Looking for R32 in U.S 4 sale.

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
Und3rprshUr
Car: My 300Z

If you know of one or any info please let me know as im totally interested in one.

nlzmo400r
Car: cars

legally gotta go through motorex, try searching as this has been discussed many times in the past, most people seem to think they can get around motorex, but there isnt any other way, torry (EZCHEESE15) has discussed this countless times, i believe a member here recently flew to japan, boutght his for like 8k and shipped it back, although i dont know about his legalization process

SmithSR
Car: 240sx

Doesn't MotoRex have an R32 GT-R IN STOCK, or so their website says...

I wonder how often they update the site...? Or bring in new stock..? These would be cool factoids to have.

nlzmo400r

im sure they do, being the biggest (and probably only %1oo legal) importer of skylines into the u.s, im sure they keep them in stock, the only r32 GTR they have now is a blue one for 34k, which is a good price to me, but i asure u they update their site often

surferbrat72
Car: i like to surf and golf and am growing a liking to paintball

the legalization fees is what kills you because you have to go through motorex and they just flat rip you off so im saying that the best thing to do is to move to a country where you dont have to have the cars legalized... but where else can you get the glory for having one of the few skylines in the country being that the countries that have no legalization laws tons of people have skylines so i guess if you think about it, it would be wort it to legalize through motorex

GatorS14
Car: 93/s13/white,96/s14/crashed...ask about parts

Is it possible for "me and you" make a car legal?

Or does motorex have a monopoly?

Surely,they cannot be the only people in america that can put some ristrictors on a car and get it notorized and legaly tested and say "this car is legal"

or am i dumb. I live in florida and seems like if you could somehow get it regesterd and insured it wouldn't matter.I see dune buggys on the streets with tags and i know they dont have vin#'s.

surferbrat72
Car: i like to surf and golf and am growing a liking to paintball

honestly i dont know i think for the most part they have the monopoly but what do i know i think if you play your cards right you can get it legalized without going through them but once again i say i dont know... so i would want to do a little research on that and ask around for your answer and that is pretty much all i can tell you right now

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

I'm about 99.9999% sure Mike is aware the car must come through Motorex. I think he was asking if anybody knew of any that were for sale (that are already legalized)....as in private sellers who bought *their* cars through motorex.

nlzmo400r

thtas the only way i would do it, that way i wouldnt have to go through all the legal crap myself

GatorS14

so does anyone know anyone that has went through the"legal hassel"?

because what if the hassel we hear of if stuff we could take care of through dmv and title & tag place.probly could save alot of money if someone was educated in the legal way of getting a car on the road.

Knowledge is power,and i need input.maybe rival motorex

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

GatorS14 wrote:so does anyone know anyone that has went through the"legal hassel"?

because what if the hassel we hear of if stuff we could take care of through dmv and title & tag place.probly could save alot of money if someone was educated in the legal way of getting a car on the road.

Knowledge is power,and i need input.maybe rival motorex

When legalizing a car like the Skyline, you have a lot more worries than the DMV. That has nothing to do with it. DMV is a local level government issue. Legalizing a skyline is a federal issue. You have to deal with the EPA and DOT.

Nobody has "gone through the 'legal hassel' of legalizing a skyline" themselves, other than Motorex. It's not that it's a hassle, it's that it costs LOTS of money to do.

Motorex gets charged roughly $5000 PER car just in paperwork. That doesn't count the hours of labor put into the cars to conform them to US requirements.

You could say Motorex has a monopoly on importing skylines, but you aren't going to be able to fight that in court. They do NOT have a monopoly on importing cars (just skylines). And there is nothing stopping another company from doing it either. It's just nobody wants to go through the hassle of doing it (and the money).

Even if you think the $25k Motorex charges to legalize an R34 is outrageous, it is still by FAR cheaper than if you were to go about the whole process yourself.

I admit Motorex is expensive and absurd, but I don't blame them. They are making money off of a market that nobody else is. Why not charge a ton of money? It's not like people aren't paying it. Even though you may not know of anybody personally who owns one, they are still selling. Some people *do* have the money, and there ARE legal skylines on the U.S. roads. Why on earth would motorex lessen their prices? I bet if they lowered their prices a little, they wouldn't sell more cars. The people that complain about this are the people who couldn't afford one anyway, even if they were cheaper.

GatorS14

EZcheese15 wrote:
Nobody has "gone through the 'legal hassel' of legalizing a skyline" themselves, other than Motorex. It's not that it's a hassle, it's that it costs LOTS of money to do.

If nobody has ever did it(besides motorex) then how do we know it costs alot of money?

Where did you get $5k figures that motorex gets charged for paperwork?

I'm sure the EPA & DOT wouldn't keep importing information from someone that wanted to go through the process.

motorex is a buisness if they didn't make money off of legalizing these cars they wouldn't do it.I'm willing to bet it is a hard process to get it legalized.I'm also willing to bet If someone wanted to do the paperwork and the modifacations they could save alot of money.How much money?we don't know because we take motorex's word that it is alot.

ANALOGY:I'm thinking motorex is like a turbo kit it ,comes ready to bolt on.Getting it legal yourself is like fabricating your own turbo setup ,takes work ,but if you know what you are doing you save money.

As far as I know a monopoly isn't illegal.So I'm not sure of what you meant by fighting in court.

