Looking for mod ideas...suggestions?

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
Sarcastik
Car: 1995 Infiniti J30 (SOLD)
2008 Infiniti G37s

I'm one of those cats who HAS to do something to their car every couple months or I will get bored of it and try to toss it for something different (It sucks to be meeeee....) Anyway, I need ya'll to post up some of your mods or tight mods you've seen for the J30 so I can rip them off an use the idea on my car. Here are some of the mods I already have you can feel free to steal. Oh yea, I am not into engine mods I am mainly into stuff that noticeably changes the look of the car SHOWOFF chea!!!

My Majors Are-Painting the amber on tailights and sidemarkers red (everyone should do this this is the way it should have been from the start!) cheap and easy-Red calipers - worked well on my car, but depends on the rims you got and your overall color scheme-custom grill - not everyone here was feeling it, but I get crazy compliments I think it just looks better in person-tvs/system/audio - no brainer-black wheels on a black car really worked out well

THINKING ABOUT-Thinking about bigger black wheels, but thats pricey-Suspension Mods: I don't have a bunch of money and I don't want to **** up my suspension for something that hardly anyone has gotten right, but if someone knows an easy way then I would loved to hear it.

Any other suggestions???

Big Tone
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30

I would suggest an upgrade to 18" or 20" rims. I have 18s and some days I think I should have gotten the 20s, but I was afraid the ride would be too rough and wasn't sure how they would look. It just depends, though. Some 20s look good on the J and some look too big. I might have the car lowered in the spring.

I bought my rims with tires already mounted for $800 (shipping included) or so from a guy out in Miami. He has a shop on eBay, but will sell direct to you to save a couple bucks. His site is http://www.bestwheel.com. Real professional people. Shipping was fast and I had no problems with them whatsoever. I have hyper white aluminum instead of chrome because of the price savings. They don't attract as much attention as chrome, but look just as nice if you ask me. Here's a pic of mine:

I also see you have the flip-out DVD player. I like the in-dash units better, myself. They have a cleaner look and don't block the controls. Here's the one I just got:

I'm sure there are more advanced improvements others have done on their cars, but that's what I've done on mine so far. I also added a K&N air filter and plan on adding an automatic start within the next few months.

I was just out in LA right after Christmas and never saw so many J30s in my life! Most were very nice and well taken care of. I'm sure the same probably applies to Oakland. There should be all kinds of inspiration driving around you all the time! I went on the site and noticed you are a Howard grad. Do you keep in touch with anyone on campus? I manage a website (www.eduhwy.com) which is the electronic version of the Education Highway. The magazine focuses on HBCUs. We just put up an article writing contest on the site. Participants have to submit articles on their HBCU or organization. 5 winners will have their articles posted on the site and will receive Usher's In The Mix DVD.

If you know anyone who may be interested, please refer them to the site. Contest participants must register on the site in order to submit their articles and pictures. If you or anyone else has any questions about it, send an e-mail to [email protected] and we'll answer them.

Big Tone

Here's a set he has on his site now that I think are pretty hot:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...photo

They are $899 for the rims, tires, and shipping. I think he charged an extra $25 for the tuner locks, but you probably already have those. When my wheels came they were ready to mount on my car.

Sarcastik
2008 Infiniti G37s

Big Tone wrote:I would suggest an upgrade to 18" or 20" rims. I have 18s and some days I think I should have gotten the 20s, but I was afraid the ride would be too rough and wasn't sure how they would look. It just depends, though. Some 20s look good on the J and some look too big. I might have the car lowered in the spring.

I bought my rims with tires already mounted for $800 (shipping included) or so from a guy out in Miami. He has a shop on eBay, but will sell direct to you to save a couple bucks. His site is http://www.bestwheel.com. Real professional people. Shipping was fast and I had no problems with them whatsoever. I have hyper white aluminum instead of chrome because of the price savings. They don't attract as much attention as chrome, but look just as nice if you ask me. Here's a pic of mine:

I also see you have the flip-out DVD player. I like the in-dash units better, myself. They have a cleaner look and don't block the controls. Here's the one I just got:

I'm sure there are more advanced improvements others have done on their cars, but that's what I've done on mine so far. I also added a K&N air filter and plan on adding an automatic start within the next few months.

