Long term 5 Star Shine update

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
nuQ
Car: 2003 M45.
2009 Dodge Caliber SXT

not sure if they r an advertiser anymore, but,,,,,,

ok,,,it's been almost 2 years since i've used the 5 Star "wax" on my Q and i have to say, if you spend minimal time on keeping your car immaculatly clean,,,,,use the 5 Star. i took it through the self serve wash last weekend and after a high pressure, only water wash, it still looked pretty good (what the average person would consider a "paid for wash and wax by a detailer). but,,,,after getting all the old 5 Star off, i used the whole Zaino protection systen and it's INCREDIBLE!!!! i never knew there were metallic grey flakes in my paint!!!! yes, its very time consuming, and mite take you two days to get to the finiished project,,,but trust me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ITS WORTH IT!!! and the more coats of the Zaino product u put on will make your Q that much better. mine is 15 years old and people still think its a 2000 or 2002 model!!!!! (some even say last year!!! LOL). Literally looks like your paint is wet! Anyway,,,highly recommended! chech out the website... zainobros. com if you really want an incredible shine! trust me,,,i've used them all and Hitman can back me on this (he has too)!!!!

ps---no, i'm not gettin a kickback for any of this,,,just tellin' it like it is! you'll thank me!pps---if anyone wants a bunch of, barely used wax, let me know!!!LOL

pics coming soon!!! (my immaculate 90Q....my true love....., and my 87 bmw 325 is....46k original miles!!!((very fun goin' through the 5 speed manual!) judge for yourself

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

I totally agree with these comments! My experience with Zaino and 5 Star were excellent ... but I will go with Zaino for the next time (after almost four years) because it is half the price effectively.

Z

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Which Zanio products (or kit) did you guys order? I want to try it, but every time I go to their web site I look at the 15 or 20 different little bottles and don't take the time to figure out which ones I need.

Heath

Falkdesigns
Car: 1998 Q45t ~ EXE

I've detailed as freelance jobs over the course of my adult life because I'm so intense on cleaning my own cars and have read, learned, etc. as much about the art as possible. Recently attended a Saturday detail clinic @ Meguiars in Irvine, CA. Basically already knew 95% of what was taught, but did learn some tricks.

Monday, I spent 4 hours on my already immaculate Q (no interior work). Step one: wash / dry. Step two: all upper facing surfaces with Meguiars Mirror Glaze #80 (pro series), and lightly on sides. Step three: all surfaces with Meguiars #82 (swirl free polish). Step four: all surfaces with Meguiars Hand Polish. Step five: all surfaces with Meguiars Gold Class liquid carnuba wax (steps 2,3 & 5 using a Dual Action Polisher). Step six: hand buff entire car (I ONLY use quality microfiber towels, cotton towels are for wheels, door jambs and engine bay only). Result: the deepest, wettest, glossiest my Q has probably ever been in it's life. The #80 and #82 almost completely removed all "spider web" scratches, to the point they are barely perceptible, even using the sun-reference test, the rest of the stuff offers depth of gloss and protection. If I was doing this intense of a job on someones car, I'd charge about $200.

I hit a rubber mud flap at 80 mph with my nice, clean, recently painted front bumper on Saturday, and someone had parked into my front bumper (Jaguar) about 7-8 weeks ago. All marks are totally gone.

szh

Q451990 wrote:Which Zanio products (or kit) did you guys order? I want to try it, but every time I go to their web site I look at the 15 or 20 different little bottles and don't take the time to figure out which ones I need.
This thread in the M35/45 forum is where I answered this question at length!

zerothread?id=130916

Z

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Thanks for the link!!!

Heath

szh

Q451990 wrote:Thanks for the link!!!

Heath
You are welcome. Please post pictures when you get it done!

My old Q45 with Zaino is in the Member's Ride gallery here ... the results were absolutely stunning.

