Looking to Buy M37x with around 70k good or no?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
JiGG3d

I'm in the market for a car and I'm in love with the m37 it just screams me .. I seen a couple in my price range that I like. Some of them have 70k and up . Please help is it good to buy an m37 with already 70k on it?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Welcome to the forum.

My 2007 M35x ran to 140kmi without much problems but I maintain the crap out of my cars. My current M56x has 71kmi without any issue but again, I maintain the crap out of it.

Depends on the history and maintenance of the car.

JiGG3d

Thanks but that's not fully answering my question

agoodall
Car: 2011 M37x

I bought my 2011 M37x with 62k on the clock. It now has 92k on the clock. Runs great! I am having the 90k service done next week at my buddy's shop.

I always buy cars with at least 50k on them

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

JiGG3d wrote:Thanks but that's not fully answering my question
not sure what more of an answer you're looking for....
Any car past their warranty is a bit of a gamble. Plus you'll may be looking for some of the larger maintenance milestones coming up. With that said, it is a great car, there's no mass reports of any issues at this mileage so I would say - Yes it is good to buy it if the price is right.
I personally like to buy my cars still within the original warranty which affords me some level of piece of mind. I would suggest you have it thoroughly inspected by an independent mechanic before purchasing.

good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Altim8M37
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37 RWD

Anyone who comes on to a forum saying that a car "screams" them, especially one that has to have seventy thousand miles on it to be in their price range, sounds like they already have their mind made up.

silberma
Car: 2015 70QL

Most cars lose half their value within the first 3 years. The infinity has a 4 year warranty. For peace of mind I would recommend buying a 3 year old model as long as the mileage did not exceed 50K miles

SwissCheeseHead
Car: 11 M37x, 94 BMW 530i

Ilya wrote: Depends on the history and maintenance of the car.
I think this pretty much sums up any car buying experience. Cars that are maintained well and have a good history will probably treat you better than cars that do not have a maintenance history. Ilya pretty much told you that he has had no issues running his last car past 140K miles, but that he has a regimented maintenance schedule.

That experience is then extrapolated into his current car, and with his history, he is expecting to keep it at least until 140K.

Solid answer in my book.

If you want a Yes/No answer, you should do more research on the car itself, rather than getting opinions on an online forum.

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

SwissCheeseHead wrote:If you want a Yes/No answer, you should do more research on the car itself, rather than getting opinions on an online forum.
Agree with SwissCheeseHead - you can Google Infiniti M37 and read lots of car sites about the pros and cons for this model. True Delta is a site that lists the number of (reported) repair trips for various model and year vehicles. But its database is only as good as the number of owners who report to it, so take it with a grain of salt and it doesn't have enough data for several of the newer year models. Consumer Reports (if you believe in their "unbiased" reviews likes the M37), but I've seen other consumer automobile review sites state that the 2013 M37 reliability is not so good.

The forum is good if you have specific questions about certain years/models, eg.
Does the 2012 M56 have timing chain issues?
Does the 2011 M37 have tramlining problems like the M35?
What packages could I do without? ie like the Technology package - lane departure warning, etc (some folks don't want the computerized nanny chiming at them every time they get too close to the road stripes)

If your question is it okay to buy an M37 with this many miles? the answer, is it depends:
1. Is the price appropriate for a car with this many miles? Check the Kelly Blue Book and NADA car pricing for your model year
2. What are the maintenance records for the car? CarFax,etc. is somewhat limited in what is known on the history of the car (ie if the car had some damage, but the previous owner didn't file with the insurance company and took it to an independent shop, that might not be reported on CarFax). I would still want to see those records at the bare mininum.

You should try to find out if the vehicle was serviced regularly at Infiniti - ask your local Infiniti dealer (mine wouldn't print out the records for me - something about privacy laws with the previous owner, etc. but they would let me look at them on the computer screen for as long as I wanted) I found out that oil changes were done regularly, 2 tires had to be replaced, and some minor warranty work was done - a faulty trunk latch.
3. How badly do you want this car? I needed a car quick after my M45 was totaled. I knew I wanted a M37/56: with the Sport, Sport Journey, and Technology packages - NO M56s in the nation at my price point. Didn't want to pay more than $30k.
Willing to wait until I found the right one, but found an M37 that I couldn't pass up.

IF this vehicle was regularly maintained with records to prove it, and the price is right - the car could be a great deal. The VQ engine is rock solid IF maintained.
At 60,000 miles, you have MAJOR maintenance coming up:
1. Tranny flush
2. Differential flush
3. Power steering flush
4. Brake fluid flush
5. Radiator flush
6. Oil and oil filter change

Was this stuff done? If so, you should get it checked out by a mechanic you trust if they can't supply the maintenance records.
They should let you do that if they really want to sell you the car.

my 2 cents, good luck with the search, congrats and welcome if you end up buying!!

Craig

Altim8M37
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37 RWD

He/she already has their minds made up and nothing we say would sway them. When you are looking for x car with y miles and don't worry about z information related to a specific VIN, you are just asking for trouble.

IMHO, any 5 year old car regardless of miles, brand, model, etc is susceptible to common issues. If you don't have the money to make the repairs, buy a car that still has a warranty.

To the OP.....buying a car out of emotion and not considering the surrounding circumstances is not a wise decision. If you find a specific vehicle and want to ask us if the car is worth the money, that we can assist with. If you want to ask how a '11-'13 M stands up to the test of time and miles, we can help there, too. But clarification on what you need would be helpful.

TreyhunnaM37x
Car: M37x

pedsemdoc wrote:

IF this vehicle was regularly maintained with records to prove it, and the price is right - the car could be a great deal. The VQ engine is rock solid IF maintained.
At 60,000 miles, you have MAJOR maintenance coming up:
1. Tranny flush
2. Differential flush
3. Power steering flush
4. Brake fluid flush
5. Radiator flush
6. Oil and oil filter change

Was this stuff done? If so, you should get it checked out by a mechanic you trust if they can't supply the maintenance records.
They should let you do that if they really want to sell you the car.

my 2 cents, good luck with the search, congrats and welcome if you end up buying!!

Craig

Where is this in the manual? It just says inspect. I purchased a 13 with about 59k on it a month ago. It was well taken care of according to the records. I'm still on the drivetrain 70k warranty.

I'm going by this: https://owners.infinitiusa.com/content/ ... -guide.pdf

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

TreyhunnaM37x wrote:Where is this in the manual? It just says inspect.
"Optional" Premium upgrade schedule states changing many of these items - I look at the maintenance recommendations, kind of like oil changes. Many experts out there would probably say that for some modern engines/oil now, the oil change interval could as long as every 5,000-10,000 miles, but Infiniti maintenance manual states every 3750 miles.

I had my M45's changed every 3750, but I know lots of guys who go longer than that.
Your choice. Lot of differing opinions on tranny drain and fill vs flush and when you ought to do it.

I look at doing these things a little earlier than what is in the manual as more peace of mind for me. Is it overkill? probably, but I feel less confident in my serpentine belt if it's been 100,000+ miles, or with brakes if you drive harder than normal folks, etc.
Another example is I feel better when I know I have brand new engine air filters in place, even though the old ones might still be "good" for another 5,000 miles or so.

My M45 probably could've gone to 250k miles, but in my mind the only way that was going to happen was by being crazy OCD about maintenance.

To each his own - my extended warranty had run out on my M45 over a year ago before the wreck, so I was always a little bit nervous and paranoid something might fail.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”