I was just out in LA right after Christmas and never saw so many J30s in my life! Most were very nice and well taken care of. I'm sure the same probably applies to Oakland. There should be all kinds of inspiration driving around you all the time! I went on the site and noticed you are a Howard grad. Do you keep in touch with anyone on campus? I manage a website (www.eduhwy.com) which is the electronic version of the Education Highway. The magazine focuses on HBCUs. We just put up an article writing contest on the site. Participants have to submit articles on their HBCU or organization. 5 winners will have their articles posted on the site and will receive Usher's In The Mix DVD.

If you know anyone who may be interested, please refer them to the site. Contest participants must register on the site in order to submit their articles and pictures. If you or anyone else has any questions about it, send an e-mail to [email protected] and we'll answer them.
Yea, those wheels are hot dude and I love your screen. That is definitly the screen I would have wanted. I searched and searched for a 2 din screen on ebay and craigslists, but the cheapest I found was 700-800 bucks and it was some no name company in japan...Lets face it...imma wanna be baller on a budget. I bought the sony screen/dvdplayer/and a sony cd changer in the trunk for $400 installed from some cat off craigslist cause it was his old one and he was an installer. I actually found a panasonic double din screen for like 650, but I sided against switching it out at the time. As far as the rims I definitly wanted 18 or 20s, but once again I have NO MONEY. I paid 525 for my 17s including installation and all that cash under the table from a shop off craigslist. If I upgrade it will be to 19 or 20 cause I don't like the wheel gap, but really I think if I lowered the car it would fix everything. Bottom line I refuse to put anything but black wheels with a chrome lip on my car cause my windows are tinted black with the chrome window accent it looks perfect.

drape123
Car: J30 94, REAL CAI W/POPCHARGER, ECU-Reflash. (the DD) - 95 S14 KA-T Fully built gt35r@28psi when i ge

find a good deal on a twin turbo engine and drop it in! look on ebay! it's like a whole new car! you will have THE ultimate sleeper in your city.i am going to be writing a tutorial on how to do the swap in a few days.
Sarcastik wrote:I'm one of those cats who HAS to do something to their car every couple months or I will get bored of it and try to toss it for something different (It sucks to be meeeee....) Anyway, I need ya'll to post up some of your mods or tight mods you've seen for the J30 so I can rip them off an use the idea on my car. Here are some of the mods I already have you can feel free to steal. Oh yea, I am not into engine mods I am mainly into stuff that noticeably changes the look of the car SHOWOFF chea!!!

My Majors Are-Painting the amber on tailights and sidemarkers red (everyone should do this this is the way it should have been from the start!) cheap and easy-Red calipers - worked well on my car, but depends on the rims you got and your overall color scheme-custom grill - not everyone here was feeling it, but I get crazy compliments I think it just looks better in person-tvs/system/audio - no brainer-black wheels on a black car really worked out well

THINKING ABOUT-Thinking about bigger black wheels, but thats pricey-Suspension Mods: I don't have a bunch of money and I don't want to **** up my suspension for something that hardly anyone has gotten right, but if someone knows an easy way then I would loved to hear it.

Any other suggestions???

Big Tone

I am with you as far as finding a good deal. They are kind of hard to come by in Chicago when it comes to wheels and electronics. You definitely got a GREAT deal on your system and rims. I don't like the gap on mine, either so I probably will have it lowered a bit. Keep in mind when thinking of upgrading that you can sell some of the stuff you have to get the next items you want. Being you got such a huge deal on what you have, you'll at least get back what you paid and might actually make a couple bucks. That's how I got my receiver. I sold the previous one I had along with a couple other old items I no longer had use for and put that towards the purchase of the new one.
Sarcastik wrote:
Yea, those wheels are hot dude and I love your screen. That is definitly the screen I would have wanted. I searched and searched for a 2 din screen on ebay and craigslists, but the cheapest I found was 700-800 bucks and it was some no name company in japan...Lets face it...imma wanna be baller on a budget. I bought the sony screen/dvdplayer/and a sony cd changer in the trunk for $400 installed from some cat off craigslist cause it was his old one and he was an installer. I actually found a panasonic double din screen for like 650, but I sided against switching it out at the time. As far as the rims I definitly wanted 18 or 20s, but once again I have NO MONEY. I paid 525 for my 17s including installation and all that cash under the table from a shop off craigslist. If I upgrade it will be to 19 or 20 cause I don't like the wheel gap, but really I think if I lowered the car it would fix everything. Bottom line I refuse to put anything but black wheels with a chrome lip on my car cause my windows are tinted black with the chrome window accent it looks perfect.

