Let's talk 97-01 Q45 Y33 Suspension

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
CRIZZ
Car: 2000 Infiniti Q45
1998 Infiniti Q45T

Let's talk Y33 (Q45) suspension.

The Q45 is a heavy full size sedan. One of the main things about the q45 that had alot of issues was the struts. To make matters worse they are very hard to find oem or aftermarket replacement struts/shocks. As of 2021 only 2 major companies which are BC coilovers and Megan racing have made bolt on coilovers for the Q45. As far as interchangeable struts/shocks there are none. Well no direct bolt ons' but there are some with few modifications that come from the s13 and s14 platform.

OEM Replacement.

Front: Currently the only way to get a retail on some new oem front struts is through the dealership themselves. At NICOforums a couples years back they had good connections with a certain parts department at infiniti (if those connections still exist I hope a NICO member will shine light on that) But other than that we are all stuck at the mercy of a dealership and there inflated prices for parts. Last time I checked front left or right strut is $450+ plus tax and shipping.

Rear:   Good News! Gabriel shocks and struts makes a good (not perfect) oem feel shock for rear wheels on the Q45. They are starting currently at $40 through autozone and rockauto. I previously installed them on my 98 and the ride quality is pretty darn good. Can not feel a noticeable difference but not 100% sure on life expectancy. I will update you all after a year of use (date installed 5/2021).  OEM struts are going around the same price for the fronts ($400+) through a infiniti parts dealer.

Aftermarket Coilovers

Currently for coilovers with spindles you're looking at 2 companies only. BC Racing and Megan Racing. Only two companies I've heard and seen people use on there Q's with realiable results and few posibly unwanted ''features''.

First thing first, if you love how the Q45 rides and feels, smooth and luxurious. Well coilovers will ruin that to S***. Coilovers will most ussually always make stock suspension stiffer. Some may also experience remorse for buying a set of $1500+ coilovers becasue you realize after installing your new said coilovers. It feels like your car is gunna brake next time you pass a bump or hole in the road. Truth is, if your planning on buying a new set of coilovers make sure youre choosing youre spring rate. If you are not given the option either call or look for a different website.

Spring Rate

One major miscomseption is that all coilovers are the same. Spring rate is key to bringing the best out of your new coilovers. Spring rates is sorta universal when it comes to specific car scenes in the car world. But for daily drivers or personal projects spring rate is very unique to one's own car. Spring rates should always go hand in hand with your veichles ''Sprung weight''

How do you measure sprung weight?
First 2 definitions.
1. Define sprung weight: Any amount of weight that is supported by a spring
2. Define unsprung weight: Any weight leading into an attachment at the bottom of a spring is unsprung weight

Knowing these two things we can rule out the wheels, tires, brakes, control arms, diffrential & axles for RWD, ect. when measuring sprung weight. In order to get perfect spring rates for your car, consider using weight-scale pads for all 4 wheels. This way youll be able to dial in that suspension. Other methods like measuring the entire car and ball parking the weigth ratio can get you close. Once you get your number(e.g. 550 front 425 rear) per individual spring you are ready to order your new coilovers. Sometimes you may need to convert your 'lbs spring rate' to a different unit depending on the manufacture of said coilovers.

BCC93QT
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45

Jdm car. Parts are still being produced in Japan. Along with aftermarket support. Source there

98_Q45

I changed out all 4 of my (super worn) shocks back in 2019. I did the rear first with Gabriel's. Didn't do the Springs however. It made a pretty decent improvement considering mine were so bad, a big dip in the highway made for a fun G-force experience haha.

The fronts I found from a site that was run by Naples Infiniti in Florida. Complete kit without the springs for $270-ish each at the time and $60 shipping. So far after about 30,000-50,000 miles (I do a ton of highway) everything holding up okay, just the boot on 1 of the front got torn. The rear Gabriel's are good, though there's some slight slag...though the boots are still good and it runs over pot holes and bumps like a champ. Compared to my Nissan Maxima, it's still a much smoother ride.

I hope I can ride on these struts for the remaind?er of it's age. Though I may have to re-boot the front driver's strut, and may even re-spring it in the process. But it cost over $300 with alignment at small town shop...so I'm not rushing to do it.

This is a good reason why auto models that share interchangeable parts do best and last. Ever heard of the Chevy Escalade, or the Ford Navigator? And of course you can't forget, The Nissan I30 lol.

