lets talk weight transfer...

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
poshatch
Car: p.o.s. 1990 240sx hatch

ok so basically id like some suggestions on what you think i am doing wrong or what you think i should try to to point me into the right direction in correcting this problem of mine

ok so ive got first gear doughnuts down pretty good, tight and wide circles, i got my steering and throttle down pretty good too so i can maintain this drift as long as i want without correction from clutch kicking or e braking

1. first question is what is higher speed drifting like?, besides the initiation is maintaining the drift essentially the same as maintaining it in a doughnut...

ive done second gear runs and stuff but this is where i have the problems mostly with entry

ive tried feint drifting as well as clutch kicking from second gear, sometimes i get the drift going ok and the exit is somewhat bad...i figured out that i need to start straightening it out a bit sooner and keep on the gas at the end

now my biggest problem is with intitiation...i ususally get too much rotation and spin out

2. is this because im giving it too much initiation force i.e. trying to hard..?3.am i not countersteering fast enough and spinning out because im allowing the end to come out too fast?

other times i dont initiate hard enough and get insane understeer usually save it but after i ran into a fence i decided that im gonna stick to the track and try to figure out what my problem is...

any input on what you think im doing wrong or have initiation or offer how you corrected similar problems for youself that would be great!!!

SR24DET
Car: RMS13

Starting with donuts is a good place to start. Before you go on tracks and worry about other things I would make sure you can do figure 8's. This is a easy way to learn transfer. It is important. If you can do it in figure 8's it will be easier to do it on the track later. You need to learn how far your car will slide. You also need to learn how far to push your car to know the correct timeing in which to start your transition. Once you have this down. Its just practice practice practice. As far as you spinning out goes. This can be attributed to seat time, but it can also be how your car is setup. Diff is numero uno. Then suspension and tierods and such. All could be part of your problem.

poshatch

i feel confident in my dougnuts and i feel like i can move on from there...well i am going to the "track" this weekend, really its just a skid pad practice event so its not real track drifting...i look foreward to working out some of the bugs in my drifting there and of course i will take your advice and spend the begginging of my session there doing figure 8's

i got a mild feel for the switch back (from ride alongs) as well as atempting one once and i nailed it, but that was once...

im sure my spinning out problem is seat time experience i dont have alot haha

my diff...j30 vlsd that wasnt abused so it still locks great

my suspension is also not shabby...tein HE type winding master coilovers with a fully adjustable suspension...subframe inserts/collars, subframe bracing pillowball everywhere...tie rods however...stock

i appreciate the info thanks

i was begginging to think that it was a too aggressive entry and slow or not enough countersteering
SR24DET wrote:Starting with donuts is a good place to start. Before you go on tracks and worry about other things I would make sure you can do figure 8's. This is a easy way to learn transfer. It is important. If you can do it in figure 8's it will be easier to do it on the track later. You need to learn how far your car will slide. You also need to learn how far to push your car to know the correct timeing in which to start your transition. Once you have this down. Its just practice practice practice. As far as you spinning out goes. This can be attributed to seat time, but it can also be how your car is setup. Diff is numero uno. Then suspension and tierods and such. All could be part of your problem.

TerminalVelocity
Car: 1996 240sx

On the initiation, I'm guessing you're just getting too much angle/rotation. By it's nature, the feint is an aggressive way to initiate a drift. It's really easy to get too much transfer. Clutch kicking is also like this, depending on how much steering input you're giving the car when you clutch kick. Try counter steering much sooner when you clutch kick, like almost the instant you feel the rear start to step out.Also, I'd take a step back and work on initiations using the e-brake. It's a much more mild way of initiating and makes it easier to control your entry angle. When you do this, head for the corner in a straight line. Pull the e-brake (while still going straight) and wait til you feel the tires lock. When they lock, turn into the corner slightly while letting go of the e-brake. This will get you into an easy to control slide. Experiment with the timing of when you turn in and how long you hold the e-brake for to change you entry angle. NOTE: Turning before pulling the e-brake will give you a much more dramatic entry and will be similar to feint entry or clutch kicking. Practice locking the rear tires before turning first so you can get used to what it takes to "catch" the rear as it comes out.

On the transitions, I'm thinking you just need to counter sooner/ more quickly. This was my biggest problem when I started. You have to counter sooner than you'd think. I start my counter as soon as I feel the car's weight shifting into the new direction.

