lookin to upgrade my audio...help needed

Post all your Nissan electronics, car audio and stereo questions here!
j30t

I have a 93 J30t and got a kenwood mp3/cd head unit a while back and now want to get rid of the crap stock speakers. Im lookin at MB Quart and audiobahns. What would you guys reccommend...dont want to spend too much money either. Also, i plan on installing myself and was wondering how hard it is to do? Also, is there any way to power the new speakers from the HU or do i need a 4-ch amp? Thanks

elbles
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX SE Fastback

j30t wrote:I have a 93 J30t and got a kenwood mp3/cd head unit a while back and now want to get rid of the crap stock speakers. Im lookin at MB Quart and audiobahns. What would you guys reccommend...dont want to spend too much money either. Also, i plan on installing myself and was wondering how hard it is to do? Also, is there any way to power the new speakers from the HU or do i need a 4-ch amp? Thanks
Not sure which size speakers the J uses. If it's the Bose setup, I think it's 6.5" all around, but I could be wrong. I'm partial to Infinity and Boston Accoustics speakers myself, but just about anything will sound decent. In terms of power, it depends on how you like to hear your music. ;-) I have one of the newer "high-power" Alpine head units (CDA-7894, IIRC), and it sounds just fine in my 240 with Boston speakers in back. Granted, I also have an amp and sub in back, but that's due to the small 4x6 speakers. I'd go down to a local car audio place, if I were you (bring a CD), and audition some speakers, both powered by the head unit, and by an amp, just to get a feel. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] . . . car stereos are a fun past time for me. ;-)

Woodmister

Does anyone know how to install new speakers? Like removing the amps, etc. and wiring it up...how do you do this?

elbles

Woodmister wrote:Does anyone know how to install new speakers? Like removing the amps, etc. and wiring it up...how do you do this?

Well, I'm guessing by the sounds of the "old amps" that you have a Bose system. Because of the way the Bose system is designed, it's hard to reuse any of it (or replace any 1 part), though there are an increasing number of adapters to allow you to reuse parts of the Bose system. The Bose system in all cars (pretty sure all Bose systems anyway) have the amplifier integrated with the speaker housing, hence a large, heavy speaker enclosure. The best thing you could do is tear the whole thing out, and run new wire to all the speakers. It can be a fairly intensive job, involving removing the carpet to get back to the trunk without any wire showing, but is often worth it.

scruf1986
Car: the car

Well it depends on how clean you really want it and how hard your inerds are to take out. In my 240 their easy. But yes. The Bose system is a pain to mess with. Most pro installers won't even touch them. They say bye new stuff. I do work with an installer that does Bose stuff because for some reason he likes it but I won't touch it. Get new stuff. I fully agree with elbles

elbles

Oh, one more thing. The Bose speakers used in their setups are 1-ohm, whereas most car speakers and amplifiers used aftermarket are designed for 4 ohm loads, which won't work too well when you try to use them with Bose components. :-) The Bose systems rarely sound bad, but they're old, and lacking features. Figure on at least $800 for a decent sounding setup, but trust me, it's worth it. My 240 is a nice portable stereo, with the modest setup inside of it. :-)

gdude45

hello;

i have a '93 J30 and i have been looking at options for upgrading my stereo also. originally, all i wanted to be able to do is to add a couple of tweeters to the current four-speaker setup and bring the stereo up to the same level as the '94 and later J's. i could never find an answer to that question and started to look aftermarket. soon discovered that i would need a complete replacement of the entire stereo system because of all the Bose issues. had decided on friday to purchase a jvc - sh909 head unit and high-end pioneer speakers. took the weekend to think about it and came to the conclusion that i'm just not in the car enough to justify that kind of money. so i'm back to my original premise. does anyone have any thoughts on how i might do that. thanx

scruf1986

Ok there are several concerns about money. Go to a flee market. Most good dealers at a flee market give you life time exchange on head units and they are cheap. There are usually no end arounds and its straight foward. Plus the units are new and not used. I can get a 600 HU for 349. But if I get it at say car toys or mobile one it will cost more than 600. As far as replacing the bose. Its not that expensive. All you need is a head unit and four speakers. Not 800. Maybe 400 depending on what you want.

elbles

It really depends. I suppose $400 could get you a decent head unit and speakers, but whether or not you'd have enough power to drive the speakers at high volumes without distortion is a better question. If you like to listen to your music loud, you'd be well off with an amplifier powering your speakers as opposed to a head unit. That's my opinion anyway, take it for what it's worth. I just like my music loud. ;-)

J30onDubz
Car: CARS and HOTRODS

gdude45 wrote:i have a '93 J30 and i have been looking at options for upgrading my stereo also. originally, all i wanted to be able to do is to add a couple of tweeters to the current four-speaker setup and bring the stereo up to the same level as the '94 and later J's. ...so i'm back to my original premise. does anyone have any thoughts on how i might do that. thanx

I know of a way to add on tweeters. You could simply purchase a line-level converter, which takes the music signal and converts it to RCA outputs. You put this converter in-line BEFORE the BOSE amps. Then, run a set of inexpensive RCA's to an inexpensive amp, which in-turn sends out a few watts to your add-on tweets. The easiest place to install this line-level converter is in the trunk area underneath the 6x9 BOSE speakers in the rear deck. Go through the wiring diagrams, and figure out which wires to tap into. You can also run your remote amp turn-on from the existing BOSE stereo. All you have to do is test wires for voltage. Pretty easy.Are you sure you really want to go through this amount of work, though, and retain your factory system?? Personally, I do not feel it is worth the work. I did the same thing when I first go the car, and then realized that it made no sense. Gut the system and start over.If you have any questions regarding stereo removal or installation in a J30, just let me know.

ThanksJON

j30t

I have been looking around and have decided to get the infinity kappas. Anyone have any previous experience with these and are they good sounding speakers? I plan on installing this all myself in about 3 weeks or so....could i get your email jon so you could send some detailed instructions on how to do this. Im mainly worried about running the wires under the carpet...dont know how to do that.

scruf1986

The Infinity kappas are the shiznit. Running speaker wire under carpet is fine so long as no copper is showing. AKA it has the rubber around it. Also elbes I do plan on getting an amp. But I just startin from the starting line. Which would be a head unit. The sony just wasn't workin

gdude45

Jon;

thanx for your info. query ... are the head units the same for all years of J30. i'm trying to determine if it is the head unit that allows the install of the tweeters or if they are just wired in place for '94 and above utilizing the same head unit.what do they use for crossovers.also, why are the A/C controls connected to the head unit. what's the deal with that.this car audio stuff is a great unknown for me.

Return to “Nissan Audio / Entertainment / Security”