Looking for a taller rear gear

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Racer-X
Car: 2003 Nissan 350Z JWT Twin Turbo

I am running a twin turbo 2003 350Z 6MT.

I am looking for a taller rear end gear to run in the Silver State Classic Challenge. I have already swapped out my stock 3.53 gear for the 3.35 gear from and automatic Z, but it isn't enough of a drop in rpm at speed. I want to go faster and run out of rpm.

I am looking for at least a 3.2 or lower number to run lower rpm at higher speeds. Ideally, I would like to find perhaps a 2.9 or something in that range so that I can achieve at least 200mph at reasonable engine rpms. I have not been able to find any ring and pinion so far lower (taller) than 3.35.

A guy in another forum says that he swapped out the stock ring and pinion from his 350Z for a 4.038 out of a Nissan Frontier. He thinks a 2.937 gear from a Frontier or Xterra might work (C200).

Does this sound like it could work? Are all of the ring and pinion sets so interchangeable among Nissans?

Thanks in advance!

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

the 350Z uses an R200, I assume the same short snout version that came in all 240sx's, n/a Z32's, and all rwd infiniti's, the gearsets from these are all interchangable, if the 350 uses the same short snout configuration then any of them would be suitable donors

Racer-X
Car: 2003 Nissan 350Z JWT Twin Turbo

evildky wrote:the 350Z uses an R200, I assume the same short snout version that came in all 240sx's, n/a Z32's, and all rwd infiniti's, the gearsets from these are all interchangable, if the 350 uses the same short snout configuration then any of them would be suitable donors
It appears from this link:

http://www.nicoclub.com/Greg/ratios.html

... that the Xterra and Frontier 4.0L A/T 2WD vehicles use the C200. Is the C200 and R200 sufficiently similar that gearing can be interchanged?

It also appears that the 2wd Armadas use 2.937 gearing from an R230. Might this work as well?

Thanks.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

I'm not familiar with the c200 at all, the 200 or 230 designation refers to the inner diameter of the ring gear in this case 200 mm, I'm guessing the "C" would have a differend housing or locate the pinion differently requiring the gears to be cut differently, so I would assume that the "C" gears could not be run int the "R" housing, I'd guess taht seeing as these are 4wd trucks they most likely mount the pintion gear higher for ground clearance, you might be able to swap the entire hosusing but I'd bet the gears will not interchange

as for the r230, I know back int he day some guys would clearance the hosuign of their r180's to fit an r200 carrier, and the pinion gears swapped in just fine, but this was the old 70's and 80's long snout diffs, i would think that the r230 would use a beefier pinior gear, perhaps the fron of the case could be milled to accept the 230 pinion and bearing?

I'd definitley try sticking tot he "R" series of diffs, I just worry that the "C" woudl have differnt pinion angles and perhaps even output and input splining, from the looks of it the armade R230 places the pinion gear more on center most likely due to the size fo the pinion gear needed to achieve such a low gear, I'd tray swapping the entire center section over[IMG]I'm not familiar with the c200 at all, the 200 or 230 designation refers to the inner diameter of the ring gear in this case 200 mm, I'm guessing the "C" would have a differend housing or locate the pinion differently requiring the gears to be cut differently, so I would assume taht the "C" gears could not be run int the "R" housing, I'd guess taht seeing as these are 4wd trucks they most likely mount the pintion gear higher for ground clearance, you might be able to swap the entire hosusing but I'd bet the gears will not interchange

as for the r230, I know back int he day some guys would clearance the hosuign of their r180's to fit an r200 carrier, and the pinion gears swapped in just fine, but this was the old 70's and 80's long snout diffs, i would think that the r230 would use a beefier pinior gear, perhaps the fron of the case could be milled to accept the 230 pinion and bearing?

I'd definitley try sticking tot he "R" series of diffs, I just worry that the "C" woudl have differnt pinion angles and perhaps even output and input splining

from a discussion at hybridz:

(R180 Open Long Nose 280Z) (R200V Vis short Q45) (R230V Vis short 300ZX TT) (R230 Open short Armada)

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”