Hope this answered your questions lol. Good luck.

poshatch

yeah thats what i was feeling like i was getting way to much angle and initiating way to hard and or not countersteering enough

i will definately start my countersteer earlier and see how that works out that is probably one of the bigger problems

to be honest....i have never tried and ebrake entry...ill use it for j turns but that is just about it, only super low speed stuff but hey ill give it a shot for sure

yea this sort of helped reafferm my mild suspissions about what my two problems were

haha i guess i need to be less aggressive and counter faster...

thanks for the input

SR24DET
Car: RMS13

It sounds like your trying to control it to much. Do your entry however you want (I like to clutch kick). Once your car starts slideing sideways loosen your grip so the wheel can spin freely and correct itself. After that make minor adjustments to correct your line. To much manhandleing = more spinouts. It's hard to explain. best way, more seat time.

poshatch

SR24DET wrote:It sounds like your trying to control it to much. Do your entry however you want (I like to clutch kick). Once your car starts slideing sideways loosen your grip so the wheel can spin freely and correct itself. After that make minor adjustments to correct your line. To much manhandleing = more spinouts. It's hard to explain. best way, more seat time.
yes i believe my countersteer timing is off causing it cause i think my entries are too agressive and ive im too slow on counter i would spin out

andddd....tomorrow...seat time ftw

poshatch

id just like to say thank you to everybody who posted to this with input on how to better my drifting

i took all the suggestions in to account and took them to the skid pad today and i got to say

i fixed most all of them and i am drifting so much better now

way more controled way smoother built my confidence and gave me some good seat time

thanks again all

Sleeper_RMS13
Car: 91 FB W/Blacktop SR

Im not hating or anything but mabe you can consider getting a clutch type lsd. I know not everyone is a baller but it will help you more on the control part becuase vsld's arnt really made for drifting. Also an easy way to to get a wielded diff i know there not always reliable but thats how alot of people i know and myself learned the basics and there super cheap.

Its good to see another Sacramentarian lol.

poshatch

Sleeper_RMS13 wrote:Im not hating or anything but mabe you can consider getting a clutch type lsd. I know not everyone is a baller but it will help you more on the control part becuase vsld's arnt really made for drifting. Also an easy way to to get a wielded diff i know there not always reliable but thats how alot of people i know and myself learned the basics and there super cheap.

Its good to see another Sacramentarian lol.
i would love a clutch type but the vlsd still works amazing

as far as control, a little seat time did me good and i corrected all of the problems that i had and was drifting more consistently with more angle and had higher entry speeds and run speeds

turns out i wasnt countersteering fast enough like i thought i was but yeah i still need more practice sure lol but i feel way more confident now...my friend had my welded in and he says my car is much more managable and predictible than his (mostly because his subframe at the moment is loose and mine is air tight)

rep sacramento

TerminalVelocity
Car: 1996 240sx

Glad to hear you're improving

poshatch

TerminalVelocity wrote:Glad to hear you're improving
thanks, getting there, but now that ive gone to a real place to drift i wanna keep going, im like suffering from withdrawls cause their is so much more to work on and its so much effing fun

progman

I know what you mean. I have to balance how much fun i want to have with how much I want to seriously work on my technique. I try to learn a few things or feel like I improved something. and then have fun the rest of the time.

poshatch

progman wrote:I know what you mean. I have to balance how much fun i want to have with how much I want to seriously work on my technique. I try to learn a few things or feel like I improved something. and then have fun the rest of the time.
yeah funny you replied now cause i JUST finished two more skid pad events the 13th and 14th lol

the layout was hard for me since im new, and i was so frustrated with my initiations but later in the day i just wanted to have fun, then i was hitting intitiations better and then i could go back to working on stuff hahaha

initiations are pretty much perfect every time now, now im working on switchbacks, its gettin there i got the main idea now i need a better feel and more experience, so much fun id go every weekend to drift if i could!

Joe

practicepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepractice

thats whats going to help. a bunch of randoms on the internet will only give you advice that wont make sense till theres someone at the track smacking the information into your head.

poshatch

Joe wrote:practicepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepractice

thats whats going to help. a bunch of randoms on the internet will only give you advice that wont make sense till theres someone at the track smacking the information into your head.
haha i got this thing down now, i went to the track 4 times this year and ive developed my skills alot! always finding more and more things to work on but its getting there the track is awesome

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”