LED Headlights

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

I upgraded the halogens in my EX to 4300K Morimotos (the retrofit source) a several years ago...a few months or so after I bought it. Always happy that I did it. Much much nicer than halogen in all aspects.

In case any you have halogens and want to upgrade cheap,....
My wife's CT200h also came with Halogens (WTF!!!) :wtf2: Instead of HID, I decided to try LED since they have improved so much recently..as well as coming down in price. There was SO MUCH to learn and I am sure I didn't learn anywhere near all that would have benefited me, but I found some DOT compliant LED for $49 shipped and I figured it was worth the price to give it a shot.
From what I understand, halogens are about 1400 lumens at 3000K temp.
I could not find 4300K LEDs that had enough lumens, and the 5000K was also rare. Almost everything was 6000K or 6500K. I went ahead and picked up some 6000K, 3600 lumens per light. (they come in the lumen range of 1500-5000, but I read a lot of 'too bright' stories for the 4000 and 5000 lumens options.
The 6000K temp is a touch bluer than I wanted when compared to the LED running lights...almost make them look yellow... but the halogens made them look blue! All perception and illusion. I think 3600 lumens is about right though (for low beams). It literally took me 5 minutes..

I will take some (useless) photos later, but very happy with the modernization of her lights for less than a fiddy. :)
Last edited by XIS on Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

This is what I purchased. There are SO MANY others.
https://www.auxbeam.com/Auxbeam-F-16-Se ... ersion-Kit

EX35WinterBeater
Car: Summer: 2003 Honda S2000
Winter: 2008 Infiniti EX35

I thought all EX's had HID and not halogens? Was it just base models? I know my 08 has HIDs.

Interesting thought of LEDs though, how do they compare to HIDs?

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

Nope... and it wasn't even limited to a base model... There are a lot that came with halogens.

LED is getting right up there next to HID. A very very close 2nd on the aftermarket side and I am sure that they will surpass HIDs if you spend the money. My pop's C63 AMG has LED lights that are better than HID, but I am pretty damn sure they were more than a $49 upgrade!
Hopefully these LED's last like my HID's have lasted!

EX35WinterBeater
Car: Summer: 2003 Honda S2000
Winter: 2008 Infiniti EX35

I had no idea. I believe mine is loaded as it has the 360 cameras, music box, GPS, blah blah blah. I guess HID's are included in one of those packages.

Wouldn't be surprised if LEDs surpassed them at some point though.

Jaymes
Car: 2017 QX50 BEAST WAGON

Yes mine came with halogens, which were very dim mind you. I was so disappointed by the output and poor visibility that I upgraded to some HID's. I am using the halogen projectors, so I'm sure that the setup is not the most efficient. But it is much better that the halogens that the car came with.

I also tried the LED kit from amazon. I'm not sure if there are huge differences in performance between the different manufacturers, but mine were not that bright. They might have been a little brighter than the halogens, but not as bright as the HID's that I have on now.

I wish I shopped a little smarter and opted for the package that came with the turning-headlight HID's. Now that sounds like something I would appreciate

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”