Looking at a 510 wagon

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
desertpenguin

Found a 510 wagon for about $800.. Stock engine runs pretty well but.....I'm wondering what can I expect performance wise from a 510 wagon with an sr20det engine? What can I expect if I added dual webers to the stock engine? I've seen a couple on Youtube, but they don't really demonstrate speed. My goal wouldn't be an all out racecar, just a wagon that's a little more fun to drive. Thanks!

510forever

Adding 2 sidedraft carbs in a L16 motor will not do much unless you are going to modify the motor.Then by doing that, you'll spend more. SR motors are very good, smooth and got power.The only thing for the SR are the parts that you can't pick up from anywhere not like the ka motors.Ka motors are pretty much the same as the SR's.Ofcourse if you have SR..you're something different..but when the motor have problems...you'll be spending your time asking and researching but while the Ka's have the book on any auto supply,lot of parts and you can get used parts too.Now everything is on you...your budget how much you willing to spend. 510 cars are fun to drive specially if their's power in it.

desertpenguin

Nice.. thank you! I didn't know about the hard to find parts on the SR..

desertpenguin

Had a look around and cannot find many out there (google, ebay)- not as many as the sr20s I've found anyway. any recommendations? I thought of getting one out of an old 240 and having it rebuilt, but even the old 240s for sale are $1k+ .. is there a better way? thanks!

510forever

Well, you can still find parts on SR but not as cheap as on the ka's.For meI'll stick with the Ka's..and there's a lot of people in L.A. that pretty much knows to work on the ka's.But everything is on you to decide...I do have a wagon also with ka motor and runs good. and I like it.

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”