Looking at getting a 350z

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
metalsyth
Car: 2001 Nissan Altima

I am looking at getting one in about a year or two but I am wondering if there is anything that I need to look at like, I know that they have a common problem with a rough idle.

Also I am wondering how the ride quality is and how the power to weight ratio is (meaning has a quick turn up to get on to an interstate) and one last thing, do they spin really bad in any condition expescially like wet payment or is it more of a driver cause thing?

Thanks in advance for any info.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

metalsyth wrote:I am looking at getting one in about a year or two but I am wondering if there is anything that I need to look at like,

1) I know that they have a common problem with a rough idle. 2)Also I am wondering how the ride quality is and 3)how the power to weight ratio is (meaning has a quick turn up to get on to an interstate) and one last thing, 4)do they spin really bad in any condition expescially like wet payment or is it more of a driver cause thing?
Metalsyth:

Let us know if you at looking at new (05's?) or used, makes a diffirrence.

1) spend some time in the car on the lot while <fully> warmed up and <no> load, no sc no lights, no radio no heater/fan.

And then sit w/ engine idling for a bit to see if the car has the issue it will almost certainly show up then. these can be fixed usally w/ a grounding kit and sometimes something else but it can be a hassle.BUt dont let it be a deal breaker for a good deal, just take it into consideration

2)04's and up ride softer, I hve been using my 04.5 as a GT ( now 18,500 miles in 6 months) and no undue harshness found.

3)Plenty Power ( but not wint all streetraces type power)

4)No they are like any other car.Many owners arent hardcore enthusiasts and dont understand a car delivered with Summer performance tires, needs a tire change before it can be driven safely in the cold,wet traction is also fine if the tire/weather combo is right.I drove my Z all thru winter 04/05 thru some serious snow with no problems.

5)If buying a 03 or 04 check the front tires for tire feathering. This is a problem, that cannot be easily fixed and if you buy used you wont get the freebie tire replacements some dealers have been doing.Execute a slow speed braking on all 03's and 04's.Problems were supposed ot be fixed for 04's but some have been cropping up that have it.

How ever not all 03's have that problem, but if you do observe the problem on a used 03 you are looking at I would consider it a dealbreaker as there is no clear fix out there ( unless the deal is SUPER good in recognition of this problem but it wont be).

Also especially for 03's, check the nissan dealer records for tire feathering ( also called tire roar) problemsif that car had the problems and they attempted the (usually unsuccessful) fixes , it will be found there, even if the car you are looking at, has brand new fronts.

Hope to see you soon as a member of our growing Nico 350Z section.

Fred..

350zQ45a
Car: 350Z, Q45A

I'm going to post a writeup on my thoughts on the Z, but I'll give you a rundown.

I've had mine for two weeks.

The first thing is, you really can't tell if this is the car for you, until you drive it. I drove about 5 other cars before purchasing the Z. I wasn't even thinking of purchasing it, when I saw it sitting at the dealer. I drove it, and bought it.

Make no mistake this is an enthusiasts vehicle. It has no backseat, it is a sports car. While some call it a fat pig at 3,300 pounds, I don't think it's all that heavy, but it feels very very solid. The chasis is very stiff, the steering very heavy and tight. This is a RWD rawkus vehicle. I think of it as the japanese corvette. It's about performance, the interior and other things may suffer as a result, but the drive everytime makes it up for me.

If you ever spoken to someone who has owned one of the original 240s, I bet they have reflected on the memory very positively. There is something right about this car. It's not for everyone. It's not as quiet on the freeway as a luxury car, it's not as nice driving as it could be, but that's what I love about this car.

Everything people don't dislike, I like. This is a balls out sports car. It is quick, handles awesome, and you can suit it to your own individual desires rather it be road racing, autocross, cruising etc.

It has some awesome benefits as wellOn the freeway doing 80 I easily average 26-28 miles per gallon. Even stomping the hell out of it I never see below 20 avg.

It's simply not a car for everyone. Because of its dashing looks people bought it that probably shouldn't have. It's now alling into the enthusiasts hands, and we know what a badass ride this is.

Just like the STI and EVO are suited to certain people, the Z is to.

If you like RWD sports cars with quick ratios that have very stiff chasis and handle razor sharp, I bet you like the Z.

If you want more luxury in your ride check out the G.

IMO nothing beats it for the price. The STI and EVO may be faster, but they are economy cars with much tuning and go fast cars.

The Z is about all around driving experience. What a proper sports car looks and feels like. In the vein of the M3, and the corvette, the Z sits confidently.

PalmerWMD

350ZQ45a:

Excellent Prose.

Fred..

350zQ45a

Fred:

You need to write a huge article on your Blown Z. I want to know everything.

PalmerWMD

Basically its all in my sig..

But I'll do one with pics sometime soon.

Fred..

NISTECH

The Z tire problem in 03 is a successful fix if the tech aligning it does it correctly. The toe MUST be set at 0 no tolorence. If done correctly the problem will not return, It is essencial it gets set like that or it most definitly will return. The problem with it returning is a lazy alignment tech flat rating the job and not getting it dead nuts on.

I dont own one but get to drive them regularly, You asked a question about spin out in these cars , I tried ,in the rain, to kick one out.Took a 90 very aggressivly on wet pavement ,had the VDC on,When I hit the point of no return in most cars The z took over and basically said OH NO YOU DONT, I was in a hard right hand turn, Upon even an ich of slip it applied the R/F brake and took away my throttle for a split second then applied the L/R brake ,released it and gave me my throttle back. This car hooked that turn like I was on rails. The best feture of the Z is that VDC[Vehicle Dynamics Control] It is there to prevent you from hosing up. That system uses a lateral G-force sensor and a Yaw rate sensor[same stuff used in planes] to keep this car up right and straight when driving down the road. The draw back to the system is if its on you cant do any burnouts or off the line hard accel as it cuts the throttle [closes the electronic throttle plate] But thats why theres a switch to turn it off.

metalsyth

Thanks for the response they have been most informative. I have been looking into getting one and was mainly wondering on the problems because every car has their hickups just need to know how bad the hickups can get so I thank you all again for the wonderful info.

