Led headlight bulbs

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Gravitym35
Car: 2007 m35x

2007 m35x without hid. Anyone done a led bulb swap? I want to do hi low and fogs. But want to make sure something like the bulbtech bulbs will fit in the housing.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Welcome.

Don't.

LED bulbs can't throw light far enough unless they are in a specially engineered LED housing/project. If you want brightness only for 10ft, then go LED.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Ilya is correct. LED headlamps look amazing, work great, and were the top of the tops until the advent of the new Laser headlamps. The reason that so few cars come with laser or LED headlamps is simple - the entire design, projection system, and housings had to completely reinvented to use them.
Your car (and any other HID or older system) cannot and will not ever be able to duplicate lED or laser technology because our cars do not have the required basic structure for them.
Since the advent of HID, there are loads of companies that sell 'kits' or bulbs that claim to provide HID-quality, but none of them actually do. We have all seen the older cars with blue-ish headlamps that try to match the color of HID beams, but only illuminate 20ft in front of the car and blind you if they are in oncoming traffic. It's the same with the LED headlamps. You can drive with obvious wanna-be LED headlamps and 'look cool', but only until an actual LED car pulls along side. Then it becomes obvious to everyone how far from the real thing you are, LOL.
The best way to leave the ancient halogen lack-luster performance behind is to upgrade with HID kits from https://www.theretrofitsource.com/
They have kits for headlamps, fog lamps and high beams that run about $150 BUT, if your car does NOT have the curved lens projector housing, you cannot use anything but standard halogen bulbs. Non-projector lenses will send light everywhere but in front of you if you buy those wanna-be HID or LED bulbs.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Here is an example of HID vs LED on my 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R which comes standard with halogen projectors:

daurislittle
Car: Infiniti M3 Sport
Nissan Altima Coupe S

can you keep your current ballast and use third party bulbs?
For example the Morimoto H7 did you use your current ballast or did you have to change that out

Ilya

daurislittle wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:54 am
can you keep your current ballast and use third party bulbs?
For example the Morimoto H7 did you use your current ballast or did you have to change that out
Well, those images are from my motorcycle, not a car so the kit was all one. It's just a good example that LED bulbs in a projector are useless. You need headlights specifically designed to use LED bulbs in order to use LED.

However, on your car, you can use any bulb you want with the OEM ballast as long as you have an existing HID system in your car (with bulb size D2S). On my '11 M56x, I ditched the OEM bulbs and got some Osram's.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

If your car uses an H7 bulb, your car uses halogen bulbs. Your car doesn't use a ballast ands does not have a projector beam HID system. The Infiniti HID system uses D2S size xenon bulbs. Even if your care DOES use a ballast and D2S bulbs, you still won't have the technology and systems to run an LED headlamp. This is the next evolution - one step past xenon HID. That is why they are only available on select newer vehicles. I'm sure Infiniti will follow the pack of Jag, Mercedes, Audi, and other in upcoming model years. There are plenty of 'crooks' out there who are selling what they cal "LED" systems. However, they don't even come close to the real thing. If you buy one of those wanna-be, kinda-like systems, you will join the group of posers with blue-ish head lamps that shine only about 10 feet in front of your car. You know, the ones we all snicker at when we see them? For H7 bulbs or ANY bulbs, I'd check The Retrofit Source to ensure I am getting an act\ual factory fresh product instead of the imitations sold on Ebay, Amazon, and the like.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”