lexan windows

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
95silvia14
Car: 1995 240SX, 1993 s13 coupe

who has them and how did you mount them im mostly tring to figure out the door glass, and how much weight did it save you. pics a plus

B13SER
Car: 93 se-r and 92 nx2000

Im wondering the same thing.

sr20goofus

you dont really want these unless you have a race car, lexan scratches really easy, so unless you take car to wet-sand and polish it all the time, itll look like crap.

it is very light, and is only beneficial if you change all the windows or just the big ones (front and rear). I suggest against it for street cars, not worth the money, spend the money on better tires, seat time, some auto-X's, etc.

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

its also even harder to find replacements for door glass...not worth it really for a street car, and 97% of amateur race cars in the states arent allowed front door windows anyway

95silvia14

its a full track car im building it for unlimited rwd time attack

nismofly

no door glass for redline, no door glass for nasa, and im fairly certain no door glass for super street...that pretty much covers the main events

just run no door windows, stock windshield glass (but not bonded necessarily), and run lexan on the 1/4 windows and the rear windshield

95silvia14

hmm i guess i must of missed that but you dont think i would save any weight from the front windshield im tring to get it down to under 2400lbs

nismofly

theres a lot of other places to look before running a lexan windshield, like goofus mentioned lexan scratches really easy so being on the front of the car it takes a lot of abuse, the rear and sides not so much

but yeah, look to other areas first, its not as hard as youd imagine to get an s14 under 2400

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

+1. I believe time attacks are held in all weather, so the small weight savings by using lexan instead of safety glass is negated by the better scratch resistance, ease to clean, and better visibility with wipers that glass offers.

I'd look for weight savings elsewhere.

Symyn240
Car: 1990, 1989, 1989, & 1993 240sx's

I dont mean to be rude but i dont think anybody answered his question. Say he really wanted to, maybe had a hookup with materials, anybody actually able to answere his question.

Please

crzycav86
Car: 93 240sx KAT

lexan sounds more tempting as means of lowering the CG rather than as strict weight savings. i think some of you guys are forgetting that.

however, i do agree that a comfortable and confident driver makes the fastest racecar.

sr20goofus

crzycav86 wrote:lexan sounds more tempting as means of lowering the CG rather than as strict weight savings. i think some of you guys are forgetting that.

however, i do agree that a comfortable and confident driver makes the fastest racecar.
there are many other ways of reducing the cars weight and CG before buying easily scratched windows. Track time is best place to spend money, not time attack track time either. Time with an instructor or time with organizations that give you hours of track time over a weekend.

Tho to answer the question, some shops just use rivets to mount the lexan through the outside 1"ring directly to the body. Usually this method is used because they arnt using formed glass and a few simple brackets arnt enough, so 50 rivets are used.

If you have molded glass that fits fairly well, mount it like the windshield with adhesive, and a few aluminum brackets bolted to the body that go over the edge of the window as a safety catch.

For the windshield, you can do this same method with molded pieces only, but add 2-3 vertical braces on the inside of the window to reduce flexing, keeps your view clear and the window strong.

if you really want pics i can dig some out of my files, but i feel i have covered the topic of how to mount unnecessarily spent money.

a_ahmed
Car: 1991 240sx fastback

Isn't there a non lexan alternative which doesn't scratch. Would putting a low layer of tint wrap or whatever to call it over the lexan protect from scratches. What do you think?

nismoautoxr
Car: 95 S14

tint scratches easier than lexan and imagine having to remove tint from lexan....wow !!!!!I have had guys threaten my life for putting a sticker for tech inspection on their lexan.

RR

Nismo302sx
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx S13 Hatchback

Everyone mentions that it scratches easy but, You can get windshield skin to keep the lexan nice. I thinking of lexan myself.

rioredstang
Car: 1993 240sx SCCA ITS

You can make your own. Carefully remove you old glass windshield. Look up a shop that sells fiberglass, buy some glass, resin, and release agent. Apply release agent to the inside of your old windshield. Carefully apply glass and resin to inside. Allow to cure 24 hours. Trim edges and remove your mold. You will need to add some bracing to the mold to help keep its shape. Now find a sign shop and purchase some 6mm Lexan. The sign shops have ovens big enough to heat the Lexan to lay over your mold. After it cools remove it from the mold and trim and sand edges to fit.Nascar uses some tear off's on their Lexan, I can't think of the brand name at the moment.

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”