Lookin' for a used '03 M45 question...

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Schnitz

I have read the first 10 pages of threads in the M45 forum. It seems that a possible problem with the M45 is oil consumption. Is there any way to check this out before purchasing? I read that 'Q45tech' may have posted something on this topic but I have failed to find it using the 'Search' feature. Thanks for any help you can give.

Jesda

The dealer can perform an oil consumption test to see of the oil loss is "within spec"

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Welcome to NICO...

i dont think theres really anyway to check for it when your shopping for a car without driving it... i suppose you could do a compression check but i doubt thatd really get you anywhere.

Please, if the dealer can do such a test, let me know because I dont know if it exists...

Car: FX45 & M45 Sport

My 2003 FX45 with the same power plant had many enigine problems. After 1 & 1/2 years fighting with Comsumer Affairs and Infiniti Tech line and two checks for $2,500 each to keep me quiet, I decided to trade it in for an 06 M45 sport. They refused to replace the FX45 engine. Over a period of 1&1/2 years they tried engine cleaner, replaced the VTC sprockets, short block replacement, and after the previous didnt work their last reply was the engine had carbon deposits which needed engine cleaner again . The engine had severe oil consumption problems and blew out white smoke at times. A few times on startup there was violent engine noise/vibration/banging(metal on metal).I figured I was screwed either way: 1. Get a lawyer and go to court for who knows how long and pay lawyer fees. 2. Trade the FX in and lose money this way. I picked #2 because they had to sell the M45 at invoice and I didnt want to waste time and money in court. I hope Infiniti has resolved their enginering problems with the new 2006 V8's.~117

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Schnitz wrote:I have read the first 10 pages of threads in the M45 forum. It seems that a possible problem with the M45 is oil consumption. Is there any way to check this out before purchasing? I read that 'Q45tech' may have posted something on this topic but I have failed to find it using the 'Search' feature. Thanks for any help you can give.
Welcome to NICO. Sorry I missed this thread earlier!

Q45tech's suggestion is in this thread: zerothread?id=158837. It is not a perfect solution, but might give you some indication of what condition the engine is in.

Z

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

The total redesign of the V8 accomplished a significant published power increase over 40 lb/ft and ~~60 HP from the exact same 4,494cc displacement as the 90-95 engine, abit at a higher rpm.

To accomplish this bump up they had to reduce friction in rings and other components. They reduced engine weight and remove or used up some of the SAFETY found in the old design which could easily go 300,000 miles.

Still to early to evaluate the new engine but lots more of them have been sold [Q45, M45, FX45] so I would expect more complaints but not as many as we are seeing so early. ?????????

BMW also had some serious engine failures in the 01-03 M3 engine 130 examples can be found here:http://members.roadfly.com/jas...ngine

Floating cylinder liners always scare me but I am old school and believe in overbuilding for reliability.

I would assume that any problems are the result of US gasoline and oil quality and a lack of proper breakin.

Just as BMW had serious problems with the NiliSil cylinder coating in their V8 when sold in US vs Europe in 94, 95, and 96.................Sulfur in our fuel did them in fast. ?????????

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”