Looking for some carb advice

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
72Daphne
Car: 1972 Datsun 510 2-door

New to the forum, just picked up a 510 a few weeks ago. It was sitting for several years when I bought it and I had to clean out the carb and gas tank to get her started. She runs now but not great and needs a carb rebuild. The stock Hitachi carb is on there currently so I was trying to decide if I should simply rebuild it or upgrade. Reading across several forums it seemed that Weber carbs are a popular upgrade. What would you guys recommend? I don't want to spend a lot on a new carb ($300 max) but would like to know if the upgrade to Weber is worth it over the stock Hitachi?

One carb I found:
http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/product_p/wk663.htm

Any recommendations are welcome!

noramost
Car: 72 510 Wagon, 73 240Z, 92 D21, 97 Pathfinder

I like the Hitachi, you can trick it out, cut a coil off the secondary diaphragm spring, adjust the secondary lock out tab so they can start to open at least by 1/2 throttle and be sure to use the two 6MM bolt in front of the air cleaner or the bowel will come loose from the base. Last but not least, grab the gas peddle and bend it up towarde the drivers seet at least an inch so you can get full trrottle.

John

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”