Hopefully you all will see me in the 350Z community.

metalsyth

PalmerWMD wrote:Metalsyth:

Let us know if you at looking at new (05's?) or used, makes a diffirrence.
More than likely it will be a 04 or 05 unless I run across a good deal on a 03.

Also Fred I am just wondering how you make a 2004.5?

And last thing what is the difference in the different 350z's you can get like the enthuasiasts (I know about the Track model already) and the Touring?

PalmerWMD

Scott:

Thanks for the input on the tire feathering, folks have often been having the problem for so long and not fixed despite dealers efforts, it seemed unfixable to me.

One member here in Elkton has it ( Chuck) and I am sure he will read your post with interest.

On this note ( and a bit of a hi-jack), do you know what the changes are to the 04's other softening teh suspension as far as chassis is concerned?

And did they soften just shocks or shocks springs? or even bushings? or?

Thanks!

Fred..

NISTECH

Fred I have recieved no information to support that any changes have been made to the suspension. Nor have i seen and physical differences between any of the 3 yrs. The o5 to me still rides like a truck [best way I can put it] The car handles awesome and holds the road great so the rough ride to me is expected.I am sure there have been subtle changes to it that i am not aware of as I find many times I hear info on here before Nissan sends us info.

NISTECH

Oh I do know they stepped up the tire side wall on the more luxury ones like the touring edition. This has softened the ride a bit.

jEzTeR
Car: 07 FX35 - 02 Altima 3.5se - 93 240sx Hatch

metalsyth wrote:And last thing what is the difference in the different 350z's you can get like the enthuasiasts (I know about the Track model already) and the Touring?
Check out the Nissan USA website. There you can build your own 350z. It's a great place to get all the details of each version of the 350z.

IMO: the Enthusiast is the best bang for the buck. However, depending on what you want out of the car could make the difference. (anniversary edition = instant collector car and the Track = Brembos and better wheels)

SHIEF

jezter: Is your car an Enthusiast or Touring? I plan on buying a Z33 myself in a month or 2 and can't decide between the two I'm kind if leaning toward the Touring, but I could care less about heated seats/mirrors, leather, or power seats. I just want the wheels and the lip wing from the Touring.

PalmerWMD

Shief: The perforamcne ( level between Enth and Touring) gets upgraded wheels , air pressure monitoring and you can have the aeropackage as an option for not ttoo much money.

Or Get the Enthusiast ( what Jezter and myself drive and belive to be the best avlue of all the trims) w/ Aero package and then uopgarde the wheels.

There is an awesome set of 18 FNo 5 zigens FS right now on Nico parts section , w/ tires.

So if you buy your car w/ stock wheels just wait and watch the nico parts section ( better than ebay ) untl a deal comes along ,or buy a nice set from one of our sponsors.

Fred..

SHIEF

Cool, thanks Fred. I guess Enth is the way to go. Does the Enth come with power seats though? I know it doesn't come with leather. I work at a shop where they sell used cars and get dealer type pricing so I have to tell the used car guy what I'm looking for. The other day a 2003 6-spd brickyard (which I don't like but alot of people like the color) 350Z ran through the auction with 4K for $20,200. Whether it was a Tour, Track, or Enth I dunno. But at that price...

jEzTeR

I love the Brickyard. Too bad they only made that color in 2003.

The Enthusiast does not get power seats.

Just don't get a "Base" (no LSD or HID's) and you will be set!

SHIEF

So the Arro package adds the wing?

PalmerWMD

The Aero package adds rear wing, small rubber front lip ( hard to notice) and underbody diffuser.

SHIEF

Ok, thanks Fred

hatebobbarker
Car: 350z, 240sx(for sale)

jEzTeR wrote:I love the Brickyard. Too bad they only made that color in 2003.

The Enthusiast does not get power seats.

Just don't get a "Base" (no LSD or HID's) and you will be set!
GASP! the base is the best model except for the lack of HIDsI sold my g35 and bought a baseno sticky leatherno traction controlno fril frils!

you can now get the nismo lsd isntalled at purchase, thats all there is to it! base is the best

PalmerWMD

HBB: I also am not opposed ot the Base, but lack of HID's...Love how they work also, chick's dig 'em.

If I ever had to buiy another I would probaly go for one of the 2 extremes, used Base or New 05 TRack (for the brakes and upgraded internals)

Fred..

NISTECH

Fred I think you should have 2. one for R&D of new performance mods.

PalmerWMD

NISTECH wrote:Fred I think you should have 2. one for R&D of new performance mods.
That would be a base then.

Fred..

hatebobbarker
Car: 350z, 240sx(for sale)

i cant wait till the track motor starts popping up on ebay

PalmerWMD

hatebobbarker wrote:i cant wait till the track motor starts popping up on ebay
My thoughst exactly.I wonder how hard to make it fit?Those upgradeed internals could be a cheap alternative to a build-up IMO.

11 lbs pulley here I come?

Fred..

SHIEF

Is the Track engine that much better? Or am I missing something?

jEzTeR

Just better parts inside. seeme like it would be much cheeper to buy the parts and put them in my motor.

I guess it would be real nice to have an extra laying around.

350zQ45a

Plenum cover and TS reflash and you've equaled the extra hp and you don't lose torque.

The 300 is just a selling number, not too mention they came up short at 298..

SHIEF

Like, worth the difference in price better internals? I understand the hp number, but that's easy to attain.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”