My biggest issue right now is, I can't seem to get a straight alignment for s***. I've (paid others) to changed out several rear suspension parts from ebay on the driver's side, and the lower most arm on the passenger. At this point I'm not worried about it anymore because it seems on some roads my steering is straight, others its turned at an angle. I've even adjusted the steering wheel itself with it off, to ensure it's tracking straight. I think it's more related to tire wear and road leveling, than the alignment. Went to a couple of shops including the dealer, and they just want me to replace more and more everytime I go, so I'm just like f*** it. Long as my tires aren't wearing excessively

fontana dan
Car: 1997 Infiniti Q45

The original front shocks are blown on my '97 Q45. Like 98_Q45 said, big dip on the highway makes the car bounce like a porpoise.
Going over speed bumps or bad pavement there is a lot of harshness and shock transmitted through the steering wheel and body. The strut mounts are probably worn out also.
I also have a serious vibration coming from the rear end around 50-60mph and 80-90+mph. Not sure if wheel balance or what.
Naples infiniti still the place to get shocks? I havent been able to find them in Japan either.

CRIZZ
1998 Infiniti Q45T

Definitely a main issue on these old cars @fontana dan but I can say with certainty that the bc racing coils are the best upgrade for the q45. Mind you it's a front heavy boat of a car so the stiffer srpings and adjustable dampening works really well with the car. I've been meaning to post about the complete suspension swap using megan racing control Arms for the front and rear but if you'd like to check out my youtube channel I explain a little more there 'chrisandhisq'.... with that said I definitely recommend saving up a little money and buying the coilovers, wheel bearings, and all rubber bushings possible for the frame and chasis. Youre looking at roughly $2000 - 3000 and If you add all suspension links for the front and rear maybe another $1000. This for me definitely got rid of all the rattle and fear of driving high speeds but any engine, tranmission and differential mounts MUST be replaced to if you really want to get rid of all vibrations. Keep In mind all these cars are over 20 years old with more than likely original rubber bushing everywhere. It's no surprise the car rattles, shakes and bounces like crazy. If you read most OG's threads and posts you'll get the same answers, the cars are old, fragile and expensive. If you want a racing car that's cheap, get a Honda. If you want a luxury car that no one else has, be prepared to invest thousands. Unless of course you have connections in Japan.

fontana dan

CRIZZ wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:42 am
If you read most OG's threads and posts you'll get the same answers, the cars are old, fragile and expensive. If you want a racing car that's cheap, get a Honda. If you want a luxury car that no one else has, be prepared to invest thousands. Unless of course you have connections in Japan.
True that.
I don't mind the factory spring rate, just the shocks that aren't exactly working anymore.
I can feel at low speed that my car has a bad engine, trans mount or something. I haven't been able to get the car up on a lift to start prying around to see whats actually loose. Do you have any vids on that? Or a vid showing the handling of your Q after the suspension upgrade? I subbed to your YT channel, sweet car.
Also have some "minor" problem where the trans doesnt want to upshift to 2nd at WOT.

CRIZZ
1998 Infiniti Q45T

[/quote]
I can feel at low speed that my car has a bad engine, trans mount or something. I haven't been able to get the car up on a lift to start prying around to see whats actually loose. Do you have any vids on that? Or a vid showing the handling of your Q after the suspension upgrade? I subbed to your YT channel, sweet car.
Also have some "minor" problem where the trans doesnt want to upshift to 2nd at WOT.
[/quote]

I would definitely recommend doing maintenance on the transmission and looking for something that works exactly as the Nissan AT fluid, I forget the exact spec on the oil but I do know there's been reports of certain oils being too thick and causing valves to stay open or closed giving you upshift issues. If you're Trans isn't leaking or slipping at high load then a doing maintenance on the Trans is your best bet. As far as mounts I will be uploading something like that in a couple months. Still need to verify sizes on mounts as the oems don't really exist and I prefer to get poly rather than rubber. Keep in mind that mounts are meant to hold the weight so prying and moving won't give you and exact pin point of what mounts to change, I suggest just change all the mounts at once. As far as the handling I've been trying to do a mortgage but let me tell you that the Q Handel's like a dream. Of course it's bumbier and stiffer but I don't mind that at all.

fontana dan

Replaced rear tires which fixed bad vibration at 85mph. Still get some shaking from the front end around 60mph.
I did maintenance on the transmission with new filter and generic import ATF. It shifts a little better but not much different. It does not slip in gear, and downshifts are pretty crisp.
Haven't been able to get under it and check the drivetrain mounts yet.

