Log Style vs Equal Lenth Turbo Mani

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
Cyt0teC

I've access to all the equipment I need for fabing a manifold. Trying to gather as much info as possible before I begin.

Making a log style manifold would be simpler than an equal length manifold.

As it appliest to boost, what are the differeneces between them.

It would appear that a log style manifold would not flow as well as equal length? Are there any negative affects from running log style?

thx

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

the only negative effect from running a log manifold would be waste gate problems(where to put it), and the loss of power due to odd distribution of exhaust piping length. idealth, equal length pipes evenly distribute exhaust backpressure and velocity resulting in smoother power and, soemtimes, more power..

god I hope thats right or K is gonna ream me.

-chet

TrunkMonkey
Car: 2000 lincoln navigator

an equal length manifold will scavenge exhaust gases much better than a log style. the result, less lag and more power in the lower rpms.

george
Car: autocross

but they are more prone to cracking, are more expensive, difficult to construct, take up more room in the engine bay, and generate more heat.

Exar-Kun

george wrote:but they are more prone to cracking, are more expensive, difficult to construct, take up more room in the engine bay, and generate more heat.

more prone to cracking? and generate more heat? explain please..

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

Corky Bell says log style is crap and equal-length is the way to go...I'll trust his opinion.

Matthew

Exar-Kun: Cracking: They are more prone to cracking as the length of the piping is obviously longer (duh to me), but companies often use a thinner gauge to create the curved manifolds. The constant vibration from a daily driven car can cause manifolds which havent been braced properly to crack. To check out a sweet EL manifold, look at http://www.full-race.comThey only sell honda manifolds now, but i believe they are working on one for the FWD sr20det.heat: The longer tubing results in a much greater surface area, which allows more heat to dissipate to the engine bay. This also causes a reduction in velocity.

EL manifolds are great if your plan on making big numbers, but is a waste of time on a 5-7psi setup.

Exar-Kun

see, I would figure that most EQ style turbo manifols would be less prone to cracking, simply because the construction is usually of tubular steel with a ceramic coating, wheres as log style is usually a casting which can have weak spots in the casting(grain) of the material, allong with cinosistencies in thickeness, etc...

also, a ceramic coating on the EQ styles removes the problem of greater surface area of the manifold radiating more heat, and Im not so sure about that recuting velocity, considering if a log style had greater velocity it would spool better, but it does not.

-chetIm not, like K, at all authorative about this subject, Im just posting theories..

TrunkMonkey

you're more correct than Mattew is.

most equal length manifolds are stronger than logs. they're usually constructed with better materials. heat isn't that big of a problem since there are tons of coatings and wraps that can be usedQuote »The longer tubing results in a much greater surface area, which allows more heat to dissipate to the engine bay. This also causes a reduction in velocity.[/quote] the tubing's diameter is what affects gas velocities, not length. the smaller the diameter the better.

george

demcj,

lenght of the EL manifold effects gas velocities too. if the manifold is too long the gases accelerate to the speed of sound and create a sort of sonic boom within the manifold. this also contributes to the cracking of the mani and poor spool up of the turbo.

Cyt0teC

Yes! Yes! no we are talking. That's exactly what I need.

Sonic Boom powered Turbo manifold. w/ leds too!

This is going to be a difficult decision, especiall for a guy who has logged a grand total of 0 hours behind a welder Sure I'll have ppl their who can weld far better than I, but satisfaction from a mediocre job done right.

Bare in mind, with .5bar boost goals, how negative will the affects of a log style be?

and..

Any one with experience in making a manifold, is it that much harder to fab an EL manifold?

tks all.

george

yeah it is pretty tough to construct one...but there is more than adaquate space in a s14 engine bay. watch out for those brake resivoirs though. i melts mine with the heat from an equal lenght mani

george

but the spool up from an el from a log is night and day..i mean a el mani and a ball bearin turbo. spool up is amazing you will have boost coming out your ***

Grandpa

Check out this webpage. If you go to sds' tech page on their website, there are great articles for the DIY'er.

http://www.sdsefi.com/techheader.htm

-john

george

nice link

TrunkMonkey

george wrote:demcj,

lenght of the EL manifold effects gas velocities too. if the manifold is too long the gases accelerate to the speed of sound and create a sort of sonic boom within the manifold. this also contributes to the cracking of the mani and poor spool up of the turbo.
i really don't feel like typing tonite, so think about this...

if what your saying is true, then why do tri-y and 4 into 1 headers make so much power?

sonic boom? sheesh!

george

headers dont make power...sorry to tell you they free it up. and if you havent heard of sonic boom in mani design then you have some things to learn. and as for your question there are just too many variables..i need specific set ups.

george

look at the cosworth formula 1 turbo manifolds...note the design. they have unrestricted space constrants and the manis are long and twisty guiding the exhaust gases to maximum velocity. lenght is very much a factor as is diameter and material. these are all contributing factors to optimum mani design. often certain mani designs crack even when made of high quality stainless steel. heat is not the culprit but some thing called sonic boom. it causes violent movement of the exhaust gases which cause the mani to crack.

george

also the 4-1 headers rid the engine of harmful power robbing blow back. like in an turbo mani of log design...there is bow back into the cylinders of exhaust gases and for obvious reasons this causes a reduction in power.

TrunkMonkey

enlighten me on why a 4-1 header doesn't create a "sonic boom".

george

if they are not design properly they will....and the difference between normal headers and turbo manis is the vacum effect imposed on he mani by the turbo.

george

its all about pulse frequency and intensity

TrunkMonkey

george wrote:if they are not design properly they will....and the difference between normal headers and turbo manis is the vacum effect imposed on he mani by the turbo.
turbochargers create a vacuum? how?

george

now i am not sure if you are making fun of me or you are serious?

ADAMHU

turbos impead the exhaust flow..not help it...
george wrote:now i am not sure if you are making fun of me or you are serious?

TrunkMonkey

george wrote:now i am not sure if you are making fun of me or you are serious?
if you've read the above post, then your question has been answered.

george

impead in initially then help it.

george

then past a certain RPM the turbo helps blast the exhaust gases out the tail pipe....ever see a turbo engine run on a dyno? see how much more of a blast from the tail pipe there is on a turbo car than a N/A?

ADAMHU

it impeads it all of the time.....

you are off on a tangent with your logic on this one....

the exahaust gases are coming out fast..cause the engine is moving more air...

george

yeah but the exhaust side of the turbo spins over 100,000 per second that forces gases out quicker and with more force and that in itself helps the gases exit

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”