Long list of questions on what has/can do. any new owner pls help

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
starstreak

Alot of this could be answered by going down to the dealer, but just don't have the time at the moment because of Christmas and such.

1) The driver’s seat, is 8-way adjustable. I need to know if for the seat cushion goes up/down on the front end and up/down for the rear, or if the rear raises/lower the whole seat? The GS350 raises/lowers the seat, my old Nissan Maxima raised and lowered the rear seat cushion, which I liked because if the lumbar support was low, I could raise the seat up which would sit me higher up vs moving the whole seat up, which would also raise the seat back with it. 2) The Bose stereo, what is the wattage?3) The Bose stereo, Ipod adapter, will it work with the ipod classic(6th generation video ipod). Will it display video from the ipod?4) Are the outside mirrors power folding?5) Does the steering wheel move away when turning off the car for easier exit from the car?6) Does the Xenon headlights move when turning?7) When driving at night, is the footwells lighted? In the GS350, there’s LED lights that light up the footwell and center console area. Ie: Ambient lighting8) What exactly lights up with “welcome lighting” In the EX? Brochure says 8 lights, which lights?9) Besides the brake lights, does the car use LED lights anywhere else? The GS350 uses LEDs for brakes, center brake, license frame lights, all interior lighting.10) With the Navigation option, is it possible to view video while driving? Either by ipod or the auxiliary inputs? I would want something the kids can watch from the back seats.11) With the 360 view assist, what can you turn on when moving? I wouldn’t mind using the rear/side camera to help with lane changes. Or when in a Drive thru, being able to see around my car while driving so I don’t hit curbs or see how close I am to the car infront or behind me is.12) Also with the 360 assist, can you individually choose what camera to see out of as an optional view? When the car was being shown to me, he could only get the passenger side to show. 13) The center armrest, is it lighted so you can see?14) Does the back have separate vent controls? As in can rear passengers adjust air temp or speed?15) Does the rear windows power all the way down?16) Are all windows one touch power down/up? GS350 I can do that to all windows17) Is the trunk powered open/close? IE: My Sienna will open/close via remote. The GS350 is powered close. I close the trunk down, and a power hook grabs the trunk is locks it down.18) Are the wipers auto rain-sensing to turn on with detection of rain?19) Does it come with homelink?20) Are there any turn indicators on the mirrors?21) Is there anything you have that tells me outside/inside dimentions? This would help is trying to figure out if the child seats will fit in the back.22) What is the turning radius? My GS350 is 36.4ft to turn.23) How good is your gas milage?In almost all the cars I've owned, I've always hit the lowest end of city driving, not because I drive hard, but I live Hawaii and most distances is no more than 25miles one way and most trips aree under 10miles.24) The navigation system. Is it 3d or only top down video? Like looking at a map?25) The navigation system. Can you set it so it always drives "up" on teh screen? IE: the map rotates when you turn, not your car icon.