CRIZZ
1998 Infiniti Q45T

fontana dan wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:57 pm
Replaced rear tires which fixed bad vibration at 85mph. Still get some shaking from the front end around 60mph.
I did maintenance on the transmission with new filter and generic import ATF. It shifts a little better but not much different. It does not slip in gear, and downshifts are pretty crisp.
Haven't been able to get under it and check the drivetrain mounts yet.
If your still experiencing issues and your tranny isn't leaking and no deposits have shown up in your oil change then I would 100% recommend to check out the FSM. There's a whole section dedicated to pin pointing the exact problem down to gears and shifting. Keep in mind that its written in a way for mechanics to understand so it may be hard to understand but you get used to it. As far as the shaking. the old rubber bands on the driveshaft can be worn out or even the carrier bearing. one way to notice its one or the other is if the car starts shaking/bouncing/jiggling at different high speeds. like 60mph and then another day at 70mph (vice versa). if the car shakes and vibrates at 1 constant speed then most likely it due to an unbalanced tire, tire patch, or unevenly worn tire. tire sidewall damage can also be an issue.

fontana dan

The transmission is ok for now. Will definitely consult service manual if it burns out.
What the car really needs is front shocks and a starter solenoid. Intermittent no crank situation...has not left me stranded yet.
But WHERE can you find oem front shocks?

TheDeadKing
Car: 1994 Nissan 300ZX & 2001 Infiniti Q45t

You can still buy replacement parts from Infiniti/RockAuto, and aftermarket springs and shochs from Japan. I purchased a full set of standard RS*R springs and KYB SR Special shocks. I sourced them from Yahoo Auction Japan and used From-Japan as the auction & shipping proxy service. I converted my front suspension on my 2001 Q45t w/ Active Suspension to the standard non Active Suspension using my stock wheel assembly.

fontana dan

Thank you @deadking. How long ago did you purchase these? Can you give a part number for the front shocks?

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

I only just lurk here as I cannot help myself, I had a 97' which blew out the shocks at the 60k mark and I replaced with lowering springs and KYB SR Specials. I was super happy with the results, no rubbing, fit great and was a wonderful setup. At 90k started having a rub and my trusted mechanic replaced every rubber part and no luck. Then we noticed leaking from right front shock which is where I had rubbing. s*** of course when you buy KYB's i US they have essentially a great warranty (I have had them replaced for free on 300ZX) but I bought from guy that had imported them. I couldn't find another set at the time so switched to BC Coilovers. The positive the car handled amazing, no body roll and I could toss that big car like no other. The negative was I could roll over a quarter and call it heads or tails. I ordered from a speed shop and they did the install, I had big aligment and wheel balance problems that took a long time to resolve. But eventually the car was well sorted out, but VERY VERY Stiff. i much refered the balance of the SR Specials and custom springs but I sure smiled in freeway cloverleafs with my fat 19" Michelin Super Sports.

Ludeaem
Car: 2000 Infiniti Q45 AE

I agree. Its not valved correctly and/or the spring rates are too high. I will be getting them re-valved at somepoint and probably a softer spring rate. Want to say its 8k front, 6k rear. YMMV

BadQ45t
05' X-Terra S 4x4

When I bought them the shop didn't explain that I could have tried to soften things up a little bit, for sure would have if I decided to keep the car longer. I loved that car gave me 19 years of very reliable service, only 2 tows one for alternator and one for a blow out, other than the suspension challenges I really never did anything but route fluids and mainteance.

CRIZZ
1998 Infiniti Q45T

So I juat realized that i have not responded to a comment on youtube about the parts ive used. before i went to go ahead and commnet back saying cant you see i did. i realized i didnt. So here is a complete list for those who would like to know what i recently bought to upgrade my Q45's suspension and some key upgrades i need to do ASAP as should you if you own a Q45 and havent done so already.

PSA: at the moment of purchase of each item i search over weeks trying to find the cheapest item possible all in different websites. due to slight inflations some items have increased as i have tried to buy them again recently so if you can find each part (not brand but close to same quality) for cheaper i say buy it.

