Line runs down middle of Windshield on my QX4 [SOLVED: Radio Antenna]

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
hybridamp
Car: Audio

I have a 2002 Infiniti Qx4, and it has a line that runs down the middle (vertically) on my WindShield. It looks similar to the brownish-red lines on the rear-window which is the defrost. Any idea what this is?

I bought it used and the dealer had no clue. I tried looking over the manual with no avail...

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

an antenna of some sort???

hybridamp

Yeah, I wondered about that also. I guess it could be for the OEM Keyless entry, like a range extending antenna, something of that sort. But the FM Diversity antenna is done through the power antenna on the front fender (which stopped working by the way. lol. Warranty is a GOOD thing). Its just one of those things that makes me curious, seeing as how its right there in the middle of the window. LOL.

AVERAGE
Car: my car

i know these to compare in no way at all but my 87 b12 gxe has the same line down the front window and it is just an extra antennae. might be something totally different for such a newer car

hybridamp

Hrm, probably is just an antenna. At least I will just tell myself that so I wont be so courious about it. lol

CueEx4

my '97 QX4 has the same thing, and i remember a dealer telling me that it was the FM antenna and your powered mast is for AM.i actually had to replace the windshield once (stupid pebble hit in the corner where i couldn't catch in time to fix :mad: ) and the new windshield came with the same black line - so it must be pretty important for the QX4.try playing around with your radio and you'll hear that FM will come in clearly immeditately after you turn it on, but AM will lag until the mast is up.hope that helps! :pface

~tim

PowerPuff
Car: German cars, sports, music, movies

Audis have this too...at least the older ones do. It's mos def a radio antenna. Not sure why they'd have two, I guess what Cue said makes sense though.

hybridamp

Yeah, I think maybe the one in the windshield is AM though and the power is FM. Because my FM reception is non-existent with the power antenna down. Havent ever tried AM before however....

QX4ME
Car: 02 Infiniti QX4 4WD
11 MB C300 Sports
06 Honda Odyssey

The radio has an FM diversity receptionsystem, which employs two antennas printedon the front window. This system automaticallyswitches to the antenna which is receivingless interference.---------------------------------------------Above is copied from 2002 QX4 owner's manual, page 4-16.I don't see two antennas. If there are two then total would be three antennas including the power retractive antenna.

BTW it's my first time here.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

QX4me:

Welcome to our club and our growing SUV sections!We also have a Infiniti Online Mechanic section you may visit on ocasion as well a general interest Nissan/Infiniti Engineering section, where some real Gurus hang out.

When you get a chance, take a few pictures of your QX and send them to me, or one of our other admins, so we can post them in our members ride section ,which is real short of QX4's right now;)

Fred...:)

hybridamp

Tim, I tried getting a message to you, but anyways, I put those rims you were interested here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...70301

Let me know if interested...

LuvmyQ
Car: Auto Detailing, Excercise & Fitness, Lawn & Gardening, Cars

Hello Fred: I wanted to post some pics of my 00 QX4 but I can't figure out how. Can you help me? Also how do you get those cool images on the left hand side i.e. Infiniti driver?

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

You can have it hosted somewhere and then link the host url by typing the URL and surrounding it by, ....[u.r.l].... in front and .....[/.u.r.l].... in rear.(but skip all the dots, I had to put them there so the software wouldnt try to make it a link).Several members have offered to do hosting for others here, do a search for "hosting" and some are liable to pop up.

As for images called "Avatars" go to your signature section , via "user profile" and the "edit profile".On the bottom it says "Insert Avatar " or some such, there you can pick one from out NICO Avatar pool (most are taken, some taken 2 or 3 times tho) or upload one from your desktop.

Fred...:)

greengumby
Car: 2002 Pathfinder- "ole Rusty"
2006 Honda Pilot

Hey All ,

I was playing around in my 02 .. and the line that I found leads to an extra connector behind the radio , Its a Gps wire.
The wire color is brown.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Hey Greengumby. Noticed you first registered in April, and your first post in July. Cool.
Anyway, welcome aboard.

Now, I hafta say, I think reviving a thread from over 11 years ago must set a new record for our forum.
Nothing wrong with that, as your input is always welcome, but it's still pretty unusual.

BTW, I had my windshield replaced two years ago, and I can honestly tell you that I don't know if I have the line in it or not.
I'll have to go outside and look. You would think I should know.

Geren8509
Car: '98 Infiniti QX4

The line down the windshield is not a radio antenna. You only have one antenna for the radio and its in the fender. The windshield line is an antenna, but it's for the keyless entry. I lost my key fob, got a new windshield, and safelite made me wait 3 extra days because he says, oh you dont have a key fob? I said no, why? He says well this is the wrong windshield, we have to get you one without antenna. I didnt understand until i picked up my car that it was for the key fob. I told him i need to buy a key fob, and that i do use one, but i lost mine. My experience with safelight was not good. Haha. Cheers!

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Geren8509 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:22 am
My experience with safelight was not good.
It gets worse. The Safelight rep was wrong. The antenna in your windshield has nothing to do with your keyless entry system. Like my Pathfinder, your QX4 windshield antenna is an audio antenna and part of the dual diversity antenna system for your original stereo head unit. Nissan/Infiniti, as well as some other makes, employed this type of stereo system to improve audio reception. For your QX4 specifically, you can see for yourself on page EL-128 of the '98 QX4 factory service manual just how it is wired directly to your original stereo system, not for keyless entry. >> https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 8%2Fel.pdf

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Buzzman wrote:
Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:36 pm
Now, I hafta say, I think reviving a thread from over 11 years ago must set a new record for our forum.
Nothing wrong with that, as your input is always welcome, but it's still pretty unusual.
Give it another 7 to 11 years and a new posting on this subject will pop up again. It's a classic mystery topic.

sroberts
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD

I love this classic forum software! So many times in other forums I see flatly wrong answers to questions, in closed threads that are highly ranked by search engines.

It took 11 years, but greengumby had the right answer, on a 2002 model it is (was) the GPS antenna.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

sroberts wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:21 pm
It took 11 years, but greengumby had the right answer, on a 2002 model it is (was) the GPS antenna.
Nice theory but dead wrong. Md was correct as usual. The top diagram is from the Audio section of the SM (EL-209) showing the dual antenna setup, the bottom is from DPC showing the GPS Antenna. The latter is a chip-type located at the base of the windshield.

02 QX4 EL-209.png
02 QX4 Navi.png

sroberts
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD

Cool, good thing the thread is still open!

EdBwoy

sroberts wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:45 pm
Cool, good thing the thread is still open!
Yes indeed!

I have never been a fan of closing threads merely due to some arbitrary age. And even when new forum members bump up old threads, I have always welcomed it.

A forum, unlike the trendy nature of social media, is a repository of information that we should be open to review/correct/reinforce whenever we get new insights.
I think this discussion is a perfect example of that.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”