Looking for guidance on upgrading radio

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Sapofeo
Car: 00 Infiniti Q45 AE
93 Toyota MR2 Turbo
03 Ford Excursion V10
14 FiST

Greetings,
I'm the proud new owner of a 2000 Q45 daily traffic driver. I purchased it on impulse not having done any research on the car. I'm new to Nissan and I haven't had a cruiser since my 89 Regal. I absolutely LOVE it. That said...
I've spent the last week casually looking for proper audio guidance for my new cruiser. I've found a surprising lack of information on this topic (or more likely don't know where to look). Since this is my daily driver, I'm looking for a good, clean, rich sound and bluetooth but nothing over the top. I see that GROM makes a device that uses the CD changer input which is what I'm leaning towards. I have no interest in putting a speaker box in the trunk or anything like that. Replacing the head unit seems like it's more trouble than it's worth because of the powered speakers and honestly I think would take away from the aesthetics of dash (this is the only nice car I have and I'd like to keep it that way. the others are real beaters). Has anyone tried to install the head unit from a newer bluetooth enabled vehicle or have some other proven path?

Thanks
Sapo
Nissan Newb

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

:welcome: to NICO!

The GROM adapters look like a solid pre-engineered option. I added a Bluetooth input on my Q recently, and have really enjoyed it. I need to get all of my personal music stored on my phone, but I only drive the Q once or twice a week, so I've just been streaming Pandora or Spotify on it so far.

MowgliCSM
Car: 99 Q45t, 07 S550, 89 Mitsu Mirage Turbo.

A long time ago, when they were new, I put in a Pioneer F90BT navigation unit and has been great since. Having a screen and navigation really updates the dash and is super convenient. Some basic wiring involved but if you are not technical I would have a shop do it. Interfaced no problem with he factory Bose without having to rewire everything. I also changed the boot screen to one with the Infiniti logo to make it look more OEM.

Skibane
Car: 2000 Q45 AE 110K

Have been SERIOUSLY considering yanking the OEM head unit and replacing it with a Joying double-DIN Android unit.

I've had a similar unit in my Frontier for several years, and really miss its versatility when I'm driving my Q.

The ability to run just about any Android app (including MP3 players, navigation programs, WAZE, OBD gauges and tuners, streaming music and podcast services, etc.) is just so nice. If you don't like the way some aspect of your HU works, just download a different app for it!

Naturally, I'd keep the old head unit to re-install if I ever sell The Boat...

Sapofeo
Car: 00 Infiniti Q45 AE
93 Toyota MR2 Turbo
03 Ford Excursion V10
14 FiST

Just for closure, I ended up buying the Grom unit on eBay (waited for a 15% off day) for $115 and installed it in about 30 minutes. After 3 weeks, it's really awesome. I kept the stock look of the car and steering wheel controls. Basically you can skip songs on Pandora/Spotify and the sound is fantastic. The stock audio is more than good enough for my liking. I'd say this is very cost effective way to go.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Thanks for the update!

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”