Mark Booth

1) The driver seat raises/lowers both the front of the seat and the back of the seat independently. The passenger seat (on my model) is the same. The driver's seat has lumbar support the passenger seat does not.2) I cannot find any information on the wattage of the Bose stereo. But I will say it sounds FANTASTIC! Easily, the best-sounding factory system I've ever listened to. 3) The iPod Classic is not specifically listed in the manual as compatible. But I'd be willing to bet it will work just fine. My 5th gen iPod works great, as does my iPhone (as an iPod when plugged into the iPod connector of the EX). Unfortunately, you can't watch Video from ANY iPod. The Video and Photo lists do not even show up on the Infiniti's screen. The Video Podcast lists show up (in Podcasts) but playing a Video Podcast only results in audio, no video. That said, you CAN play video on the Infiniti display via the Composite Video jack in the storage bin. So, it would be possible to use a Video Out Cable with certain iPod models to connect that way.4) Power folding mirrors: No (I suspect these were intentionally avoided due to the camera system.)5) Yes, the steering wheel automatically retracts and moves up and out of the way when you exit the EX. The driver's seat also automatically moves back a bit to allow easier access. Both of those settings can easily be turned on or off via the settings menu on the nav screen.6) Yes, the headlights move when turning IF you get the Luxe Style or Luxe Elite package (the Luxe Elite is exactly the same as the Luxe Style package, plus some extra leather parts in the cabin). With those packages you also get Auto-Leveling headlights.7) I did not notice if the footwells are lighted at night (driving). There is, however, a very small pinpoint light near the moon roof control switch. I suspect it is LED. That little light is pointed down at the center console (around the cup holder area). I can not find that light mentioned anywhere in the manual.8) When you approach the car (with smart key in your pocket), the puddle lamp under the driver's side mirror lights up first. Then, the 8 cabin lights all come on at once. The go from dim to bright (fairly quickly). Once fully bright, the cabin is quite bright from front to rear. The eight lights are: 2 under dash lights, 2 door lights (front two doors), 2 rear passenger lights (on the sides directly above each passenger door) and 2 dome lights. The 2 dome lights serve a dual function. They can be turned on together (by opening the door or by flipping the dome light switch) or they can be turned on independently by simply pressing on them (map lights for each front seat).9) The manual lists the following lights as LED: Stop/Tail/Sidemarker, Puddle Light, High-mounted Stop Light. All of the rest of the lights are listed with a wattage so they aren't LED.10) I have not played any video at all. However, I highly doubt you can play any (through the Composite video jack) while the car is moving. A big safety concern and, I believe, illegal in most states. In fact, there are certain nav screen menu options that are greyed out when the car is moving. For instance, you can only bring up the list of Voice Commands when the car is stopped. Infiniti doesn't want you trying to read a list while you are driving.11) Pressing the Camera button does NOTHING when you are moving above a certain speed. I do not know what the speed threshold is set at but it is slower than 35mph.12) For whatever reason, you can only view the overhead view and right side view on the optional view selection. I guess Infiniti feels you can see the left side of the car just fine by looking out of your driver's window. Side note: There is Infrared Illumination for the front/side view so you can better see a curb, etc, at night.13) No light in the center armrest. But there is that little pinpoint light that shines down that way so you aren't groping around in complete darkness.14) No rear vent controls. Just rear vents.15) Rear windows do not go all the way down. Maybe 1/3 to 1/4 of the window remains exposed.16) Only the front two windows are one-touch up and down. The switches have to be held down (or up) for the rear windows.17) The rear hatch is completely manual.18) The wipers are not auto rain-sensing. However, the intermittent function does have speed-sensing. The intermittent operation varies with vehicle speed. This feature actually works pretty well. I had a chance to try it the very first night I had the car. I can see myself simply flicking the wipers to intermittent when it starts raining and leaving it there until it stops raining. The speed-sensing feature should work pretty well for all but the heaviest downpour.19) Yes, it has Homelink. Three buttons on the rearview mirror.20) No turn indicators on outside mirrors.21) Overall Length (including front plate): 182.3 inches, Overall Width: 70.9 inches, Overall Height (without roof rack): 61.8 inches, Wheelbase: 112.2 inches. Legroom and headroom figures are not given in the manual but they should be included in the brochure (I don't have one).22) Turning radius is not listed in the manual. Again, I would expect to find that in the factory brochure.23) I've put almost 200 miles on the car already. About 65% of that is unencumbered freeway driving, 20% was in stop & go freeway driving and the remaining 15% was city driving. My average Fuel Economy scale is sitting right 22-23mpg. That's exactly what I was hoping to get. I suspect this car will do better than the rated 24mph highway when on a long freeway trip. I expect it to be closer to 26 or 27.24) The Nav Map has a 3D view (Infinity calls it Birdview). In fact, Birdview is the default. The flat (map) view is called Plan View.25) Yes, it can be set so you are always driving toward the top of the map, no matter which way you turn. In fact, that is the default.

Hope that helps!

Mark

Dodgeyaussie

Turning Circle is 34.8ft. 36 ft with AWD

Legroom 44.3 inches front, 28.5 inches rear.

Headroom

without moonroof 40.5 inches front, 38.4 inches rear

with moonroof 38.7 inches front, 37.7 inches rear.

starstreak

Thanks, I was hoping for a smaller turning circle.Did you get teh 18in rims? Are the tires really "only" 225/something? While I understand its no sports car, I guess I got used to the stiky 245/40 18inchers I got now, and 225 seems kinda...Hondaish in size.
Dodgeyaussie wrote:Turning Circle is 34.8ft. 36 ft with AWD

Dodgeyaussie

starstreak wrote:Thanks, I was hoping for a smaller turning circle.Did you get teh 18in rims? Are the tires really "only" 225/something? While I understand its no sports car, I guess I got used to the stiky 245/40 18inchers I got now, and 225 seems kinda...Hondaish in size.
18's in the Luxe Elite Package come with 255/55r18's, othewise they are 225's

