Looking for head unit recommendations!

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
Ghumo

Hey, I'm looking into head units for my car and wanted one that would work well with the factory speakers and such. If anyone could post suggestions or links it would be much appreciated!

Woodnutz78
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT MT

I picked up an inexpensive Kenwood from Crutchfield shortly after getting my Z last June - media receiver KMM-BT522HD. So far, it seems good enough for me, but I wasn't looking for anything too extravagant. It has the connectivity and outputs that I wanted. I'd also recommend upgrading the factory speakers. I have the factory Bose speakers and highs aren't reproduced very well (I'm sure they were better 27 years ago).

Granted, I don't drive significant distances regularly in the Z, but more times than not, I leave the radio off. Akin to Nolimit's sig, just hearing the car is all the music I need. At least to the point where my amp and 12" sub I had in my former vehicle is still sitting on a shelf.

Regardless, I'd go with Crutchfield for a head unit. Prices are very good, and the free/discounted harness, mounting kit and tech guides make it a no-brainer. Other components, I'd look at Sonicelectronix.

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

If you have the bose system you may be out of luck for just swapping a head unit, the bose speakers are all individually amped and the signal from the factory head unit is unamped thus a standard headunit cant just be installed. You should search the forum for a couple threads that go into detail on this, I don't have all the info readily available. Then you have to find a head unit that would work with the bose system. The other option is to remove the amps and install good speakers and a standard headunit (the bose speakers leave a lot to be desired even when fully operational) you will need to rerun the speaker wires as well because the factory bose wiring is too small for any kind of decent sound.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”