Lift (rear) gate latch problem - parts help

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
thad-01PF

2001 PF LE

The latch on my lift gate quit working today. I pulled the gate apart enough to remove the latch, and I'm trying to make sure I buy the correct replacement part(s). Looking at the diagram linked below, I believe what I've removed (and need to replace) is simply the lock gate (item 2). Do you read it the same way based on the photos below of the part I removed? I just want to be sure what I've extracted doesn't also include one or more other parts. (Ignore the rod. It's fine and will go back in with the new part. It was just easier to pull this way.)

Assembly diagram: http://www.factorynissanparts....gid=2

My old latch...

jsm02cpa
Car: 2000 QX4

I had problems with my 2000 QX4, but it wasn't the gate, the rod would come out. I took everything apart and finally fixed it so it won't do it again, but I have a question as to what is wrong with yours. If the actuator isn't working, it won't move the gate. The gate is mechanical. If it is just that the latch isn't working (like something is broken, so it won't move right), then this is the right part.

If the actuator isn't firing to tell it to release, (you should hear a clunking when you hit the lock and unlock power lock button), then it is probably not the actuator.

Sometimes the locks get gummed up and just need a good shot of carb or brake cleaner to get the gunk out (don't get anything on your paint), clean it then spray with a good silicone lubricant.

Before you buy parts, make sure the actuator is working, that electrical part can go bad, I assume, and not let the gate mechanism work properly.

thad-01PF

Thanks, jsm. I'm assuming it's the latch mechanism and not the actuator because the latch actually got stuck while the gate was open and unlocked. The gate wouldn't close, and I couldn't physically pry the latch open to close it. Even with the latch removed from the actuator, when I trigger the release mechanically, it doesn't appear to be opening and closing the latch as it should. My assumption is that if the actuator goes bad, the gate would be permanently locked or unlocked, but the latch mechanism would technically still work. Does that sound right?

jsm02cpa

The latch mechanism would work, but you would have to manually move the latch rod to get the latch to open or close. If you hit the power lock buttons (open or closed) and hear the actuator make a noise (it should be in the drivers-side corner of the tailgate), then the actuator should be ok, which either means the rod isn't connected, or in fact your latch mechanism is messed-up, which is what you feel is the problem. If you tried to slam it and the latch was in the closed position, that could have done it! I think it moves pretty easily just by pushing on the latch rod, so the latch is probably bent and binding on itself.

Good luck.
Modified by jsm02cpa at 10:30 PM 11/5/2009

thad-01PF

Thanks for the input. It was indeed the latch. I was fairly confident about it, and I ordered the part online. The whole thing with next day shipping was about $100, and it was easier than I expected for me to get it replaced. I appreciate your help.

jsm02cpa

No problem, that's why this group is here. Everyone gets help one way or another.

Some of these guys have really put alot of time and effort into their cars, and they are pretty knowledgable about a variety of topics.

jl2002
Car: 2001 Pathy SE

Similar problem, my latch is broken. It opened 1 click, but now it's stuck.Cant open the hatch!

Any advice on opening it so I can fix it????

jsm02cpa

Have you tried loosening the rear plastinc cover on the tailgate? IF you can get it loose enough to pull the plastic away some, you may be able to release the latch from the inside. If the latch is busted, or stuck and the gate is closed, that's a problem. I was able to get mine open because it was the locking rod that was messed up, not the latch.

Guys, anyone know how to force open a latch that is stuck?

On the QX4, there are two big screws in the middle of the gate that hold the plastic in place, take that out first, then see if you can get it loose.

gcohen6
Car: 2006 350Z
2001 Pathfinder

I have a 2001 LE Pathfinder and the gate was stuck. Turning the key in the gate left didn't work, it was stuck. The dealer told me to cut the plastic panel to get to the lock assy. Not wanting to pay $100 for a new panel, I tried to pry it loose. I took off the inside handle and then tried to pry the plastic from around the window latch. I opened the window and manually closed the window latch to give me some clearance. Then with the rear hatch window open, I used a screwdriver to pry the plastic OVER the latch. Just as I cleared it, I was pulling hard and the entire plastic cover popped neatly off.

Then I disconnected the rod going to the actuator and the key worked as it should. Turn left to unlock the gate, turn partially right to lock the gate (and the car door locks). Now I'm going to see if I can repair the actuator. I got a price of $133 at

http://shop.gwinnettplacenissan.com/p/N ... 0W021.html

So if I can save $133, I will. I'll take pictures if I can fix it.

pathycostarica
Car: 2001 Pathfinder 4wd LE 3.5

Hi Gcohen6,
We’re you able to fix the electric actuator for the hatch to lock and unlock the door? I need to do that as mine won’t move and I am out of the country and can’t buy one easily.
Thank you

gcohen6
Car: 2006 350Z
2001 Pathfinder

Hi Pathycostarica;

Yes, I did fix it. But the fix may or may not work for you. The problem was one of the teeth in one of the gears broke. It wound up jamming the actuator. When I took the actuator apart, I removed the broken tooth. In my case, the tooth was out of the range of motion, so the gear did not slip into the toothless part of the gear.