Z

nuQ
2009 Dodge Caliber SXT

the reason i feel that Zaino (and to a lesser extent, 5 Star) are a MUCH better, and cost effective, superior product than ANY wax based system (i.e. Maguiers, Zymol, ect.) is their incredible durability, ability to stay looking shiny for a much longer period, and Zaino's INCREDIBLE, mirror like, wet shine. i live in a town with a cement plant nearby, and after 2 or three days the car is covered in a thin dust of cement powder. if anyone is familiar with this, if left on for any amount of time, will eat through wax in no time. in the past i would spend a whole day putting on a wax based product (top quality carnuba), (and yes, the results would be very good when it was applied) but literally, after 2 to 3 weeks the new shine would be fading. something to do with the cements high alkaline or ph factor. not sure. but the thought of going through that once a month was too much. since Zaino is not a wax, and after using the clay bar, your paint will feel like a new sheef of glass, and the dust, pollen, dirt just does not stick to the paint like it does with wax. a quick spray with a hose or at the self serve car wash, using ONLY water, everything flows right off. this didn't happen when i used wax. the 5 Star still looked very good after 2 years, but does not compare to the shine of Zaino. Also when you purchase the kit from Zaino you have many applications (5 Star is a single use), and you can always refresh your shine with another coat of polish or I use their detailing spray after every couple washes (takes 5 min.!). looks like new again. I'll never go back to wax. When I put Zaino on my other car, probably this weekend, I'll post pics of both cars. Hope this helps

nuQ
2009 Dodge Caliber SXT

http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html

car wax test. pretty impressive........................

szh

A great link! Says it all!

Z

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Thanks for all this info guys...I was actually planning to wax the Max this weekend. Now I can make sure I get it right!

I've never really waxed a car before...Any tips for the actual ACT of waxing?

szh

MinisterofDOOM wrote:I've never really waxed a car before...Any tips for the actual ACT of waxing?
The instructions at the Zaino site (assuming that is what you are planning to use) are pretty straightforward. I followed them without any difficulty.

Z

nuQ
2009 Dodge Caliber SXT

nuQ
2009 Dodge Caliber SXT

i would recommend getting the total protection kit for $84. everything you need is in there. i also bought their "grand finale spray" for 19.95---great to use after a quick hosedown to really make it shine and also used their new paint cleaner. applied it after the clay bar and without even applying the other products, my paint looked so good my neighbor thought i was done with the "waxing"!! you can imagine what he thought when i really was done with all the steps! ps---after you apply the first coat of polish mixed with their ZFX, all the other coats go on like cake. the more coats you apply, the more incredible the shine. up to you.

Q_SHIP
Car: 1999 Q45T with a billion miles.

Falkdesigns wrote: Monday, I spent 4 hours on my already immaculate Q (no interior work). Step one: wash / dry. Step two: all upper facing surfaces with Meguiars Mirror Glaze #80 (pro series), and lightly on sides. Step three: all surfaces with Meguiars #82 (swirl free polish). Step four: all surfaces with Meguiars Hand Polish. Step five: all surfaces with Meguiars Gold Class liquid carnuba wax (steps 2,3 & 5 using a Dual Action Polisher). Step six: hand buff entire car (I ONLY use quality microfiber towels, cotton towels are for wheels, door jambs and engine bay only). Result: the deepest, wettest, glossiest my Q has probably ever been in it's life. The #80 and #82 almost completely removed all "spider web" scratches, to the point they are barely perceptible, even using the sun-reference test, the rest of the stuff offers depth of gloss and protection. If I was doing this intense of a job on someones car, I'd charge about $200.
Um, so do you ever drive your Q? Thats just to much for me.

I wash mine and do the wheels. Once or twice a month it gets Rod&Custom wax that gets made by a local guy in my area. Good stuff. Thats about it for me.

nuQ
2009 Dodge Caliber SXT

that is a lot of work to do any more than once, maybe twice a year!!! thats whats great about Zaino, it's so durable with the shine lasting so long, washing it down with only water when it's dirty or dusty, and maybe applying another coat of polish a few times a year will keep the shine looking like brand new. it's not even a contest compared to ANY type of wax!

nuQ
2009 Dodge Caliber SXT

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”