Looking for advice and general info on buying a used 350z

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
SSRUNU2

Hi guys.

Joined to pick up some info on the 350z.

Thinking hard about purchasing one for my daughters first car. I like the fact that they can be picked up for a reasonable price, and the styling does not look dated. Other than that I know absolutely nothing about them.

The info I am looking for as with other type cars. Are there year models that are more or less desirable than others?
What are the major problems that are seen with these cars. And at what mileage do these problems usually arise?

I am mainly in the market for one with 60k or lower on the clock. Not looking to make a "hot rod" out of it, but also would like to know of any beneficial modifications (small things that are well worth doing).

Thanks guys
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revised title

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

welcome. I have a 2003 350Z that I bought new, and have a child that drives. The Z is a great sports car and I love mine, but I'm not sure it's an ideal choice for a teenager's first car. I'm guessing she' a new driver. The pluses include the styling, responsiveness, reliability, and parts are easy to get. But the negatives include that it's not a great bad weather car, runs on premium gas, not much storage room, and the interior materials are kinda cheap. And while 285-300 hp isn't a lot these days, it can still be a handful for an inexperienced driver. If you're determined to give her a sports car as a first vehicle, I suggest something a bit less powerful, like a Miata, which would also be significantly cheaper to operate/maintain/fix. If you find a clean Nissan 240sx, that might also be a good first car for her, sporty but not considered a sports car (ie cheaper to insure).

A far as the Z itself, you really don't need to do any mods. It's a very nice sports right from the factory. I've only upgraded the brakes on mine, mainly due to doing track days. For ordinary street use, it's a turn key fun car.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”