Looking for speakers...

Home project-related forums. Woodworking, home improvement, landscape, and cooking discussion forum. Yeah, car guys cook.
PoorManQ45

Look in to building your own sub. Much more cost efficient.

In your situation I would recommend bass shakers mounted directly to your seats. Actually, they're better mounted to a platform with your seats on the platform, but most people won't go through this. There is something visceral about the floor shaking

AppleBonker
Car: Useful: 2011 Black Nissan Titan Pro-4x
Daily: 2003 Accord EX-L Coupe
Hers: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

AVS has cost me quite a bit of money over the years. Pioneer's hand was forced in my opinion. For some reason, the LCD marketing machine prevailed and most people think LCD is the safe choice. It's amazing hearing people at best buy still concerned about burn-in, power consumption and life cycle of plasma sets.

Panny did make some stellar plasmas, but a number of users have complained about boosted brightness after less than 1,000 hours. Apparently black levels have shot through the roof on some sets. Of course this happens right as panny is catching up to the Kuro level. Now, there aren't really any plasmas I'd feel comfortable recommending. That makes buying a tv at this time a bit trickier.

Transformers is excellent on BR. Transformers 2 is far less impressive (from an audio standpoint, not to mention the movie kind of sucks). If you find a way to get your hands on a copy of transformers and listen to the Dolby THD track you'll be amazed. If only you lived closer to me, I'd let you borrow movies anytime...

The shop I have done business with had a demo room with Paradigm Reference Signature series speakers (including 2! Signature Servos). I wanted to get a job there just to be able to watch movies after close. Amazing sounding speakers, but then again, I've never really compared to anything else in that price range.

And, PoorManQ, he's already got a sub. Having two would probably be pointless at this time.

PoorManQ45

AppleBonker wrote:And, PoorManQ, he's already got a sub. Having two would probably be pointless at this time.
I recommended a bass shaker. It's not a normal "sub". It basically is a motor structure with no cone attached to it. It hard mounts to your seats and shakes the seat in sync with the bass.

It is quite an amazing feeling.

BTW: 110+dB at 18hz is my reference point for a regular sub. The bass shakers are add a nice kick that air motion just can't produce. Added bonus, that don't make any sound to annoy neighbors

AppleBonker

PoorManQ45 wrote:I recommended a bass shaker.
My mistake. Simply misread your previous post...

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

I don't think I'll ever get to pump up to 110dB at my house right now...

PoorManQ45

marlin29311 wrote:I don't think I'll ever get to pump up to 110dB at my house right now...
Hehe, that's not much. Try 115~120 at ~10hz. The neighbors wouldn't be able to locate where it's coming from.

That would be awesome. Everything just shakes off the walls. Those frequencies are close to earthquake. They'll scare the crap out of people

AppleBonker

I can hit that in my car! But my apartment is a whole different story. Also, my sub can't dip effectively to 10 Hz. If only I had that signature servo I mentioned...

PoorManQ45

AppleBonker wrote:I can hit that in my car! But my apartment is a whole different story. Also, my sub can't dip effectively to 10 Hz. If only I had that signature servo I mentioned...
I can hit that in my house

Cars are easy with the ridiculous cabin gain. I've seen 130+ out of a single 12 in an s10... Nothing special.

Servo is not required. Just a buttload of air space. A pair of 18s, each in a 20ft^3 tuned to ~12 ought to get you pretty close

AppleBonker

PoorMan, that would definitely be overkill in my current residence.

Marlin, I forgot to mention you might want to check out bluejeanscable in addition to monoprice. I know you've got speaker wire covered, but I'm referring to future HDMI/DVI/etc needs. I haven't check prices too closely lately, but I think they are comparable to monoprice. I haven't bought cables in a while (stocked up a while back), but the last time I purchased from BJC because the response from Kurt to Monster over a threatened lawsuit. Ever since that I have supported BJC almost exclusively as a thank you for the amusement.

PoorManQ45

Meritline is cheaper then bluejeancables.

AppleBonker

PoorManQ45 wrote:Meritline is cheaper then bluejeancables.
May very well be true, but the cost difference probably isn't substantial. I only buy from blue jeans because the owner seems like a cool guy. That makes me more likely to go out of my way to support them, even if it costs me a few extra dollars.

marlin29311

AppleBonker wrote:PoorMan, that would definitely be overkill in my current residence.

Marlin, I forgot to mention you might want to check out bluejeanscable in addition to monoprice. I know you've got speaker wire covered, but I'm referring to future HDMI/DVI/etc needs. I haven't check prices too closely lately, but I think they are comparable to monoprice. I haven't bought cables in a while (stocked up a while back), but the last time I purchased from BJC because the response from Kurt to Monster over a threatened lawsuit. Ever since that I have supported BJC almost exclusively as a thank you for the amusement.
LOL. That's awesome.

I may just have to by from BJC/Tartan in the future. I wish they sold speaker wire, but they don't from what I see, so I'll still have to go to monoprice for that.

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

AppleBonker wrote:PoorMan, that would definitely be overkill in my current residence.

Ha, I had not seen that before.

I have not bought anything from Blue Jeans, but Monoprice has seen some business from me; XLR's, RCA's, toslinks, HDMI's, but no speaker wire.

marlin29311

marlin29311 wrote:
LOL. That's awesome.

I may just have to by from BJC/Tartan in the future. I wish they sold speaker wire, but they don't from what I see, so I'll still have to go to monoprice for that.
I take my comment back, BJC has speaker wire, but it's more expensive and thicker than I want/need. You can get 14ga from monoprice for $.16 a foot.

PoorManQ45

How much is shipping from BJC?

I usually just get 14awg from the automotive section in walmart. For 50ft it is ~$12.

Return to “Around the House”