgasket failure. So far though, no overheating...Would a headgasket repair in a bottle be any good at this point?

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I'd find the actual leak before resorting to a "fix in a bottle" approach. If you're having trouble finding it, the parts stores have a loaner tool that lets you pressurize the cooling system.

98_Q45

Thanks for the tip. I think it’s time to run a compression test on the coolant. Trying to avoid another major fix.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”