starstreak

1) The driver seat raises/lowers both the front of the seat and the back of the seat independently. The passenger seat (on my model) is the same. The driver's seat has lumbar support the passenger seat does not.Ok, so just making sure, the rear part of the seat tilts upwards, it doesn't move the whole seat up?2) I cannot find any information on the wattage of the Bose stereo. But I will say it sounds FANTASTIC! Easily, the best-sounding factory system I've ever listened to. My older Maxima had Bose, it was sweet until I got the Mark Lenvenson in the GS350. It much better. I'm hoping the one in the EX will sound good. Smaller car so the base acustics should better.3) The iPod Classic is not specifically listed in the manual as compatible. But I'd be willing to bet it will work just fine. My 5th gen iPod works great, as does my iPhone (as an iPod when plugged into the iPod connector of the EX). Unfortunately, you can't watch Video from ANY iPod. The Video and Photo lists do not even show up on the Infiniti's screen. The Video Podcast lists show up (in Podcasts) but playing a Video Podcast only results in audio, no video. That said, you CAN play video on the Infiniti display via the Composite Video jack in the storage bin. So, it would be possible to use a Video Out Cable with certain iPod models to connect that way.Now that SUCKS. The dealer said it shows video, not a problem. Did you make sure your 5th gen had the setting (I think there was a setting) to output the picture?5) Yes, the steering wheel automatically retracts and moves up and out of the way when you exit the EX. The driver's seat also automatically moves back a bit to allow easier access. Both of those settings can easily be turned on or off via the settings menu on the nav screen.I love that feature. 7) I did not notice if the footwells are lighted at night (driving). There is, however, a very small pinpoint light near the moon roof control switch. I suspect it is LED. That little light is pointed down at the center console (around the cup holder area). I can not find that light mentioned anywhere in the manual.Cool. I like the LED ambient lighting in GS350, but to use it to "see" its bad. Its not as bright as the normal incadecent(sp?) cabin lights. 10) I have not played any video at all. However, I highly doubt you can play any (through the Composite video jack) while the car is moving. A big safety concern and, I believe, illegal in most states. In fact, there are certain nav screen menu options that are greyed out when the car is moving. For instance, you can only bring up the list of Voice Commands when the car is stopped. Infiniti doesn't want you trying to read a list while you are driving.I was hoping it didn't do that. Theres a MOD for the GS350 to play the DVD while the car is moving. BAD for the driver, good for the kids in the back.11) Pressing the Camera button does NOTHING when you are moving above a certain speed. I do not know what the speed threshold is set at but it is slower than 35mph.So it works in traffic then? Cool. I always wanted to see how close the car behind me was tailgating me without going into reverse first to turn on my reverse camera.12) For whatever reason, you can only view the overhead view and right side view on the optional view selection. I guess Infiniti feels you can see the left side of the car just fine by looking out of your driver's window. Side note: There is Infrared Illumination for the front/side view so you can better see a curb, etc, at night.But I can show front and rear also as a bigger picture? Or do I have to be in reverse gear to see reverse?18) The wipers are not auto rain-sensing. However, the intermittent function does have speed-sensing. The intermittent operation varies with vehicle speed. This feature actually works pretty well. I had a chance to try it the very first night I had the car. I can see myself simply flicking the wipers to intermittent when it starts raining and leaving it there until it stops raining. The speed-sensing feature should work pretty well for all but the heaviest downpour.Nice. I like my GS350 auto-on wipers, but its not a dealbreaker.20) No turn indicators on outside mirrors.I wish they added this.21) Overall Length (including front plate): 182.3 inches, Overall Width: 70.9 inches, Overall Height (without roof rack): 61.8 inches, Wheelbase: 112.2 inches. Legroom and headroom figures are not given in the manual but they should be included in the brochure (I don't have one).Wow, its almost 8in shorter than my GS350. I wonder IF I can get teh car seats in the back seats... Man, how do people with kids buy sentras? lol23) I've put almost 200 miles on the car already. About 65% of that is unencumbered freeway driving, 20% was in stop & go freeway driving and the remaining 15% was city driving. My average Fuel Economy scale is sitting right 22-23mpg. That's exactly what I was hoping to get. I suspect this car will do better than the rated 24mph highway when on a long freeway trip. I expect it to be closer to 26 or 27.I'm gonna die when I start getting 15mpg with this car. Someone once said, if you can afford this car, you should have enough to pay the gas. I don't agree. I want above 20mpg, but something tells me I'm not gonna get even close.

Thanks for the answers!

starstreak

Really? Sweet. Hopefully it'll offer some grip. now if Infiniti will hurry and just post the car up on the home page so I can see different views and such.
Dodgeyaussie wrote:
18's in the Luxe Elite Package come with 255/55r18's, othewise they are 225's

Dodgeyaussie

starstreak wrote:Really? Sweet. Hopefully it'll offer some grip. now if Infiniti will hurry and just post the car up on the home page so I can see different views and such.
http://www.infinitinews.com/

Click on INFINITI, then select EX35, then click on Photo Gallery on the right hand side of the page.

starstreak

Thanks! Nice link. I was hoping to see what the rims looked like. 17 vs 18 etc

starstreak

Oh wait. The home page says teh 18in are P225/55R18. Not 255.

Dodgeyaussie

starstreak wrote:Thanks! Nice link. I was hoping to see what the rims looked like. 17 vs 18 etc
No worries, i'll post some pics tomorrow.

Dodgeyaussie

starstreak wrote:Oh wait. The home page says teh 18in are P225/55R18. Not 255.
Well there is the first misprint in the Brochure. I'll check it out tomorrow when i get to work and report back.