WE COMMENCE!: These are parts i bought and installed were you can watch on my Youtube Channel ChrisandHisQ
Item -- Time of paying + tx and shipping
Rear P2M Upper Control Arms 240sx $135
NRG Rear Toe links 240sx $110
godspeed camber kit 240sx $212.5
godspeed rear traction rods 240sx $127.5
megan racing front control arms Q45 s14-s15 $479.95
BC racing coilovers BR series Q45 8k front 7k rear Fitment industries $1200
NSK Wheel bearing and hub seal Q45 partsgeek $58x2
Rear sway bar link bushings pair Q45 rockauto $15
Rear sway bar bushings pair POLY Q45 rockauto $20
Front Sway Bar Bushings POLY Q45 Rockauto $20
adjustable 90 degree sway bar links JEEPworks $80

Now here are some things im going to be doing in the near future for the same car
240sx rear diff brace
replace all bushings on rear left and right wheel knuckles (saw some 240sx stuff)
replace rear wheel bearings OEM
AT support bushings OEM
Custom Exhuast. (pretty much just unbolted the last muffler and add straight pipe)
Upgrade rear frame/chassis bushings (240sx stuff compatiple)
Upgrade front frame/chasis bushings (saw some stuff with 240sx)
Upgrade Engine mount (saw some stuff with the old engine or an Acura mount)
Delete AC condenser and compressor as pipes and radiator were damaged long long ago.
Replace oil pump gasket
Replace power steering pump
Replace Rack and Pinion Assembly
Replace high pressure power steering hose
Replace AT oil filter
Replace a calipers, rotors and pads

Stay tuned for more!!!!

fontana dan

I still can't find factory replacement front shocks. WHERE? Neither KYB or Gabriel make them.
I'm getting fed up with lack of parts availability for this car.

CRIZZ
1998 Infiniti Q45T

fontana dan wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:22 pm
I still can't find factory replacement front shocks. WHERE? Neither KYB or Gabriel make them.
I'm getting fed up with lack of parts availability for this car.
Most OEM parts can still be purchased through the retailer. If you Google it you should find different infiniti retailers across the US. https://parts.infinitiusa.com/a/INFINIT ... _401A.html
There's a link so it's easy to know what part number you're looking for. Keep in mind different stores do have different markups due to their location. But it shouldn't be that hard to find.

fontana dan

So my only option is buying OE parts at $750 each?

BadQ45t
05' X-Terra S 4x4

That is your easiest option, you can try to source the KYB SR Specials which are a better more performance oriented version of the stock struts, but they were never imported to the US. You can find them from places in Japan, I found a set (years ago) from a local guy in Bay Area that was a big JDM importer.

The other options is to spend $1200 on a set of BC coil overs (which I eventually did after KYB Specials blew out) and you can order those with a lower spring rate, but it will still make the car ride rougher (But handle way better). If this is a car you plan to keep forever (I thought I was going to but parted with it in 2019) because the BC's are rebuildable, so if you wear them out you can buy rebuild parts.

fontana dan

Thank you for the advice.
Did you search for JDM struts for Q45 or Nissan Cima? Nissan Cedrick?

Ludeaem

EDIT: I found the correct RSR sping part numbers for the v8. For those interested. For the Ti springs its N183TD for the standard RSR Downs its N183D. Spring rates and lowering are the same between the two. The main difference I could tell from my research is the Ti's are Titanium thus lighter.

I PM'd TheDeadking but figured I'd ask here. I am tired of my BC Coilovers ride so I'm looking at RSR or Espelir springs and KYB SR shocks but all seem to be listed for the 3.0 V6 FHY33 chassis on Yahoo auctions.

For those who have had these or currently have these, is that what you ordered? I would assume the weight from the v6 to v8 may make too low in the front.

fontana dan

Anyone have the p/n or info on the rear diff mount bushings? Seems like mine are shot.
It fits in the race labelled 38300M but it seems to be missing from this diagram.

Ludeaem

fontana dan

Thanks Ludeaem!! What do polyurethane diff carrier mounts sound like? This will be my first experience with poly bushings...
so you got to drop the diff to do the bushings?

