Lights on all the time on Auto

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
SteveE337
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x

Morning

My exterior lights are always on (front,back and Fog) all the time when i have it switched to AUTO. But, my interior light will switch between day and night properly. Are they supposed to do that?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance

Steve

EdBwoy

Yes, they're working as designed.

The fog lights will force the exterior lights to come on, if the headlight switch is on AUTO.
The dusk/light sensor still determines whether the interior lights should come on... allowing optimal visibility of your gauges, screens and controls.

But if you want the interior lights to stay on all the time as well, turn the headlight switch to ON.

I know that that is the default behavior. I am not certain whether the dealer can change the programming to make the foglight switch behave "normally".

SteveE337

Thanks for the quick reply. I just wanted my exterior lights to be off during the day. Looks kinda dumb with all my lights on when it is sunny out.
I will turn off the fogs and only activate them at night.

Cheers

Steve

Malbec 56 Beast
Car: 2013 Infiniti M66xS Totaled 4/11/20
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy
1983 Porsche 928 S Euro (Sold) 2/17/20

My car started to do that when I changed my bulbs, headlight and dog.

I saw that there is a service bulletin on this issue so the dealer MIGHT have a fix.

Good luck

Andy

SteveE337

Hey.

So i tried the foglight off and the lights were all still on minus the fog lights. Still running full lights on Auto during the day.

I live 2 hrs in all directions from a major city so i will reach out to a dealer and see what they say, but may just live with it rather that spend time in Ottawa.

Cheers

Steve

EdBwoy

You mention Ottawa and I have a belief that Canadian models employ a DRL system.

The daylight running light system would employ separate bulbs (think of Audi LED strips), but in cars without separate lamps for that, the system just turns on the high beam at reduced output (the HID low beams are usually spared this duty for longevity purposes).

I know you said all lights minus fog, but could you verify whether:
1. Even the taillights still come on
2. It is the low beams or high beams at the front
3. Anything changes when you adjust the headlight sensitivity (https://youtu.be/uWEnmu5bpWU)
4. Your car is a Canadian model with the speedo displaying mainly Km/hr

satown210
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37
2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road

Also make sure there is not anything covering the light sensors on the dash. There are two. One is a sun load sensor for the HVAC and the other is the ambient light sensor.

SteveE337

Afternoon

It is a Canadian Model, The low beam headlights are always on but in this case the taillights are always on too. I know it is status quo to have daytime running lights here but i don't feel my taillights need to be on as well. I have adjusted the headlight sensitivity and it just makes a difference when the interior lights come on, no effect on the exterior.

Currently i'm just using the light manually. Also, nothing is covering the sensors.

I know it is not a super big deal, but i prefer if my lights come on at night and are off during the day (minus DRL) OCD thing i guess.

I appreciate the feedback on this thread.

madmanpauly
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56S

Hey guys, reviving this thread. My map stays dark day & night which leads me to believe that my light sensor has gone out and needs to be replaced. My question is, which sensor on the dash do I need to replace? I can't seem to find any info on this sensor online. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

You probably just need to click the day/night button in the bottom right corner of the controls and change it to day/back to auto. It was probably manually pressed to be dark. Although, I don't know if this setting sticks during system re-starts or not but that's the first thing I'd check.

madmanpauly

I just had a look around but did not find that setting / button. Is this located on the map screen? Thanks for this, hopefully this is the fix

madmanpauly

Found it - I toggled the button several times and saw where it went from "auto" to dark setting and back to auto. It would have been nice if it was just the button but I think something else is happening - thanks for the suggestion!

Still interested in hearing which sensor affects the map?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

It's the same sensor which affects the rest of the car. I believe it is on the dash up against the windshield.

madmanpauly

Agreed but there are two:

Temperature-Sunload Sentinel Light Sensor" part number 277211MA0A
Automatic Headlight Ambient Light Sensor For Nissan & Infiniti 28576-1HH0A

Does anyone know which one affects the interior lights? Obviously the headlight is 28576-1HH0A but not sure what else it affects. It's a pretty big price difference so I'd like to be reasonably sure but can't seem to find any info on it.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”