Looking for help in installing a mech oil gage on an SD22

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
ibbuckshot
Car: 1983 Datsun 720

Looking for help in installing a mech oil gage on an SD22

Postby ibbuckshot » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:34 pm

Greeting folks,
Years ago I had two Datsun/Nissan pickups. One got sold and the second, a 1983 Datsun 720 with the SD22 five speed got totaled when someone thought they should
pull out in front of me. Anyway, I bought the truck back from the insurance company in order to keep the engine and transmission. I stripped the parts I wanted and
junked the previously totaled truck. The engine and transmission have been living in the back of my shop for about 18 years. I recently bought a 2000 Sonoma extended cab to be the recipient of the SD22 and five speed. I am now finely getting things together to make the thing belch fire and smoke. I hope you folks here on the site may be able to answer what ever questions I might have in bringing this project about. I will need to find out how to post pictures of this build because I think somewhere along the line someone is going to want me to prove this crazy project is moving forward. I am going to be cranking this engine up on a roll around cart soon but wanted to see if anyone could help me locate a plug in the block to install a mech oil gage to insure I am carrying oil pressure before before putting the fuel to it. Any feed back would be appreciated.
Have fun,
buckshot

waynosworld

Re: Looking for help in installing a mech oil gage on an SD22

Postby waynosworld » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:32 pm

I put a "T" in the hole going to the vacuum pump for the power brakes, below is a photo of the "T" and the oil pressure sender for the 720 oil pressure gauge/light.
I also used a sandwich oil filter adapter on my SD25 turbodiesel because that line was already "Tee'd" to supply oil to the turbocharger.
The sandwich adapters are cheap on ebay, I believe this is the type I am using right now except mine has more fitting holes, you need to buy the ones with all the fittings, as I recall you need the 3/4 UNF-16.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Oil-T ... 2077083736
I also made a cart that held my engine that had a radiator on the uprights, cannot find a photo of it complete.
Here is an MG Midget engine running on a stand with oil pressure and water temp gauges.
I have been messing around with these diesel engines for a while now, I have my turbodiesel 720.
And my 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab diesel.
I only come here once a day, mostly in the evening.

ibbuckshot
Car: 1983 Datsun 720

Re: Looking for help in installing a mech oil gage on an SD22

Postby ibbuckshot » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:13 pm

Waynosworld,
Thanks for your help and the pics. Got the oil gauge in and working the other day. I have cranked the engine over for several days just to insure there
is oil throughout the engine prior to fire . I will be putting the fuel to it later today. Thanks again,
Have fun,
buckshot

Return to “Datsun 720”