Lettuce talk about grass

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Your yard, not the plant that is rapidly being legalized. 

Snows gone, and my yard looks like s***. 

(not my yard, but similar terrain).

Its got dirt,

some patches of good stuff

a lot of crab grass

a collection of normal and greater plantain

and creeping buttercup.

I used to only have to keep the grass cut and edges trimmed while drinking beer, but this new endeavor of home ownership and lawn maintenance has been bestowed upon me. 

Its probably too late to do much for this season, but if y'all take pride in your lawn or have some foolproof methods that can help me and others would greatly appreciate the tips!

Desert dwellers input is welcomed, too. It wasn't always a moonscape where you lived!

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

one word: astroturf. :)

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Bubba1 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:56 pm
one word: astroturf. :)
Or cement. Pave the whole thing over. Never need to mow again.

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

My yard is gravel with a lot of plants. I just pull a lot of damned weeds this time of year.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

How's your drainage and general erosion protection? Could round-up the whole damn thing. I've found good grass tends to thrive after a good cleansing.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Any broadleaf + crabgrass killer will take care of most of that. As far as the bare dirt where the grass had died back, just keep a close eye on it with the broadleaf control and the grass will fill back in.

I use a two step approach: pump spray bottle with WeedBGone + crabgrass for targeted application on big weeds, and broadcast spreader with Weed n Feed + crabgrass granules. Be careful with the broadcast spreader; get one with an adjustable coverage guard so you don't kill your trees/garden.

Anywhere there are weeds standing alone (not in grass) just use Roundup.

The trick to getting grass back is to just make sure nothing else fills in those spots. The crappy part is stuff like field grass can establish itself much quicker than your lawn so keep an eye on that.
Keep the dirt well-watered to encourage the lawn to fill in quickly.

The sellers let my front lawn die before I took possession of my house and it's going to be a HUGE job to resod to get rid of all the field grass that too over the dead spots.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

Bare spots could mean you need to dig that part up and replace the soil... I know someone who bought a place that had lots of dogs living there and they loved to piss in a particular spot of the yard. No manner of treatment could solve the issue save for digging it up and putting in clean soil. Another guy I know just had the soil too well packed in and it had to be dug up and loosened a bit for the grass roots to get in there easily.

Jesda

The one thing I really like about Arizona is the lack of grass.

I pay a lady to mow my lawn and clean the dog turds. It adds up to about $160 a month. This stuff grows in Michigan like Cargill grows soy.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I had a great yard back in '02 that went downhill when the wife wanted to focus on other things and stopped paying a lawn company to spray every few months. Started getting weeds and those damn African Violets. In 2016 we had our first run in with moles who destroyed the back yard and brought in more weeds with them. Last spring the moles were back with a vengeance, but, we had had enough and decided to focus on the yard again. First off we used mole bait to kill all the bastards and had a company come in and aerate/seed the yard. I then picked up a small tiller and hit 2-3 horribly dead/weedy areas that the moles had destroyed and re-seeded. The wife spent an ungodly amount of time tending to the yard to the point she had a Parmesan Cheese shaker with grass seed in it and would go hit small areas throughout last year. By the end of '17 it was looking pretty good. This year it's filling in and looks great. Here's a pic showing one of the areas we tilled and reseeded

Everything is filled in and really plush. 95% of all weeds are gone and the ones left are getting removed as I run across them. I hate to know the amount of money we spent to get it this way.

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

audtatious wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:48 am
I had a great yard back in '02 that went downhill when the wife wanted to focus on other things and stopped paying a lawn company to spray every few months. Started getting weeds and those damn African Violets. In 2016 we had our first run in with moles who destroyed the back yard and brought in more weeds with them. Last spring the moles were back with a vengeance, but, we had had enough and decided to focus on the yard again. First off we used mole bait to kill all the bastards and had a company come in and aerate/seed the yard. I then picked up a small tiller and hit 2-3 horribly dead/weedy areas that the moles had destroyed and re-seeded. The wife spent an ungodly amount of time tending to the yard to the point she had a Parmesan Cheese shaker with grass seed in it and would go hit small areas throughout last year. By the end of '17 it was looking pretty good. This year it's filling in and looks great. Here's a pic showing one of the areas we tilled and reseeded

Everything is filled in and really plush. 95% of all weeds are gone and the ones left are getting removed as I run across them. I hate to know the amount of money we spent to get it this way.
Looks great! Yes it takes a lot of work to maintain a yard. When we moved into our new home in 2005, the builder did a crappy job landscaping. My back yard sloped towards the back of the house, and there was no retaining wall so every time it rained I had a lake in my back yard. It cost me $20k to hire someone to totally redo the whole yard. Fescue sod, Versa Block retaining wall across the back, sprinkler system, French drains, had a nice block patio put in from the retaining wall to the back deck. I use Trugreen for the chemicals but I do all of the cutting and aerate (in the fall). I have a small 120' x 80' yard in a HOA (a little less than 1/4 acre). It's pretty much flat except for the slope in back. I'm trying to get it landscaped to be mostly maintenance free. It's been 12 years in the making but it has come a long way.

Return to “General Chat”