Big Tone

drape123 wrote:find a good deal on a twin turbo engine and drop it in! look on ebay! it's like a whole new car! you will have THE ultimate sleeper in your city.i am going to be writing a tutorial on how to do the swap in a few days.
Now you're talking! I am very interested in how this can be done and how much it would cost. I finally found a great shop by my house whose prices are great. If the price is right I might consider it. That is if I decide to keep my car and not sell it.

Sarcastik
2008 Infiniti G37s

They TT is cool, but I'm not big into engine mods. My car before this was a mercedes 190e so when I first got it it felt like driving a rocket and its definitly fast enough to get where I need to be. To be honest I am very light on pedals when I drive anyway cause I have perfect the method of driving and getting the best gas milage possible. There is a lot to it in terms of style, but the cardinal rule is the more noise your engine is making the more gas you are using.

I think I may look around and see if I can find a good price on some 20s...whats the biggest rim that can fit on the J? One good thing about having 17s (if anything) is that they make my calipers look better cause I saw a lexis that was done up the same way, but his calipers looked hella small in relation to the side of the wheel.

Then I still want to lower it to really get gangsta. Its just hard to sell your rims and then get some new ones 'cause u'd be sittin on bricks until you found something new

brandonjustice93J30

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1

there's an interesting mod for ya, I was looking for a couple replacement parts on E-Bay and ran across that

Big Tone

brandonjustice93J30 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1

there's an interesting mod for ya, I was looking for a couple replacement parts on E-Bay and ran across that
Now that's just tooo much!

brandonjustice93J30

just slightly...I seen that and I was like...ummm..wtf

Big Tone

Are you thinking about doing it?

diamond
Car: Wife's Daily driver is J30 , 58 Cheby Sport Sedan Lowrider is my style .

brandonjustice93J30

Nah. If I was going for all out show, maybe. But not something I'd do to a daily driver. However, I wouldnt mind suicide's in the rear (so the doors opened away from each other and went completely straight out, no upward movement) , but with the door curve. I dont think it would work too well.

diamond

i thought about the doors with a lambo kit on the front.or reversed lambo in back and front..oh ya.we can dream cant we,hehe.just takes money thats all.lol..hey my wife drives it daily to work.lol.just for a bit,lol. i put 40 k on her in one year doing shows and stuff.daily driver.
Modified by diamond at 10:35 PM 3/11/2006

Sarcastik
2008 Infiniti G37s

Beautiful mod list diamond. Its like a grocery store I saved the link so everytime I get bored with my car I can take a look and copy you...Straight up though...how much a rough estimate price for everything to complete the 2.25? I don't want it....I need it. Sitting that low do you hit a lot of stuff or bottom out and ****??? Keep in mind that I am not smart enough to work on the car myself so I will need to order the parts and find someone to install them thanks.

diamond

thanks sar. dont mind my spelling.i forgot how,lol.