I have been using it like this since, knock on wood it will stay working. I just got lucky the tooth was just far enough out of the way. It's too bad you can't get a new gear. But, that is Nissan, why sell you a $2 part when they can sell you a $160 actuator, or whatever they are selling for now.

I attached 2 pictures. One, the blurry one, shows the broken tooth, (it is bent over). You can see the crack at the bottom. The other is when I took the tooth out.
Attachments
P1010267.JPG
P1010266.JPG

pathycostarica

Thank you. Strange the tooth broke but it wasn’t in the range of motion.
Thanks for your help. I’ll take a look.

pathycostarica

So thanks again. Without having taken it out, I saw 2 listed on eBay used. I had an opportunity to ship it to someone traveling down by me so I acted quickly(never good) and ordered it. Ebay guy rushed it out as i asked.
So then I pulled mine out and found it’s a different part number and different part. Mine has 4 wire plug and 4 tongs vs the one I bought that had 2.
So at this point I toll mine apart expecting to see what you showed me in your photos but mine was all plastic gears. Set up looked similar to yours with the big gear in the muddle driven by the motor then reducing down to a smaller gear to drive the half moon looking gear. The big gear had popped up and there is a clip that strangely seats it over the gear under it and locks them together so the big gear can turn the smaller one. The clip maybe isn’t designed to go back like I put it but when I did it all spun so freely I buttoned it back up and ran out to the car to test it and it works perfectly now. I wish I had taken photos when it was apart but I just was so focused on it.
But thank you for the inspiration to pull it apart. Total time was less than 5 min. Took me longer to find a small Phillips screw driver than to do it.
Unfortunately I’ll also be the proud owner of an actuator that wouldn’t fit my car anyway.
But they are for sure fixable !!
Thanks again

David Pinkston
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

My 2001 Pathy LE liftgate hasn't been opened in over a year. With plastic panel removed and lock key bar disengaged (and electric lock open), nothing short of cutting the hardened steel strike will open it, and not enough room for that. Not enough room for shallow torx bit to remove strike, nor to remove mechanism from gate. Lubed it to the max, to no avail. Need to know if there is a way to pry open the jaw of the mechanism and release the strike. Can get gate open about 1.5". Please, experienced fixers only respond. Been everywhere, done all I could. Dealer couldn't even open it!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If it will lift a little then it's caught on the half latch. When the emergency release won't move it, the only things you can try are 1) hit it gingerly with an air hammer to try to vibrate it loose, or 2) getting a small hook tool underneath it to try to roll the cam directly (usually you need to modify the tool, so use a cheap one). If the cam is jammed and not just suffering from excessive play, you may have no choice but to break the lock apart from the inside (not easy and it's likely to damage the door) or drill out the striker screws from underneath (if they're accessible, I don't recall ever needing to do it on an R50 or R51).

David Pinkston

When lifting the exterior handle, or depressing the 'T' shaped paddle of the latch on the inside, nothing happens to fully release it. Would like to see an inside view of the mechanism itself to be savvy on it's operation. What is the 'half latch? Why would it be stuck, and what can free it? Gate does open an inch or so.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The half latch is like the secondary lock on an engine hood, but unlike the hood it doesn't have a separate release. On the liftgate it's an intermediate detent position for the cam which catches the striker but doesn't clamp it down tight. The auto lift mechanisms have a switch that detects it so the controller knows when to run the cinch motor, on manual liftgates it's just a safety.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

It's been about 10yrs since I had fixed an issue like this on my '02 Pathfinder but the details in my memory have been lost in time. I do recall that some minor rust on the latch assembly parts was partly to blame and that PB Blaster penetrating catalyst helped dissolve the rust and free up the sticking parts. I have a vague recollection of the latch mechanism functioning like a puzzle in that one part moves before another piece can move which in turn frees up the hitch to let go of the striker. I think there's a small, weak spring as part of the assembly that was messing with me as well. I know an old man's faded memory may not be of much help here but just maybe a few pictures for the latch, showing the parts you cannot see well when it's installed, might be useful. I found these pics on e-bay.
Attachments
Latch3.JPG
Latch2.JPG
Latch1.JPG

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

David Pinkston wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:35 am
... experienced fixers only respond. ...
I do try, best I can.
Attachments
I Fix Stuff.JPG

David Pinkston

Success opening liftgate! With panel off, and gate opening an inch, removed lock control ams, Sprayed retaining bolts (2) with catalyst lube, let set a while. Levered gate open as much as I could, Reached 12mm bolt heads with flat wrench, loosened enough to back them out with my fingers.. Then drilled the pinheads, starting with 1/8", finishing with 1/4" carbide dill bits. This released the dome of the mechanism, which I pried out. The nylon insides came out as well, and the door opened. I found a small spring by the strike, and I think it was lodged in such a way as to prevent the strike from being completely released. A shallow torx bit may have saved some trouble by unbolting the strike, but I went with what I had, and it's open! :mike

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Great work. Getting that s#!t apart without destroying anything but the lock is a major accomplishment, well done!

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”