like to know the difference in the 2

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
givengift
Car: 93 240sx ka24de bolt ons

hi I'm in the market to buy a 350z or g35 coupe. From what i can tell they are both running the same price range for comparable mileage damage ect... is there any true advantage of one over the other besides personal taste in looks? I know the guts of these cars i.e. engine tranny rear end is the same. any input would be great and if its not to much to ask has anyone owned both of these if so which one did you like better?

givengift

and yes i know there is plenty of comparisons all over the net but i would prefer an owner thats owned it for years how have they held up? almost all comparisons are about bone stock new to bone stock new. shove a gun to my head but my humble opinion is yes same motor tranny...... but infinity is the higher brand so id go to guess it had more R&D test time into fine tuning. both cars at 100kmi same mods same driver which one breaks first?

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

I've owned both, though the Infiniti was a sedan rather than a coupe. I did have occasion to rent an Altima coupe. A major day to day difference would be the size of the doors and ease of entry/exit necessitated by the need for access to the rear seat. This is something that could be verified on the dealers lot. Also check out the ease of getting into/out of the seats with the side bolsters.

If you drive the twisties a lot, the Z would give you more satisfaction. If you have occasion to carry more than one passenger, the G gets the nod. The G suspension is tuned for a comfortable ride while the Z is performance tuned. As you realize already, the Z weighs in about the same and acceleration is comparable.

If you want to customize the drive train or body, get the Z.
If you want a car that will put a smile on your face commuting, get the G.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Do you need a backseat? How much is your insurance? For me, I'm a Z guy, the G is a compromise, still a great car just no t a "Z". G is a bit heavier, damn good looking car still IMHO just not a "Z". If however your insurance rates aren't great you might find the G cheaper to insure and if you like hauling multiple passengers, or have kids the G might be your only choice.

givengift

well im a true "z" guy at heart but as im getting older and family is growing i was making sure a "Z" person will feel just at home in the G. I really dont need the backseat as this car will not be a daily but a weekend cruiser/ warrior but at the same time a trip up river road with the fam isnt to bad of an idea and i dont have that option in the "Z".as far as suspension goes i dont care what either one is rocking stock i always switch to after market coils. AS far as insurance im a married 30yo with kids and a home owner with no claims in the past 10yrs so my insurance would probably make you sick to hear.lol my 95 300zx tt cost $36 a month for full coverage with aftermarket coverage up to $15k. i know im a little difficult here but im just looking for a more friendly toy

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

If you have a family and want to be able to haul them the G might be the better choice for you. Me I'm single, 40, homeowner, no ticks on record and no at fault accidents in about 20 years. I'm surprised at how much insurance is for my Z, of course I live in the city which is a high rate zone in a high rate state. I even pay my premiums in full to get the extra discount still about $100 a month for full coverage, nearly twice what my miata cost and nearly what my truck costs.

givengift

ok so pretty well set on the G is any year better then another? i know i dont want anything pre 2005 due to all the issues ive heard of the earlier models. might also jump to the G37 instead but still not sure if its worth the extra 5k-8k jump in price

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

I believe the 2006 G35 coupes have the RevUp motor which has a history of excess oil consumption, the one in my 35th Anniversary is great and now only sips a little at 178K miles. I'm not exactly sure which years the G had it. If you can you might want to avoid those years.

cincysilvias14
Car: 2008 350z touring
2004 350z enthusiast

sorry to bring this back to life but the g ways more than a z but has the back seat (if youre like me cant use it anyways) plus the g series coupe never got the hr motor (20 hp 2 throttle bodies but i believe lower compression vs the de/de revup) i agree the g is a sexy car but still not a z. if im not mistaken the g is also longer.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Well, I am a little late to the party but I will give my 2 cents.

The way I explain the G35 Coupe to people usually is this:
Its a 350Z as a 2+2 with heated leather seats a higher equipment level but also a couple hundred lbs heavier.

Interestingly even though the G35C cost significantly more, if you book out same year G35C vs same year Z with same equipment ( meaning a Touring) you will find the Z books higher by about $1.5k.

I was just put shopping and was originally looking for a 350Z as a roundabout to round out my Xterra. Found a couple of great 350Zs but in the end went with a G35.
it is lightly modded actually and seems to outperform the Zs I testdrove.

I believe when you shop in the used market it depends on the individual car and deal you find.

Now when I was in the new car market back min 2004 I picked the 350Z over the G Coupe due to price and it being essentially the same car , except for frills I decided I could easily do without.
But now since the G Coupes tend to go for less and I really enjoy leather the preference is turned around....

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”