Looking into a Datsun 510

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
ochizon

I am considering a Datsun 510, But I have a few concerns.

How hard/expensive is it to come by parts?

Is there any aftermarket support?

Also, what is a good price to pay for one?

This is the one that I am looking at:

" TARGET="_blank">http://adcache.collectorcartra...htm

I am very large (6'1", 290, built like a linebacker that has let himself go a bit :D ), will I have a lot of trouble fitting?

One last thing. when looking at a 510, what specific aread should I check for rust?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks guys...

compression

You will fit fine, as long as the seat slides far enough back, they have a surprising amount of interior space.

Look for rust in the trunk around the rear wheel wells, and in the spare tire well. Also look on the exterior of the car behind the rear(rear fender area) Check around the taillight and the "510" emblem. Check out the floor pans (lift up carpet) and check both sides. CHeck under the backseat and in the backseat footwell. Check around the windows. If its a 2-door check the rear side windows and the condition of the latches, rubber molding, window frame, seals, and all that, those parts are kind of hard to come by.Most part can be had pretty easily (i.e. parts for the L-series motors). There are options on the suspension if you talk to the right places. Some OEM stuff can still be bought at dealers, other parts can be found online, ebay, or private sellers. It is a challenge, but not impossible.There is aftermarket support once you know where to look. A good starting point is the dimequarterly online (do a search).good luck

froggie

Parts aren't that expensive, but shipping is if you don't live on the West Coast. Aftermarket support is there, depending on what you plan on doing. For the stock L16, carbs, intake, header and cams are still available. Not too many rim options, offset is an issue.

As far as rust, there is an excellent article in The Dime Quarterly;http://www.dimequarterly.tierr...dq5.3

Your size won't be an issue. But remember, this was an economy car that was built 30 years ago. Kind of tinny and lots of road noise.

I bought a 2 door automatic with 48K in near perfect condition a year ago for $3,500. Since then front coilovers, 280zx strut swap, lower rear springs, Sony stereo system, Competition Cam, Weber 32/36, Offenhauser intake, Panasports, & 195/50/15 Toyos. And I'm in the process of converting it over to a 5 speed.

510's are fun cars, easy to work on and classic.

koukis13
Car: r/c cars, drifting streetracing, being with family tuning cars

hey i have a dime question can u put power sterring on a 510??

compression

yes you can....If you convert to a rack/pinion system. You will also need the pump, and all the plumbing. I have never seen it done, but I have seen a few rack/pinion swaps. It would be a major pain in the ***, but anything is possible.BUT, you dont need power steering. the car is so light that steering effort is not an issue for most people. IF you have abnormally weak arms, then just put the stock steering wheel in, you get plenty of leverage with its large diameter.Your time and money can be better spent on other aspects of the car that will produce a much better payoff.

comrade418
Car: cars, and chicks

thats a good one, most people i've seen that race their cars have no powersteering, and if the car did bring it, they would take it off. "the car is so light that steering effort is not an issue for most people. " - compression.......i agree

koukis13

well ima try to drift my dime so thas why i asked

compression

You will definitely not need power steering for drifting.Dimes are not the best drifters anyway, at least the sedans, because of the short wheelbase and the design of the rear suspension. They love to rotate completely around very easily.The semi trailing arms toe in under acceleration because of the cars tendency to squat. When you release the throttle, they toe back out, making the car's rear end kick out if you are in a corner, it is very hard to control unless you get lots of practice.If you have a wagon, then its a different story, solid rear axle.

comrade418

if you want to drift get a tureno, carolla

Bandit240
Car: 1980 Datsun 720 King Cab

Hey what do yall think about trying to drift a 80 datsun 210 wagon? http://www.cardomain.com/id/bandit210

comrade418

if you do it......much propssss

ca18datsun510
Car: bmw 330i zhp, 91 infiniti m30, 89 240sx, 07 zx6r, 05 trx450r

you guys are p******.

we are in america. say corolla. unless you want to have a trueno shipped over.

comrade418

ok...............no need for angry words

koukis13

but datsuns got 50 50 weight transfer and if it tends to kick out u just countersteer i just dont wanna brake any fingers in my steering that kicks spinning pretty fast, and i chose the dime thinking of the no smog but now maybe i should get a newer rwd car any trades?

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”