Mark Booth

Tires on my car are 225/55-18.

Seat: Just played with it some more. The seat bottom forward/rear tilt control can be finicky. If you don't lift one end of the control while simultaneously depressing the other end of the control, then the whole seat just goes up and down. In other words, you have to "twist" the entire control lever. So, I guess that means you really aren't lifting/lowering the front and back of the seat independently. My apologies for the error. When I was sitting in the seat, it felt like one was edge was moving while the other was remaining stationary. This time, I stood outside the car and watched what the seat was doing.

iPod: I've tried every possible combination I can think of to try to get Video to play over the iPod cable. And, yes, that includes turning on "TV Mode" in the iPod. It simply isn't happening and the manual mentions nothing about getting video out of the iPod. It only mentions Video Podcasts and how there may be a delay when playing back Video Podcasts. But all I can get to come through is the audio from the Video Podcast.

Camera: No, it does not work in traffic. The speed threshold is BELOW 35mph. I haven't tried it while moving forward at any speed below about 35 so I don't know exactly what the threshold is. For all I know, it won't work moving forward even at 1mph. Yes, you have to be in reverse to get the rear picture as an alternate view. At least, that's my experience so far.

Mark

Dodgeyaussie

I believe the camera cuts out at around 5 mph.

starstreak

Aww. Man, that would've been a cool feature. The only reason why I would buy the EX is that feature. If not, something like a FX is better with the larger rear seats for my kids. Its getting harder and harder to choose.
Dodgeyaussie wrote:I believe the camera cuts out at around 5 mph.

Dodgeyaussie

starstreak wrote:Aww. Man, that would've been a cool feature. The only reason why I would buy the EX is that feature. If not, something like a FX is better with the larger rear seats for my kids. Its getting harder and harder to choose.
Why would you be looking anywhere else but out the window at speeds any faster than that?

starstreak

Lol. No not just for looking around. The whole video thing as a whole. Like not being able to use the video inputs while driving (no back dvd player so have to think what else I can use for the kids. Not gonna buy a rear dvd player. I could do that with my car now.) as for using it while driving, its a gadget thing. As I mentioned it would be usefull while passing for example. Not really at freeway speeds, but like when making a turn on a street. You want to know how much room you have between you and that car the car on your left and the curb on the right as you make that right turn.
Dodgeyaussie wrote:
Why would you be looking anywhere else but out the window at speeds any faster than that?

Dodgeyaussie

Dodgeyaussie wrote:
No worries, i'll post some pics tomorrow.
17's

18's

starstreak

Thanks for the pics! Any chance you have pics of a car with the infiniti body kit? I noticed that was an option for the car. and I think someone here said it was body colored.

Oh I know what else I wanted to ask, what does the LCD show you when driving? If you have the Nav turned off?
Modified by starstreak at 2:21 PM 12/23/2007

Dodgeyaussie

starstreak wrote:Thanks for the pics! Any chance you have pics of a car with the infiniti body kit? I noticed that was an option for the car. and I think someone here said it was body colored.

Oh I know what else I wanted to ask, what does the LCD show you when driving? If you have the Nav turned off?

Modified by starstreak at 2:21 PM 12/23/2007
Like any of the other Infiniti's with Nav, if you don't hit "ok" when it boots up on start up, you will eventually get the "Status" screen detailing HVAC and Audio settings.

starstreak

Ah ok. I never saw it. the one time I went to infiniti, he jumped in and showed me the 360 and that was all. didnt see any of the normal screens.

mikec

FYI the exact replacement size for the 18" tires would be 245/50/18 if you wanted wider ones. I just don't know if it would touch the wheel wells while fully turned.

Toyo is the only company that sells winter tires in Canada 225/55/18. They don't show them on the US site. Dunlop has them in 245/50/18 but they're much more $.

starstreak

Thanks for the info on the tires.

starstreak

I was going to trade in my Lexus GS350 to the EX. Have you ever heard where Infiniti needed to contact my dealer to get a price for my trade-in? I found that strange. I know they have a computer that tells them going rates, etc. Almost took them 2 weeks to get back to me on a price for my trade-in.

Dodgeyaussie

starstreak wrote:I was going to trade in my Lexus GS350 to the EX. Have you ever heard where Infiniti needed to contact my dealer to get a price for my trade-in? I found that strange. I know they have a computer that tells them going rates, etc. Almost took them 2 weeks to get back to me on a price for my trade-in.
Holy ****e... It should take 10 minutes.

starstreak

Needless to say, my car is better than 32k they offered for it. Guess I'll hold off till maybe next year to get the EX. Maybe they should've offered a better deal. Its been two weeks since they got in the 4 and so far 1 sold.

Dodgeyaussie

I guess being the only Infiniti dealership in HI they figure they could get away with that.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”