local for the springs in seattle.and have alot of time to get the springs made.have to wheight the car each end and whole thing.110 a coil. struts about 130 or so apiece.i think i paid.gitts spring kent wa.touring springs. 35 percent.they trimmed mine to perfection so about 40.rears your on your own,lol.i can make the car feel like its going to skip right off the road.just shivers if you try to push on it.syspensions pretty heavy duty i run on the lowest setting for all the struts.very taught.but smooth,no bounce what so ever.bay areas big enough.try to find a spring maker.even look under semi truck leaf and coil spring makers.the place that made mine also does big trucks and stuff.anything really.like we take mesurments at the shop here but they are made in cananda..good chance they could wind ya something up.to be that stiff tho and that low the spring has to be short.no compressor need,lol.i swear,i hate to say this,but cutting would work.the reason.if you have a stout spring it will have its way with the oem struts.you will bouce like nobodies bussiness,lol.the oem struts are super weak.useless for oem after 50k.but,i wouldnt cut 2.25 cause that puts the wheel 2 fingers from the plastic inside the fender.reliefs above tires so they dont bump it .thats rare for me.not on a road.factory struts and youd be tagging it forsure every turn.lol.or,drive it like a lowrider.lol.tell ya what.any of you seattle people know the turn off I-5 to burien by south center north bound..its a 25 mile an hour corner.done 70 around it pushing over 4200 pounds.can probly do 75 but.maybe another day.i was just checking it out,lol.i got around it with cruise control on 60 and 65.not a squeel.just cutting in baby.god i love mointain driving.car needs different seats to take full advantage.like straped in,lol.side support anyway.i will take a size 32 please.hehe

Modified by diamond at 10:32 PM 3/11/2006

Modified by diamond at 10:34 PM 3/11/2006

Modified by diamond at 10:36 PM 3/11/2006

Modified by diamond at 10:37 PM 3/11/2006

Modified by diamond at 10:38 PM 3/11/2006
Modified by diamond at 10:40 PM 3/11/2006

Sarcastik
2008 Infiniti G37s

Thanks a lot man. I looked in the phone book (online) and found like 5 places in my area like http://www.a1spring.com so I'm going to call them all and see which one wants to lower my car 2.25. I will not need new rims whatsoever cause some dude photochopped my car down two inches onces and it looked sick as ****. I am actually a little scared to see the results cause I know I am about to fall in love with my whip all over again thanks.

diamond

right on.ya,2 should be good..and you already are doing it.but i make sure i do it with the size tire pakage im going to run.like mine are just a little taller.with them there 4 inch clearance under it.plenty for me.alot actually,lol.great enthusiam k+.....you should feel this thing going all out thru the redwood forstt.everytime i drive to cali i come back that way cut over after cresent city just for the drive.i love it. its actually fun to get into and drive.feels great.lol.safe as hell.your one step ahead already,go find a truck gas station or dump and wheigh the car.mine was different.hehe.the rear dont need 2 inch's tho.what i did is set mine on the tires.so even no gap.or hows this..50 for system in back or 1.5 oem.think thats hwat it was.something like that.close.

diamond

why i spell with words out of order trips me out.how do you i that.im wack.lol

just thinkin today on trading j for a numbers matching 66 caprice 398.had one as a kid.always wanted another.man.heads going to crazy on this one.he wants what the j worth.maybe a trade.man,i got some thinkin to do.i showed my wife and she said id buy that for ya.huh.what does that mean exactly.lol.oh my god.now my spinning head really spinning.lol.cheap easy upkeep.perfect for grandpa.it would get sat on the ground with hydrolics.believe that.grandpa rolls hard.

Modified by diamond at 8:57 PM 3/12/2006
Modified by diamond at 8:59 PM 3/12/2006

Sarcastik
2008 Infiniti G37s

Translating your messages is difficult at first, but what you have to say is sooo important to the development of my whip that I read each sentence five times if I have to. Don't sell the J, just let your wife buy you another a second car. Easy fix.

93j30t

have you considered the hid conversion? it looks really cool on the J, that and angel eyes... everyone likes angeleyes!

diamond

naw,im keeping mine hehe.damn i need some money.i just decided to work on my 58.got a couple belairs.i i just figured i may not be able to anything now but im getting parts and worry about assembly later.and im not letting go of my dream.im tired of my pesimistic out look.i need to get happy.focus.hard.but i aint going out like this.if im giving my 58 to my granson his dad going to be helping me.lol.believe that. now if i could just get over this model t garage i got.man.it will only make me stronger,lol.

93j30t

trade in the J if you want that other car so badly... not to be a sorrysort, but we love our cars, but if you were given the option to trade your J in for the car of your past that you loved growing up.... and could afford the upkeep on it... why not? I'd trade my J for a 95-97 240sx auto anyday of the week.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”