What my whole point is:If all we know is what motorex says and nobody ever checks it out for themselves.all we will know is what motorex tells us.

motorex might be the easiest way to import.motorex is not the only way to import.

op.tic

is it just me or has anyone heard the insurance on skylines in the us? and who insures these?i know in oz its like 700 (usd) a month and luxury tax

GatorS14

I'm sure it would be a pretty penny.Do you think If someone had a r32 and switched all the vin's on the car with an (already insured) old 240sx' vin's and maybe one badge.do you think the cops would find out?

Isn't there some po'lice on the board?

op.tic

GatorS14 wrote:I'm sure it would be a pretty penny.Do you think If someone had a r32 and switched all the vin's on the car with an (already insured) old 240sx' vin's and maybe one badge.do you think the cops would find out?

i dont know.. but there was a thread about this allready, and it does seem possible, even though the engine would still be illegal, you could just say that you have a 240 coupe with wide fenders, different headlamps, and taillamps.. i guess more people would be willing to do this if someone went ahead and tried it

sideshow
Car: obsessed with cars.

everyone talks about swapping vins for a skyline rite? well y go through all that trouble when the only time someone that could shut down ur skyline dreams is during an inspection. wouldnt an r33 skyline look like a 95-96 240 to someone who didnt know any different? well just register it and insure it as an s14, and when inspection time comes along make friends with someone who works at a garage, and they slip you an inspection sticker for 50 bux, sure some places might videotape inspections (i think in ny they do but im not sure) and if they check the random ones how hard is it to have ur friend "misplace" a tape. i dont know if im just being naive, or not understanding what other people are saying. and if ur worried about cops pulling people over, u just dont give them a reason to pull u over. sure rhd is different but not illegal and if they have to look under ur hood, tell them you are in a hurry to get home to your pregnant wife that could go into labor soon or somethin. dont flame me, i dont kno if this has been brought up before, and i know swapping vins is illegal but so isnt rb's and sr's in 240's and people dont seem to worry about that much.

GatorS14

in florida we don't have any type of inspections.the insurance people don't even look at your car when they insure it.

the only thing in florida you would have to worry about is getting a cop who actually knows the difference between a skyline and a 240sx.So it just depends on where you are.

you would also have to be worried about being involved in an accident.even if it isnt your fault you're gonna want to get your vehichle appraised (or no money to fix it).The appraiser probly has senn alot of cars and will more than likely know whats up.And no matter how good a driver you are you can not avoid some hitting you ,when you are at complete stop and cars are all around you.

nlzmo400r

basically all of these little ways to get around it wont work for very long, its just not that simple, theres always going to be that one cop that knows what a skyline is, or that one time you will be caught during inspection, or if someone runs into you and insurance finds out somehow, in the long run, you're sure to be busted

GatorS14

damn the long arm of the law

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

I still think it can be done if you can get it registered as a kit car. If you can show a bunch of reciepts that will prove that like 75%(not sure if that's correct) of the car was from separately purchased parts, then you will be exempt from EPA and other stupid organization laws. Of course, you might need to know someone who owns a shop or spends a lot of money on their car to have some proof (albeit false). It will be registered legally, but I have no idea as far as insurance....most likely be cheaper that way.

Somebody correct me if I'm totally off here or if you know the exact process of registering a kit car.

Because let's not kid ourselves....almost nobody knows what a Skyline is and you can always say you started with a 240sx body and stripped it completely. If you live in a state like KY (which I do) they won't care and won't have a clue what a 240sx is either.

nlzmo400r

people have registered them as 'show' cars, or something like that and are limited to like 4k miles a year, but i dunno about anyother way

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

I wrote about my experience at Motorex today. Check it out:

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....31781

nlzmo400r

awesome story daedalus, thanks for sharing, i wouldnt mind having a skyline myself, of course my financial means are far from that right now

cnichols

Does nobody have any input on the kit car idea? I think it could work....does anyone know for sure?

Sami

cnichols wrote:Does nobody have any input on the kit car idea? I think it could work....does anyone know for sure?
Been discussed, do a search in FreshAlloy. In a nutshell: doesn't work.

nlzmo400r

it does work, but only to a certain extent

cnichols

Explain in more detail....where is there a problem?

Sami

cnichols wrote:Explain in more detail....where is there a problem?
I believe that is has to be an actual kit car. A Nissan body with a Nissan engine wouldn't do. Even if you put something else in the engine bay, the rules would determine it to be a Skyline still. My understading is it would have to be a totally different car from a Skyline to be eligible for kit car. Don't take my word for it as I haven't really taken the time to look into it, this is only what I've heard discussed.

cnichols

Makes perfect sense, but what I was getting at was that they won't know that it is a real car. Skyline's, never being produced in America, are not recognizable to many people. Therefore, they don't have to know that you made a car that was actually in production somewhere. You could tell them you hand beat all the panels and are a metal forming master and they wouldn't have a f-ing clue. I AM in Kentucky remember.

Sami

cnichols wrote:Makes perfect sense, but what I was getting at was that they won't know that it is a real car. Skyline's, never being produced in America, are not recognizable to many people.

Oh, you'd be suprised how many know what they are. Those who don't play Gran Turismo, know it from racing. I've heard a 5 year old say "Mommy, there's a Skyline" and the reply was "Oh my god, where?"

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”