Look at these control arm brackets, wtf?

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Absolomb

Today I finally got the stripped nuts off of my control arm brackets so I can upgrade to adjustables and look at these brackets. Its like somebody welded them back together or something??? Can anybody tell me what's going on here? Are these even safe to use? Will there be play when I torque the bolts down because now the whole isnt perfectly cylindrical? Both control arms look like this.

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

To me it looks like someone welded over the original hole and re drilled them further out. My guess is to compensate for some camber correction( "fixing a neg camber problem). The original hole should follow the same radius of the larger hump in the first picture.

Personally I would not use them. For proper shear strength; you should have at least 1 hole diameter of of solid steel measured from any edge to the edge of hole. That re-drilled hole is way too close to the edge of the bracket.

Absolomb

itsa300zx wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:25 pm
To me it looks like someone welded over the original hole and re drilled them further out. My guess is to compensate for some camber correction( "fixing a neg camber problem). The original hole should follow the same radius of the larger hump in the first picture.

Personally I would not use them. For proper shear strength; you should have at least 1 hole diameter of of solid steel measured from any edge to the edge of hole. That re-drilled hole is way too close to the edge of the bracket.
edit: nvm found them on z1
I can't find them for sale anywhere, Im gonna have to put them on for now so I can do some work in the rear and the engine and hopefully by the time its ready to go to get aligned I'll have found someone parting a car out.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”