Ludeaem

Sound like? They won't flex enough to make noise but I recommend dropping the whole subframe. Its actually really easy. Bulky but easy. Will save you a lot of grief.

Ludeaem

Also a good time to check for the rear diff mounts on the subframe and any diff seals.

fontana dan

When I ask what the diff mounts sound like, I'm asking if the poly bushings will transmit any excess noise/vibration/harshness into the cabin.
Would you recommend dropping the rear subframe to do shocks and diff mounts at the same time? It looks pretty straight forward.
However, this driveline business will have to wait until the front end is sorted out. Blown front shocks almost making me feel sea sick on a road trip.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at 4.03.57 PM.png

CRIZZ
1998 Infiniti Q45T

fontana dan wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:13 pm
When I ask what the diff mounts sound like, I'm asking if the poly bushings will transmit any excess noise/vibration/harshness into the cabin.
Would you recommend dropping the rear subframe to do shocks and diff mounts at the same time? It looks pretty straight forward.
However, this driveline business will have to wait until the front end is sorted out. Blown front shocks almost making me feel sea sick on a road trip.
Keep in mind, im not trying to scare you :poke:

Tha'ts definitely gunna take a while to fix, I hate to break it to you but unfortunately the Q45 has very very little OEM and Aftermarket support. Not to mention there's very few drivers left, and the cars themselves are almost nonexistent. Luckily NICO forums has made it possible to get everyone in this car community together.

Now, like BadQ45t mentioned and ludeaem, if you want the original feel of the car your going to have to dig deep in the web or across cities in junk yards hoping they can sell and send you the parts you need. Other than that your best best is to convert most suspension parts to those from a 240SX/350z or a R32/R33. Personally, I'm trying to keep as much as the Q45 stuff as possible as they are just much beefier than anything from a different platform. Now if you keep your car stock i would highly suggest keep all original parts but if you are planning on dropping some serious weight on the car. Some BC coilovers and 240SX parts will save you a lot of time and potentially money over getting OEM parts.

Now I would like to address your bushings concern. Yes poly bushings will definitely stiffen your ride and feel of the car. I personally haven't done it to any of my Q's but from different cars I can definitely feel the ride much stiffer and a bit nosier as the stiffer the ride the more vibrations will transfer to the rest of the chassis in the car. Rubber by far will always keep the car ride quieter and smother, but most of that fades away at high speeds. With poly bushings at slow speeds you'll definitely feel a harsher ride, but at higher speeds the car will feel as if it was driving at slow speeds, meaning you can turn at higher speeds without feeling you're going to roll over or slide/skid out.

I would definitely recommend getting your front end fixed first as it can be quite dangerous rocking around in super front heavy car. As for the rear, you can find the sub-frame bushing on the energy suspension website and they also sell the differential bushings. If you're not planning on getting coilovers, or adjustable Front control arms then the tension rod bushings would go great as well. Gabriel does make rear shocks for the car but they are cheap both in price and quality.

With all that said, if you're really committed to reviving your own Q45 just keep in mind redoing the entire front and rear suspension the right way to OEM or Aftermarket will run you anywhere between 4 and 6 grand. On top of that, if you haven't done any work to the motor itself I highly suggest start regularly changing the oil, don't rev the engine much specially if you have OEM engine mounts and don't get me started on the transmission. Also, check all your power steering components. Heat, weather and time at this point in all older cars will cause many problems to any and all gaskets, bearings and bushings. Not saying that to scare you, but I personally really like the car itself, it's been a project car for the past 6 years and I'm barely getting through half of the stuff i mentioned. If you're willing to jump aboard I'm hoping you will share your experience with the rest of us but just keep in mind, 6 grand is a good down payment for a really nice car.
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: TYPO

fontana dan

Thanks for the input CRIZZ. I'm trying to restore this car to the original feel, keeping as many original parts as possible.
I've got a set of 4 new KYB SR Specials which I sourced from Japan through Streeter. This week I'm going to start on the front struts, hoping the mixture of new KYB and original parts will fit together. 4 new tie rods as well. Will update on the process.
Already done power steering pump, high pressure hose, tension rods and front swaybar links. Factory rack seems fine at this point.

Took about a week after buying this car to realize the lack of OEM and aftermarket support, that none of these repairs would be as simple as I thought.

Don't rev the engine? Sorry too late. Yeah the trans does suck.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”