Lightened flywheel and more power question?

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
SilverTiger
Car: 68 Datsun Roadster

I doing a S14det into my Datsun Roadster. The will do some AutoX,street hill climbs,few track days and 3/4 time street driving.

What lighter flywheel(weight) do you recommend? I know the old saying to keep the stock flywheel in a turbo engine. Would like a little feed please.

The stock S14det HP numbers are 220hp on 7psi. If I was looking for 250-275hp. What would need to be changed?

Thanks

SilverTiger
Car: 68 Datsun Roadster

WOW I didn't think this would be such a hard 2 questions.

I have run light flywheels on NA cars and one turbo car. My feeling is lighter is always better. But all the cars have been over 3300 pounds. Not dealt with a light car and a turbo.

Yes I know raising the boost will add HP. What I would like to know, what size injectors,what boost psi,fuel pressure regulator,size of MAF would best and so on.

240life
Car: 1993 Coupe - S13 SR20det blacktop

You should be able to achieve close to 250 whp with a fmic and larger exhaust + more boost on a stock sr engine management system. I use a billet fly wheel from spec, saves a little weight and doesn't affect the rpm's negatively.

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

In a light car like that, I wouldn't worry to much about which flywheel and just make sue you get a good quality one of whatever weight. You should be able to just tweak the boost a little bit to get to that power.

kingtal0n
Car: 240sx

I would go with a steel lightweight flywheel for the RWD sr20. Lighter parts always help get more power to the ground, but they make the car more challenging to drive if you go too far with it. especially if using the stock ecu. I have a knife edged crankshaft, LW flywheel combination and its just too light, the car is a chore to get going and it needs special tuning to keep all the accessories. For instance, when you hit the a/c compressor the rotating assembly is so light that the engine stalls. I had to add an external ball-valve on the intake manifold and tune a region of the fuel map really lean to compensate for both situations.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”